Wi Fi Radios campatable with RR streams?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FoeHammer

Premium Subscriber
Ive been interested in Wi-FI radios for a while & have narrowed it down to the
Logitech squeezebox , Squeezebox these stand alone units connect to your wireless router and can play internet steams
such as shoutcast radio stations & others , i am just curious if anyone has a wi fi radio working with RR feed streams ?

jerry092975

Feed Listeners

#User Agent
15 Internet Explorer
9 Safari
7 Firefox
1 CORE/6.506.4.1 OpenCORE/2.02 (Linux;Android 2.2)
1 Logitech Squeezbox (audio1.radioreference.com 4.5.2)
4 Scanner Radio/1.9.7 (Android 2.2, ADR6300)

1 stagefright/1.0 (Linux;Android 2.2)

if this helps

Last edited:

brandon

Database Admin
Squeezebox works just fine for live audio. Alpha tags and everything.

FoeHammer

Premium Subscriber
That is great news , Im looking at maybe after Christmas for the price to drop ,
So it is possible after installing the app ,that explains how to do it as well , Thanks for the responses
I had read mixed reviews of the unit but all seemed to be early firmware versions , so hopefully latest firmware is good , Also does anyone know if the batterypack/remote is available in Ontario Canada ?
does it have to be ordered directly from logitech?
Also just curious , for those that have one , is the wireless range pretty good? will i be able to go say 60 ft out to may patio?

Last edited:

ChargerSRT8

Premium Subscriber
I saw this thread and wondered:

Could i use this type of device to receive a stream from my scanner on my home network to this device while in the garage or at the pool, maybe using VLC?

FoeHammer

Premium Subscriber
well the wifi radio im looking at is a stand alone unit for recieving,...but if you set up a streaming scanner you should be able to hear it with one of these or another computer on a wireless network i would think , I thought you could do it with shoutcast & winamp as well

scannerbox

Local stream

For listening to a local scanner over your home network with a Logitech Squeezebox you have two options. You can connect to the RadioReference stream over the internet (if you stream your scanner). The other option is you setup a Icecast server and stream the scanner to Icecast (and RadioReference at the same time using edcast). You can then point the Squeezebox at the local server for audio. The nice thing about a local Icecast stream is you can increase the audio bitrate and get much clearer audio.

KB0VWG

Range

That is great news , Im looking at maybe after Christmas for the price to drop ,
So it is possible after installing the app ,that explains how to do it as well , Thanks for the responses
I had read mixed reviews of the unit but all seemed to be early firmware versions , so hopefully latest firmware is good , Also does anyone know if the batterypack/remote is available in Ontario Canada ?
does it have to be ordered directly from logitech?
Also just curious , for those that have one , is the wireless range pretty good? will i be able to go say 60 ft out to may patio?

I cant answer the other questions about the squeezbox because i dont have one yet. But the wireless range will all depend on where your router is placed in the home, If its up in a good high location then you shouldnt have any problems. If you can take your laptop out to the patio and surf then the radio should do just the same.
73s
Michael
kb0vwg

secs

I am interested to know what happens if you loose the net etc. When it comes back up will the squeze box keep trying to bring the link/stream back up?

scannerbox

I am interested to know what happens if you loose the net etc. When it comes back up will the squeze box keep trying to bring the link/stream back up?

The Squeezebox radio will attempt to reconnect if it looses a connection to the stream for a limited amount of time. You can adjust the number of seconds that it will retry. I have found that setting it to around 50 seconds seems to work ok, this is long enough for most feeds to come back up.

If your connection is down for a long amount of time it will eventually give up.

NYRHKY94

I have two Squeezebox radios. One for the upstairs Master bedroom and one down in the first floor shack. Both of them are running on my wireless network and work great from a coverage standpoint. I have the Scannerbox app loaded on both units. The audio is also very nice on the Squeezebox. A great product IMO.

FoeHammer

Premium Subscriber
Ive been running scannerbox for a while now on my SB radio & works great Im getting good wireless range &
hopefully Ill find a place to pick up the battery & remote in the spring

PeterGV

K1PGV
For listening to a local scanner over your home network with a Logitech Squeezebox you have two options. You can connect to the RadioReference stream over the internet (if you stream your scanner). The other option is you setup a Icecast server and stream the scanner to Icecast (and RadioReference at the same time using edcast). You can then point the Squeezebox at the local server for audio. The nice thing about a local Icecast stream is you can increase the audio bitrate and get much clearer audio.

The THIRD option is to use the FULL (still free) version of ScannerCast to act as a local Icecast/SHOUTcast server and have your SqueezeBox connect to it directly.

That's what I do... (I love my SqueezeBoxes)

Peter
K1PGV

Status
Not open for further replies.