Scanner Cast Software Suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
I am currently using the RR version of K1PGV's Scanner Cast for my 2 audio feeds to RR. One feed is supporting ALPHA tags.
For ALPHA tags, in the next up date I would like to see a modification of "Diagnostic Information" found under the "Advanced" Tab.
Currently you can get the information that is being sent from the scanner through the Scanner Cast out to the audio server at RR.
However, this line is truncated due to the "Suspend sending tags" button.
I would like to see this information either under its own Tab or located where it can display all the information. Also it would be helpful if and if this was a choice, to have this information could be displayed in a small window when the program in minimized. It is a matter of convenience, sometimes the scanner that we are using for the audio feed in not close to the computer to see its display. I think this additional functionality would help keep an eye on the scanner from the computer desktop with out running across the room to check things.
My 2 bit suggestion...thanks for reading.:cool:

PeterGV

K1PGV
Hey Ken,

Thanks for the suggestion! I always appreciate hearing good ideas. By working together, we'll make ScannerCast the best utility it can be for the community.

For the RR Edition, there's no reason the diag information couldn't move to the Status tab.

Thanks for a good idea! (Tracked as work item #24)

Peter
K1PGV

Last edited:

mwiseley

Feed Provider
Can you get the Scannercast to autostart

So... I love the newest version of the ScannerCast RR Edtion and want to thank you for creating it, but I do have a couple small complaints. I would like to see the ScannerCast autostart. I had the old version in the startup group so when the computer rebooted it automatically launched and started the app. Second would be to make it a service or at least minimize to an icon by the clock. This runs on a computer in the radio room and multiple people get on that computer and end up closing the feed accidentally or Windows update causes the computer to reboot and takes my feed offline. If I missing something to get this to work as it exist today, then please let me know.

Thanks,
Mark Wiseley
Erie Fire Department
Whiteside County Police, Fire, & EMS Feed Provider

mwiseley

Feed Provider
Wow, do I feel stupid. Just looked through the app again, and everything I asked for is already there. Sorry, please disregard the message above.

SCPD

QRT
Hi Pete,

Thanks for looking over my idea.
First, I don't want to be considered that lazy person who is to "lazy" to walk across the room to check their scanner:D!
A little background here if you dont mind please...This idea comes from Butel's ARC 396 Scanner Program where you can take virtual control of the scanner and thus you have a virtual display of the scanners functions on your computer desktop. When the program is minimized
you get a small almost thumb nails screen of the scanner scanning activity.
Unfortunately you can not run Scanner Cast and ARC 396 simultaneously due to the fact the both need the same com port.
So thus this idea to have built into Scanner Cast a dialog box, tab etc either the diagnostic information being sent out to RR and or have this info also available when then program is minimized in to a small window.
In other words we we have the ability to see the "TAG" info locally as it is being sent out to RR. This also would be useful for the feed provider to adjust and clarify "ALPHA Tags".
Pete, you may want to embellish this idea with more bells and whistles as you and perhaps other users suggestions see fit. OK I have keyboarded to much here already:lol:!
Again thank you for considering this idea. I hope you use it and it works!

Have a great day:D!

PeterGV

K1PGV
Hey, Ken!

Most of the cool ideas that are in ScannerCast today came from the users... so, you're input is much appreciated.

So... let me clarify: What you *really* want to see are the tags as they're being sent, in "real time" so to speak... not necessarily the "diagnostic information" (which has all sorts of miscellaneous junk and squiggles in it). Is that correct?

I just want to make sure I fully understand your idea. Either one is pretty easy to implement!

Peter
K1PGV

SCPD

QRT
Pete,

Yes, that would be it, to see the tags live as they are sent. So my friend perhaps you will need two "tabs" in a future updated version of your program.

• One tab, for diagnostic, again this line should be clear to allow for the maximum number of characters to be displayed, as aforementioned with no function button clipping of the last bit of info.

• 2nd Tab, "Tag Preview". Again users can then edit and modify their scanner's System, Group and Ch Description Tags. The idea here is to have this information both accurate and concise as possible. A shorter but more descriptive string would be a benefit. Especially in WINAMP and other playback applications etc..
Pete, That's it from me on this subject right now, for me and the Mrs we are out for the day on a long deserved date:D!
Ooops I am slipping into my personal life here!
Have a great weekend too!:wink:

SCPD

QRT
"Scanner Scan?"

Pete,

This may be a whole new ball of wax but I am going to throw it out there to you as the programmer and designer for Scanner Cast.
You know there are various Play Back programs out there that can play back the RR audio streams, plus their tag information if supported i.e., WinAmp, Windows Media Player,REAL Player etc.
Perhaps it is time to design a Player program that matches “Scanner Cast”! A dedicated player, specifically designed for scanner enthusiast using RR. In other words it would appear similar to a “virtual control window” as seen in some scanner software programs. However, This player (which I have given the name of “Scanner Scan” ) program could be designed with the “bells and whistles” for those who want to monitor scanner audio feeds over the internet via Radio Reference and others. It would play the audio and display tag information properly in a “virtual control window”. Also the program dose not have to be limited to just scanners, perhaps also amateur and commercial two-way radios for receive purposes or audio only.

There, now something to really to think about:roll:!

Now I am out the door on that date with my lovely wife….

PeterGV

K1PGV
I always appreciate the suggestions, Ken, thanks... Keep 'em comin'!

So much software to write... so little time,

Peter
K1PGV

phillmobile

hi i just want to say that scanner cast is great thanks for the software

1 question

would it be possible to have tags from a icom pcr 1000

thanks

phill
uk

Status
Not open for further replies.