scanner app for the iphone and ipod touch

Status
Not open for further replies.

omrail

just found this app called Police scanner. there is a lot of streams that are in the program. it is a new app so I would think more to come. as of 21 mar 09 it cost $2.99 (Canada store). Been using it for a day and it is cool.

Interesting. We just sent our feed information for inclusion in their listing. Thanks for pointing out this application.

Another app that you may want to have a look at is called ooTunes. This one is $3.99 in the iTunes store but has a ton of capability. Here is their current station list. If you don't see a station that you want to listen to in their directory, fill out this form and it will be quickly added. Ever since purchasing their application I have found that I listen to my other radio apps less and less. Plus with the ability to use ooTunes Server (sold separately) on my home computer I have access to the rest of my media files on the go. So I can watch a movie, listen to other radio feeds such as windows media or real audio that the iPod can't handle directly, listen to additional podcasts that are too large to fit on the device, etc.

chip448

Feed Provider
I have an app on my iPod Touch called WunderRadio. It costs $6, but with that you can access all of ScanAmerica's feeds, plus some railroad radio, and hundreds of commercial AM/FM radio stations. You can search radio stations by genre, topic, location, etc. I also use Fstream, but you must know the address of the stream in order to listen - there is no real search functionality that I can find. WunderRadio is my favorite app for scanner and radio listening by far.

omrail

i will have to look at WunderRadio. the thing i like about Police scanner is that you pick what you what from a list no having to know the address of the stream.

chip448

Feed Provider
Same with WunderRadio - you tap the name of the feed you want to listen to, and it starts streaming. No more having to put in those long addresses. I have not tried any other apps, aside from Fstream as I mentioned earlier. I'm always open for new and better things though.

I am currently helping to test the release candidate for the next version of ooTunes Radio that if all goes well will be submitted to the Apps Store.

I have been given permission to post a few of the features that will be in the next public release. This is not an all inclusive list so there are a lot of additional features. But some of the highlights include the following:

Listen to Scan America feeds as well as listen to the audio archives

Listen to LiveATC.net scanner feeds

Plays Shoutcast, Icecast, Live365, SeeqPod, Archive.org, Radiotime, MP3 Tunes stations right from their directory

NOAA All Hazards Radio online audio

The above not enough for your listening tastes? The ooTunes Radio directory ( ooTunes - Live Radio on your iPhone or iPod Touch ) has 6572 stations and growing.

Currently supports listening to the following formats:

MP3
wma (windows media)
aac+

The above can be in any format (.pls, .m3u, .asx, etc)

Still not enough for you? No problem. You also have the ability to connect with the ooTunes Server (sold separately) and stream just about any media format. You can also stream video content as long as it is compatible with the iPhone or iPod Touch.

For more information about ooTunes or if you have any questions you can visit their website at: ooTunes Media Server Home

GordonE

Live Audio Administrator
Feed Provider
Nope, due to the fact that no app can scan frequencies, all they can do is allow you to listen to audio that's being relayed by RadioReference.com (and other sites).

-- Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.