Scanner Streaming Apps for Android (Droid)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TangoBlue

Premium Subscriber
So I recently picked up a Motorola Droid which runs the Android 2.0 OS. I was wondering last night "Does RadioReference have an app for Android?", and literally a moment later I received the RadioReference Email newsletter. The newsletter mentioned mobile apps for listening to the streaming scanners, but Android was absent.

I did a quick check of the Android Marketplace on my Droid, and there was an app called "Police Stream" which mentions having 2,500 live Police radio streams. It works really well, and is nice to have streaming while driving (While also running the Navigation App....which the iPhone can't do).

You can find it on the Android Marketplace on your phone, but you can also see it mentioned on the AndroLib site at PoliceStream v1.2 Application for Android | Communication

It doesn't have all the streams that RR seems to have, so I am not sure if they are using it as their backend.

Playing status (not streaming in the pic)

Sorted by Stream name

Sorted by State

Police Codes Reference (not universal)

Map view of Streaming based upon GPS. Nice if you travel

Anyone know of any other Android Scanning Apps? I'm going to check out the DroidLive player and the web based RadioReference links, but I would like to see a standalone app if possible.

Attachments

• CAP200912142054.jpg
    CAP200912142054.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 30,810
  • CAP200912142055.jpg
    CAP200912142055.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 30,320
  • CAP200912142057.jpg
    CAP200912142057.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 30,336
  • CAP200912142101.jpg
    CAP200912142101.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 30,242
  • CAP2009121420571.jpg
    CAP2009121420571.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 30,447
Last edited:

TangoBlue

Premium Subscriber
Rdale,

Yes, you can browse to RR Mobile and it will allow you to stream in the default Music app, or the DroidLive app. Droid live has a sleep timer which is kind of nice for falling asleep too.

I had posted this since the newsletter was mentioning the mobile apps specifically.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Thanks, I was looking at Droiding in the near future and doing so as cheap as possible was in my best interest ;)

jasonk

Feed Provider
Droid Live

I downloaded Droid Live - I have the HTC Hero ...... From Sprint

Point your browser to RR Mobile

Find the Feed you want to monitor ......It will ask you which audio player to use. Just select Droid Live. Very Simply ......Worked flawlessley.

Jason

brueger

Feed Provider
Tks

Tks for this info Jason. I was worried that my new phone was not going to be able to get the feed from my city.

cdavidc

So of all the counties in Colorado, my county seems to be one of about 5 that aren't availible. 1. why? 2. How do I go about getting this up around here?

DaWeav

This is fine if you just want some uncontrollable Audio streams, but I have a RadioShack PRO-106 which coupled with Don Starr's WIN500 application provides not only audio streaming audio from my scanner, but also remote control of my scanner. Don Starr only provides a Windows Mobile client at this time so there is no Android app that can do what his Windows Mobile app does.

So, what we need is an Android programmer that has the RadioShack PRO-106 or PRO-197, or the GRE PSR500 or PSR600 that would be willing to contact Don Starr to hopefully get his Windows Mobile Client source code and port it over to the Android platform.

kc9lxk

This is fine if you just want some uncontrollable Audio streams, but I have a RadioShack PRO-106 which coupled with Don Starr's WIN500 application provides not only audio streaming audio from my scanner, but also remote control of my scanner. Don Starr only provides a Windows Mobile client at this time so there is no Android app that can do what his Windows Mobile app does.

So, what we need is an Android programmer that has the RadioShack PRO-106 or PRO-197, or the GRE PSR500 or PSR600 that would be willing to contact Don Starr to hopefully get his Windows Mobile Client source code and port it over to the Android platform.

As Android grows in popularity and more importantly as I prepare to buy a Sprint EVO when it is released in the next couple months, I find myself spoiled by the Win500_PPC application and listening to my PSR-500 while out and about. Being a .NET and Java Developer, I just reached out to Don Starr to see if he is interested in sharing the information necessary to build an application just like the PPC app for Android.

I will keep you updated if I hear anything back from him.

ETMegabyte

I did a quick check of the Android Marketplace on my Droid, and there was an app called "Police Stream" which mentions having 2,500 live Police radio streams. It works really well, and is nice to have streaming while driving (While also running the Navigation App....which the iPhone can't do).

You can find it on the Android Marketplace on your phone, but you can also see it mentioned on the AndroLib site at PoliceStream v1.2 Application for Android | Communication

I used PoliceStream for awhile and liked it, however, for some reason after like 10 days of use, when I open it it pops up a windows asking me to "Enter Goog Order #" and won't let me use it. So, I guess it wants me to pay for it? If I just hit the "Verify" button, another window tells me to "buy PoliceStramLicense app from the Market"... Oh, and the typo to the left is not me, it's how the window shows it...

I'm currently using XiiaLive Lite, and it works pretty good as long as you have 3G signal, but it drops all the time on WiFi and 1x. The standard Droid player doesn't drop on Wifi or 1x, so it's something to do with that player... I'd use the standard Droid player except that it doesn't show tags... Oh, and XiiaLive Lite Force Closes if it loses whatever network connection it had (switch from 3g to 1x or to WiFi)

Are there any other options that I'm just not seeing?

Last edited:

phone_guy

Premium Subscriber
I use ScannerBuddy on my Samsung Moment...Wroks great...I'm running a rooted version of Andoid 2.1

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
I use Gordons Scanner Radio Pro. Yes its the paid version. I had it on my BB and was happy with it and now that i have an EVO i am still happy with the program. The Pro version has the ability to do 1x2 or 1x4 widget with your favorites. I have a 1x4 set up with Dallas Fire Rescue, so at a monents notice i can just click the icon and it will connect to just that feed.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
I use to have the radioreference.com app I am not able to find it on play google is it still out there? I have it on my music player but not able to transfer the app over and I can't see it on computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.