RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Computer Aided Monitoring and Programming > Streaming / Broadcasting / Audio Recording

Streaming / Broadcasting / Audio Recording - Interested in putting your scanner online for others to hear? Want to listen to other radios on the internet. This forum is here for you to discuss these topics related to streaming scanners online.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-19-2010, 11:54 AM
K1PGV, ScannerCast author
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitbr View Post
Is there a way to... have the tag only display and not change until the next tag is sent?
No, sorry, there isn't. The goal of ScannerCast is to sync the tag with the audio just like it appears on your scanner. From this point of view, leaving the tag displayed long after the audio has stopped would be a significant bug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitbr View Post
Can we select what is in this title area for the tag eg when using Simplecast and Talkgroup Monitor if I place the word scanning in the text file it will show the tag then switch to the word scanning when the scanner is scanning .
You can set the text that's displayed when the scanner is scanning (that is, no audio is being received by the scanner), in the "Scanning Text" tab ofnthe "Advanced" tab. For example, I have the text "...scanning..." in the "Scanning Text" box (check out my feed to see the effect).

Hope that helps,

Peter
K1PGV
Sponsored links
Old 02-01-2010, 3:50 PM

Had my first issue with Scanner Cast today. There problem on the LAN side of things so I rebooted the router and the feed computer. When everything came back up, Scanner Cast tried once to connect to the RR servers, before the WIFI connection was ready, and then gave up (I do have it set to autostart). It would be nice to have it keep retrying every so often like Oddcast does. That would allow it to recover from certain minor glitches without human intervention.
Old 02-01-2010, 3:51 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Hmmmm... ScannerCast DOES retry (or, ah, at least it's SUPPOSED to)... It pops up a dialog box on initial connection failures and asks how you'd like to proceed.

Can you say a bit more about what ScannerCast said or did? Did you get an exception? Any info from the log available??

Peter
K1PGV
Old 02-23-2010, 9:18 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Angry Having trouble the scancast will not for for me

OK just recently I had done just what the instructions told me to do so I did just that and now I am getting a running error so what do I do now? Punt? I would of been broadcasting Aircrafts on my Radio Shack 433 desk top plus I do have a digital base station scanner so which one would be better? Also since I am having an issue of scancast is there an older version of this because the BETA does not work on my system.

Thanks,
Daniel IA123 NH Dispatcher
Old 04-21-2010, 2:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterGV View Post
Hmmmm... ScannerCast DOES retry (or, ah, at least it's SUPPOSED to)... It pops up a dialog box on initial connection failures and asks how you'd like to proceed.

Can you say a bit more about what ScannerCast said or did? Did you get an exception? Any info from the log available??

Peter
K1PGV
Where the problem lies is that ScannerCast loads before Wifi establishes a connection to the router. Then it will give me a prompt box before it goes any further which makes it impossible to fully automate. This seems to be the only place where Oddcast/Edcast still has an advantage. No user input required upon a program error. If the connection wasn't ready yet, it would silently keep trying until it was.
Sponsored links
Old 04-21-2010, 3:18 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwh367 View Post
Where the problem lies is that ScannerCast loads before Wifi establishes a connection to the router. Then it will give me a prompt box before it goes any further which makes it impossible to fully automate. This seems to be the only place where Oddcast/Edcast still has an advantage. No user input required upon a program error. If the connection wasn't ready yet, it would silently keep trying until it was.
Good point. ScannerCast's behavior in these instances is "by design" -- It special-cases the FIRST attempt to connect to the server, and if it's not successful it asks what you want to do.

This is, I think, the right behavior when you manually configure the Icecast server information (in ScannerCast Std Edition), but it might NOT be necessary when you auto-configure (in Std Edition or in ScannerCast RR Edition).

Let me think about this some more.

Thanks much for your feedback. It's very helpful.

Peter
K1PGV
Old 04-21-2010, 5:19 PM
Troublemaker
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Quote:
Not impossible to automate at all, just need to be a little creative. There is a very powerful, easy to use utility called NirCmd that would be perfect for your situation.

NirCmd - Windows command line tool

You set it up so that at Windows startup, NirCmd calls the ScannerCast executable after waiting 60 seconds, to ensure the WiFi connection is established. The command would be:

nircmd.exe cmdwait 60000 exec show "C:\Program Files\ScannerCast\ScannerCast.exe"

The easiest way to call the command after reboot is to add it as a String Value entry to the registry under HKLM Run:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run
Old 04-21-2010, 5:22 PM
Troublemaker
Database Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterGV View Post
Good point. ScannerCast's behavior in these instances is "by design" -- It special-cases the FIRST attempt to connect to the server, and if it's not successful it asks what you want to do.

This is, I think, the right behavior when you manually configure the Icecast server information (in ScannerCast Std Edition), but it might NOT be necessary when you auto-configure (in Std Edition or in ScannerCast RR Edition).

Let me think about this some more.

Thanks much for your feedback. It's very helpful.

Peter
K1PGV
While my previous post offers a solution for his specific issue, I would also like to see some type of "Auto-connect without prompting" option added to ScannerCast.
Old 04-21-2010, 5:27 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Hmmmm...

Perhaps ScannerCast can default to "auto-connect without prompting", when you've previously successfully established a connection using the same parameters?

We don't want an option to just shut off the error pop-ups on the initial connect... that'll lead to too much noob confusion and all sorts of errors.

I'm also a bit concerned about creating "hidden errors" -- These can be very difficult for users to find and diagnose. Say... you move your machine across the room, you forget to plug the ethernet cable back in, you restart your machine, ScannerCast starts and it just sits there... Well, I suppose it COULD raise an "Lost Connection" notification in your tool tray in this instance...

Peter
K1PGV
Old 04-21-2010, 6:43 PM
Troublemaker
Database Admin

No, we don't want to completely shut off these errors, that would be counterproductive as you said. What would be nice is if there were a way to have ScannerCast present a pop-up notification warning of no connection being present, then advising it will try to auto-connect automatically. It could try to reconnect automatically every 30 seconds or so, and maybe there could even be a countdown on the pop-up along with options to "Reconnect Now" and "Exit". I don't want to make this more complicated than it needs to be, but I suppose it doesn't hurt throwing some options out there either!
Old 04-21-2010, 7:02 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Well, ScannerCast already has some pretty complex re-connection logic (it tries to reconnect after a connection is lost after 5 seconds, 10 seconds, 20 seconds, 40 seconds, and then every 60 seconds until the connection resumes or you stop ScannerCast). It's just that all that logic is very deliberately conditionalized by it not being the initial connection attempt.

And dialog boxes that dynamically update (with a count-down timer) or that auto-close are things that are generally beyond my GUI programming capability :-)

I'm sure we can come up with something. I need to think of this some more. The scenario you've described (where you KNOW the darn parameters are correct, and you don't need your hand held, and ScannerCast could just HELP OUT a bit instead of being so picky) is one I've never considered.

That just shows you how valuable community feedback is...

As always, I am VERY grateful for the feedback and suggestions.

Peter
K1PGV
Old 04-22-2010, 8:45 AM

Default DOS startup script

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chauffeur6 View Post
Not impossible to automate at all, just need to be a little creative.
Another way to do it with only one simple piece of additional software (sleep.exe) is to use Windows' pathetic excuse for a shell scripting language to test for network connectivity in a startup script, then and only then proceed to issue the commands to start applications that can only function properly with net access. I use this method on my streaming machines.

*** begin included code ***

rem echo off (optional if you don't like messages flying across your screen)

:netstart
net view \\<Windotws name or i.p. address of your streaming client computer goes here>
if errorlevel 1 goto :sleep
echo .

rem Now check if you can reach out to another machine on your LAN
net view \\server1
if errorlevel 1 goto :nonet
net use z: \\server1\shared

rem Put other commands or scripts here
ScannerCast.exe

rem echo on (matches the ' echo off ' at the top)
exit

:sleep
echo "SLEEEEP, DATA..........................................."

c:\windows\sleep.exe 5
goto :netstart

:nonet
echo Unable to connect to server!!!!!
pause
exit

*** end included code ***

Crude, but effective.

Basically, the streaming client computer will loop forever until a successful attempt at listing its own network resources, then it falls through the errorlevel test and executes any additional commands, which could be another script or just firing off ScannerCast.

If it fails, it sits there telling you so that you can't miss it. Then your job, should you decide to accept, is to find the problem and fix it.

Sleep.exe is a neat, simple, little utility that is available on the Net that mimics the unix sleep command. Google for it.
Old 04-22-2010, 8:33 PM
Database Admin
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Had my first issue with Scanner Cast today. There problem on the LAN side of things so I rebooted the router and the feed computer. When everything came back up, Scanner Cast tried once to connect to the RR servers, before the WIFI connection was ready, and then gave up (I do have it set to autostart). It would be nice to have it keep retrying every so often like Oddcast does. That would allow it to recover from certain minor glitches without human intervention.
You could try to set a static ip and dns for your lan on a ip that you know your router will no assian to someone on the first line ix xx.xx.xx.01 but something to the end xx.xx.xx.50. This will let windows to cutoff time during its boot time since it dosent have to figure what number to run it when it sends out for a dhcp. This should allow the program to think it is online when it lanuches since windows alread has it numbers.
Old 04-23-2010, 9:54 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Question ScannerCast problem

I'm having a problem with ScannerCast, and I also have a suggestion for a feature. Sorry if someone's posted these already, I didn't see it.

ScannerCast works great for me. The feed is always up and there aren't many drops, if any. However, after a variable amount of time - sometimes a month, sometimes an hour - the archive files only end up with 15 minutes of audio instead of 30. When I look at the RR archive page, it shows 30 minute increments, but when I open the downloaded audio, there's only 15 minutes of audio there. Also, the audio is frequently juxtaposed - the end of the clip is at the beginning and vice-versa. If you listen live - usually it works fine, but at some times, if you listen live for 15 minutes, there's no audio after that.

Rebooting solves the problem, but only for a certain time (the amount of time varies). Any input on this is appreciated.

As for the suggested feature: could it be possible to "sync" the recorded audio to an even time. For example, if I start the feed at 4:47 PM, can it sync the feed so that the next 30 minute clip starts at 5:00 PM to 5:30 PM. If you follow me. This would make it much easier to find audio later on.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:09 PM
Troublemaker
Database Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlsentell View Post
I'm having a problem with ScannerCast, and I also have a suggestion for a feature. Sorry if someone's posted these already, I didn't see it.

ScannerCast works great for me. The feed is always up and there aren't many drops, if any. However, after a variable amount of time - sometimes a month, sometimes an hour - the archive files only end up with 15 minutes of audio instead of 30. When I look at the RR archive page, it shows 30 minute increments, but when I open the downloaded audio, there's only 15 minutes of audio there. Also, the audio is frequently juxtaposed - the end of the clip is at the beginning and vice-versa. If you listen live - usually it works fine, but at some times, if you listen live for 15 minutes, there's no audio after that.

Rebooting solves the problem, but only for a certain time (the amount of time varies). Any input on this is appreciated.

As for the suggested feature: could it be possible to "sync" the recorded audio to an even time. For example, if I start the feed at 4:47 PM, can it sync the feed so that the next 30 minute clip starts at 5:00 PM to 5:30 PM. If you follow me. This would make it much easier to find audio later on.
Check your email regarding the "15 minute archive" issue.

Also, the archive times have nothing to do with ScannerCast, that's all on the RR side of things.
Old 04-24-2010, 9:47 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlsentell View Post
I'm having a problem with ScannerCast, and I also have a suggestion for a feature.
However, after a variable amount of time - sometimes a month, sometimes an hour - the archive files only end up with 15 minutes of audio instead of 30. When I look at the RR archive page, it shows 30 minute increments, but when I open the downloaded audio, there's only 15 minutes of audio there. Also, the audio is frequently juxtaposed - the end of the clip is at the beginning and vice-versa. If you listen live - usually it works fine, but at some times, if you listen live for 15 minutes, there's no audio after that.
Interesting. I've heard about the 15-minute archive issue before.

Unfortunately, the issues you're seeing are almost certainly not due to ScannerCast. ScannerCast just builds and forwards packets of audio and tag data to the RR Server. It doesn't have anything to do with the archives, which are generated on the RR Server side.

I wish I could help, but this doesn't sound like anything that ScannerCast can control. I suggest you post something in the Live Audio admin forum here, and see if one of the Audio Admins can help you out.

Sorry!

Peter
K1PGV