Trying to wrap my head around IndyCar scanning

Status
Not open for further replies.

alduin

I'm getting ready to go to Pocono next weekend for the IndyCar race and trying to program my BC346XT. I've used it at the Baltimore Grand Prix the past couple years with limited success. I'm often able to hear the PA/broadcast channels and race control, but picking up the teams seems to be very hit-and-miss.

I've found several lists of frequencies on-line for this season:

http://twinpowerscanner.com/race/2013-DETRIOT-INDYCAR&FIRESTONE-INDY-LIGHTS.pdf
http://forums.radioreference.com/sports-recreational-events/264524-fyi-2013-indycar-frequencies.html
Race By Race - IndyCar Series Drivers for 2013

Finally, IndyCar publishes a spotter's guide that includes one frequency for each driver without the PL/DCS/CTCSS code. The one for this coming race isn't up yet, but they look something like this:

http://digbza2f4g9qo.cloudfront.net...ndyCar-Series/09-IOW/indycar-spotterguide.pdf

I think my main questions are:

• Some of these sources conflict with each other. Is it that common for teams to change frequencies over the course of a season?
  • For the lists I've found that include the tone codes, should I bother programming them since they are subject to change? Would it be smart/worthwhile to get a system set up with all of the tones and then copy/paste to a new system and blank out the codes?
  • Is it realistic to scan 70 or so channels (1 per car, plus up to 2 alternates per car, plus several for race control/ops) and expect to be able to hear full conversations, or do I need to be more selective about what I'm scanning?
  • Do they even use the alternate channels? If IndyCar's only including one on the spotter's guide, am I safe just scanning those?
  • I know there are companies that sell frequency lists at the event, but by then it's too late to program the scanner since I'm not going to lug a laptop with me. Are these lists pretty comprehensive, and if so is there any way to get them online before the event?

Thanks in advance for any insight you guys can provide!

Last edited:

bonk83

maybe some teams are using digital radios and others are using analog radios possible!

Harold

Premium Subscriber
Just go with the spotters guide, it is the most accurate information and provided by Indycar. I use it in Texas every year, never fails me. You are correct in that you would probably not hear anything on the alternate freqs, anyway. One other note, some teams use encryption during practice, but go clear during the race.

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; U; en-US) Gecko/20081217 Vision-Browser/8.1 301x200 LG VN530)

Which channel of those available to each crew they use at a particular track may depend on local useage within range of that track. Program them all in, determine which one is being used by each crew you're interested in on race day & lock the others out.

Status
Not open for further replies.