Brevard County, FL - Streaming through WME - Sound quality assistance please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KI4LIV

Premium Subscriber
I have an audigy 2 OEM card that I bought a while back. I am utilizing the latest beta drivers on Creative's website (older drivers had same issues).

I am streaming my BC785D via the microphone jack on this sound card.

I am recieving a hiss that I can't get past when streaming the audio.

When listening on a PC, it really isn't that bad of an issue as I can filter it out using the EQ in Windows Media Player, but when I try to listen via my Windows Mobile cell phone, the hiss is very obvious and annoying.

Please, take a listen:

PC:

mms://ki4liv.ham-radio-op.net:443

Windows Mobile:

mms://ki4liv.ham-radio-op.net:443/*

I've also tried using different cables, even a fairly expensive shielded cable, but still can't get past this issue.

Is there maybe an EQ app somewhere that lets you control how the audio is "recorded" or "encoded"?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Hey sounds very good on the pc feed!! Thanks for adding this. COPS is always in brevard county and the scanner does show it is busy. Do you think you can provide a list of all the channels you are broadcasting?

Anyways it sounds good, very clear. -Louie-

WouffHong

Brevard stream

Glad to see the Stream - I was streaming Brevard/KSC/CCFS/PAFB for years, including the 24-hour APCO25 stuff. Have been hoping someone would fill the gap! ;-) -- DO you HAVE APCO-25 capability??

On your stream: there IS a low-frequency ripple component and a "chirp" at the end of every transmission, but no way a big problem.. (chirp is a little, but tolerable. :) )

Captured a waveform-stream with no voice present - just the bare stream and attached it, just as an FYI..
Low Frequency is at left.. A look at the actual waveform (sinusoidal mode) does show the Low Frequency ripple..

granted - this is a very crude analysis, but all one can do from 800 Miles away! :)

Tom, W4NOV
http://kscops.com

I have an audigy 2 OEM card that I bought a while back. I am utilizing the latest beta drivers on Creative's website (older drivers had same issues).

I am streaming my BC785D via the microphone jack on this sound card.

I am recieving a hiss that I can't get past when streaming the audio.

When listening on a PC, it really isn't that bad of an issue as I can filter it out using the EQ in Windows Media Player, but when I try to listen via my Windows Mobile cell phone, the hiss is very obvious and annoying.

Please, take a listen:

PC:

mms://ki4liv.ham-radio-op.net:443

Windows Mobile:

mms://ki4liv.ham-radio-op.net:443/*

I've also tried using different cables, even a fairly expensive shielded cable, but still can't get past this issue.

Is there maybe an EQ app somewhere that lets you control how the audio is "recorded" or "encoded"?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Last edited:

KI4LIV

Premium Subscriber
Hey sounds very good on the pc feed!! Thanks for adding this. COPS is always in brevard county and the scanner does show it is busy. Do you think you can provide a list of all the channels you are broadcasting?

Anyways it sounds good, very clear. -Louie-

I'm streaming the following:

BCSO:
Brevard East
East Ops

Cocoa PD:
Operations
Dispatch
Tac 1
Tac 2

Melbourne PD:
Dispatch North (Primary dispatch, unless all hell breaks loose, then they split into a north/south divisional radio)
Talkaround North and South

Countywide use (good for interagency comms):
Countywide
Alert 1
Alert 2
Alert 3
Alert 4

KI4LIV

Premium Subscriber
Glad to see the Stream - I was streaming Brevard/KSC/CCFS/PAFB for years, including the 24-hour APCO25 stuff. Have been hoping someone would fill the gap! ;-) -- DO you HAVE APCO-25 capability??

On your stream: there IS a low-frequency ripple component and a "chirp" at the end of every transmission, but no way a big problem.. (chirp is a little, but tolerable. :) )

Captured a waveform-stream with no voice present - just the bare stream and attached it, just as an FYI..
Low Frequency is at left.. A look at the actual waveform (sinusoidal mode) does show the Low Frequency ripple..

granted - this is a very crude analysis, but all one can do from 800 Miles away! :)

Tom, W4NOV
http://kscops.com

Tom,

Sorry, but I have no digital capabilities. The chirp at the end of every transmission is normal when listening to an EDACS system on a Uniden scanner. I also have a GRE made Pro-97 and a "real deal" GE MPA radio - you can hear it as well on those, but the duration of the chirp is cut down a little.

Actually, thanks to you analysis, I think I have isolated the issue! I adjusted the audio to be recorded only from the right channel and I think it's cleared up now!

Take another listen!

WB2UZR

Nice feed, sounds good here. Now we need to get our heads together and set up the Cape Canaveral feed again!

Scott/WB2UZR

West Melbourne

WouffHong

Ccafs/ksc Apco 25

I had to do that also - should have mentioned it - I was streaming Mono for best audio. :)

I was ALMOST thinking of loaning my still-Programmed PRO-96 to someone to get the CCAFS/KSC stuff re-steaming, but that's a big investment to loan out (and lose the APCO25 stuff from a local Mil Base) :)

However, If anyone HAS a PRO-96 and/or PRO-2096 to stream, will send the Programming file.. (.P96 file)

Tom

NASA-KSC STS/ISS Comm/Nav Systems P.E. (Ret'd)

af5rn

Sweet! Brevard is where I grew up. I'd love to listen, but apparently this is strictly a PC thing?

Are you streaming all of those agencies into one feed? It's really annoying listening to a dozen channels on one feed. You never can follow a conversation without it switching to something else in between every transmission.

KI4LIV

Premium Subscriber
Yes, it's a PC or Windows Mobile only feed. Unfortunately I only have 3 scanners I could split these out onto, and then only 1 PC that I have that I can do the streaming from.

The only way i could get around this problem would be to buy multiple sound cards and then setup multilple virtual machines via VMWare and then dedicate each of those virtual machines to feeding only a few agencies through each feed.

Status
Not open for further replies.