2018 IndyCar Series Frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

cellphone

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
I’m going to an IndyCar race in Phoenix this coming weekend. I am looking for a good source for current IndyCar driver frequency information. I usually stop by one of the race radio vendors when I get to the track to get a current frequency list, but I would like to program in advance to not spend as much time programming at the track.

Thanks in advance for links and suggestions.

Last edited:

K9DAK

Premium Subscriber

Attachments

• IndyCar Scanner Freqs.jpg
    IndyCar Scanner Freqs.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 2,993

Harold

Premium Subscriber
Spotters Guide with frequencies for each race is posted on Indycar.com. Look for the red bar in the upper right, click on the "Show Race +" and open the Spotters Guide.

KevinC

Junior Radio Guru
Super Moderator
Spotters Guide with frequencies for each race is posted on Indycar.com. Look for the red bar in the upper right, click on the "Show Race +" and open the Spotters Guide.

I'm not an Indy Car fan, but that's pretty cool of them to do that.

cellphone

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
Now that we have the drivers nailed down, how about Officials, Race Control, or other interesting frequencies?

Last edited:
no users or CTCSS codes but should help for Indy.
One of my clients is on 452.3375 about 1.5 miles from the track so the IMS might change that one.

Attachments

• WQZZ688 IMS.pdf
    19.2 KB · Views: 266

James86004

We attended Phoenix, and rented a radio for the first time. They had programmed the TV broadcast audio feed and that was very helpful for the race. We decided to try using our scanner at the race next weekend at Texas but can't find that frequency anywhere. It is not on the spotters guide, although all the driver's frequencies are.

Any ideas?

LenSatic

At PHX I just scanned the whole band and found the broadcast freq. that way. And you're right, the broadcast freq. was actually more interesting. A plus for me was that I used to work in TV back in the '70s and listening to the director and cameramen was more interesting than the race itself.

Good luck!

The freqs are assigned by the local SBE (society of broadcast engineers) coordinator. They run from 450 to 451 and the 5 MHz offset. Local stations use these freqs so the production crew changes their freqs each race to avoid interfering.

PL (program loop) freqs are tied into the production truck's intercom, these are used to cue announcers and camera operators. IFB (internal fold back) freqs carry program audio so pit announcers are in the loop with the booth 'talent' as announcers are called. IFB feeds are typically mix minus, which means program audio without effects audio (engine noise from an in-car camera or crowd noise).

Harold

Premium Subscriber
The Audio for Big Hoss at Texas Motor Speedway is on 454.700 .

kc9neq

Premium Subscriber
Indy Series Freq Info.

I was attempting to listen to some Indy car freqs around the Gateway Motorsports Park near St. Louis, Mo and noticed they appear to be digital. Any information as to what format they are using?

CaptMoore

I am new here, so forgive me if I should try to create a new topic vs just adding to this one.

I will be attending the 2018 Portland GP (INDYCAR) and was wondering if anyone has any idea of the frequencies to monitor during the event (other than those listed on the spotters guide).

Mostly I will be looking for drivers coms, and the tv broadcast audio feeds. Maybe the safety team frequencies as wll, although hopefully there will be no more big incidents this year.

A critique of my proposed setup might also be in order as well. I have a bc125at scanner, an audio booster, and a scanner headset I was planning on using. I have the built in antenna, but could also use the rh77ca antenna I purchased for airband monitoring.

If it rains, I was planning on just putting the scanner in a ziplock bag, but maybe there is a better solution?

I see they sell a tiny stubby antenna on some web sites as well, should I buy onel, or will it be a waste on road course vs an oval?

Links to equipment:

Booster: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EIWCFE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cans: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000051SD1/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Antenna: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M1X73EA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Scanner:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00772MR0K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There have been lists of freqs posted for the Indy 500, teams usually don't change from year to year.
I don't think there would be an advantage to using a stubby antenna unless the team is on 800 MHz. Most if not all are 450-470.

In the 10 years I did radios for the teams I never saw an audio amp used.

CaptMoore

There have been lists of freqs posted for the Indy 500, teams usually don't change from year to year.
I don't think there would be an advantage to using a stubby antenna unless the team is on 800 MHz. Most if not all are 450-470.

In the 10 years I did radios for the teams I never saw an audio amp used.

I have various frequencies programmed in from the spotter guide posted yesterday on the INDYCAR web site, and a few I found other frequencies online for other racetracks to try and see if they are using the same one.

The “booster” just splits the audio from the scanner to three jacks, and increases the audio volume. I saw that a bunch of the bc125at scanners online are sold modified to increase the headphone volume for racetracks, but I have a stock unmodified scanner. I suspect it will not be needed with the headset but am bringing it just in case I am wrong, I should find out during the first practice if i need it or if the volume from the scanner itself is adequate.

Status
Not open for further replies.