Service to host my online scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skud

Feed Provider
Middleville, MI-Barry County(Near G.R. & Ionia
If there a service I can stream my scanner to so I don’t have a bunch of user eating my bandwidth, along with being able to assign user names so I can allow certain people to always be able to connect(pay users) but then what say let 5 random user connect for only 1 hour at a time? I have wifi but only 128 kb upload so I would prefer to not eat that all up. I know it might be a pay service and that is ok.

ICP963

Feed Provider
Skud said:
sorry, software to stream the audio. I thought I saw it somewhere as it archives the audio.
added:
i see the option of hosting.
Check with Gordon at www.ScanGeorgia.com and he can eith point you towards the ScanWhatever site for your state, or if there is none for your state he can probably set one up for you in a short period.

Gordon was VERY helpful and we had www.ScanArizona.us set up and running very quickly.

TheUrge

I just started using ustream.tv for hosting. It works out awesome - it's all free and they have no problem with scaleability. They are using flash technology for streaming, and it's worked flawlessly for me so far.

As a bonus I can also broadcast video at the same time (hence the .tv tld) so I have a webcam pointed at my pro-97 showing alpha tags along with it :cool:

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/omaha-scanner

Last edited:

GordonE

Live Audio Administrator
Feed Provider
what software or service does this site use? anyone know?
http://www.scangwinnett.com/
ScanGwinnett.com is operated by myself, I provide 8 of the scanner 10 scanner feeds listed on that site.

I also operate ScanGeorgia.com, ScanColorado.com, ScanMiamiValley.com (covering all of Ohio), ScanArizona.us, ScanNewHampshire.com, ScanNorthCarolina.com, ScanIllinois.net, ScanMontana.com, ScanIndiana.com, and many more.

All of the feeds are provided using my own Icecast server with playlist files in multiple formats on all of the sites so that anyone can listen without having to download special software, this also allows people to listen via smart phones as well.

-- Gordon

Skud

Feed Provider
Middleville, MI-Barry County(Near G.R. & Ionia
ScanGwinnett.com is operated by myself, I provide 8 of the scanner 10 scanner feeds listed on that site.

I also operate ScanGeorgia.com, ScanColorado.com, ScanMiamiValley.com (covering all of Ohio), ScanArizona.us, ScanNewHampshire.com, ScanNorthCarolina.com, ScanIllinois.net, ScanMontana.com, ScanIndiana.com, and many more.

All of the feeds are provided using my own Icecast server with playlist files in multiple formats on all of the sites so that anyone can listen without having to download special software, this also allows people to listen via smart phones as well.

-- Gordon

I have been using Pirmcast but Windows Media Encorder keeps stopping and I cannot get it to start up withouth hitting enter at user name and password to start the encoder.

So I was looking at maybe using Icecast as with winamp people can see the video tags but people with media player could still hear the audio

I keep having Media Encoder stop working after a few days. Can you use anything else to stream with them that still works with Windows Media Player?

We broadcast our feed on both the IBN TeamSpeak server as well as the IBN Icecast server. If you use Icecast with the Lame MP3 encoder just about any media player should be able to listen to your stream.

Here is ours if you want to give it a listen in various players to see how it sounds:

http://207.150.179.84:8000/EdmontonFireRadio.m3u

Last edited:

GordonE

Live Audio Administrator
Feed Provider
Also, when providing a feed, I've found that it is best to use a bitrate of 24kbps (for a mono feed, 48kbps for a stereo one) and a sampling rate of 22050 or 44100. Using other settings could result in some players not being able to play your audio.

SCPD

QRT
Yes they still have feeds i guess why we all thought they shut down was because they went to a new server.

Livewire3286

Guess they just didnt have anyone great to run their service for them. How did you get to being their top admin so quickly again? I mean I know you were one before, well 2 or 3 times before LOL....

Status
Not open for further replies.