Attending First NASCAR Race

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc2kth

I'm planning on attending my first NASCAR race later in the year at Dover. I'd rather not bring my Uniden 436 if there is a better option (smaller, obviously don't need the full feature set of the 436). I'm wondering what folks recommend. I also have a PRO-106 but again that's a fair amount of radio for scanning 40-50 channels.

I'm also looking for programming tips. What do folks typically put in, how do you confirm who is who at the race, what else besides the teams primary and secondaries should I listen to? I'm trying to get this together ahead of time as I want to enjoy the race and not being "playing radio" the whole time.

Any tips on listening beneath ear protection? If I wasn't going to use the scanner I'd bring ear plugs and cups, the same gear Imuse for shooting at the range. In this case I'd want either phones or an earbud beneath my cups I expect.

Mark

Premium Subscriber
I always put in Nascar official freqs when at Dover.
NASCAR - The RadioReference Wiki

Be sure you have good tight full ear scanner headphones cause the noise at any seating level is monstrous.
Usually listen to live radio feed of MRN Radio inputs on 454.000 during race (commercial free) to hear what is going on.
Don't add too many drivers freqs or you'll go crazy chasing them.
Also like to add Kent County Delaware 800 trunking system in case things get crazy..
Dover PD encrypted but who cares.. Del State PD mostly wide open and they run the show at Dover races.
Dover tower AFB 126.350 AM and Dover appch 132.425 am as well for flybys and aircraft.

Last edited:

captainmax1

Premium Subscriber
I've found it easier and better to rent a Fanvision system from Racing Electronics for the weekend. They are all over the exterior of the track. They have good headphones and only about $50 for the 3 day weekend. It has video and audio and you can pick your car/cars you want to listen. I bought my own system with microphone so I can talk whoever is with me at the track. It's a great system and no programming.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
When myself and several friends went to Bristol last year many of them wanted scanners but didn't want to spend a large amount of $$ on a scanner or rentals. I ended up buying 5 Baofeng radios for $125, programmed them all up with a current drivers list and MRN etc (all channels RX only obviously) and charged my buddies $30 a piece. They had their own headsets and were happy as can be. The radios worked great, plus now they each have a radio for other uses.

pinkfish457

I've taken my scanner to Talladega many times. Hint: Don't load up too many drivers frequencies. Pick your favorite/s and stick with that. As mentioned load up MRN and the track frequencies. Lots of information before the race even starts. Use a "stubby antenna." You won't need a full size, all of the transmitters are in range..

Also if you give your kids one of the earphones, be careful the drivers language can be very colorful!

Status
Not open for further replies.