New offering - RadioFeed 1.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
I just released RadioFeed. It's a no cost solution.

Available at http://www.proscan.org on the right side of the page.

RadioFeed is a combination Source Client and Web Server.
The Source Client streams to RadioReference, IceCast, and ShoutCast servers. The Web Server serves a web page and audio.

There's not a help file or Wiki yet but it will be coming. Basically there are three steps for streaming.
1) Set up the metadata. Optional.
2) Setup the audio
3) Setup the Source Client or Web Server.

I believe RadioFeed is perfect and rock solid. You be the judge.
I will be doing GRE text tag support next and then a Wiki setup and quick start guide.

Last edited:
Looks interesting. I'll download it and give it a try with our feed.
/edit - Program installed and broadcasting. It was very easy to configure and get up and running. I really like the interface. Looks like an outstanding program.

I will let it run for the next few days and then report back. Thank you for making this available to the community.

Jeff

Last edited:

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
When you say "streams to RadioReference, IceCast, and ShoutCast servers" does that mean it can send to them at the same time, or you mean "pick one"?

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Looks interesting. It will be more interesting to me, once GRE models are supported. :)

I noticed that there is a left and right audio, will you support having separate radios connected? (For instance, you could have L hooked up to your trunking scanner, and R hooked up to your conventional scanner.)

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Looks interesting. It will be more interesting to me, once GRE models are supported. :)

I noticed that there is a left and right audio, will you support having separate radios connected? (For instance, you could have L hooked up to your trunking scanner, and R hooked up to your conventional scanner.)

That depends on how you have things wired. If you have the left channel wired to one scanner, the right channel wired to another scanner, have those fed into a stereo y-adapter / audio cable combo and terminated with a stereo jack plugged into your soundcard, then you can use both channels. It isn't a function of the program but rather is dependent upon how you wire things up.

Mike

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Looks interesting. I'll download it and give it a try with our feed.
/edit - Program installed and broadcasting. It was very easy to configure and get up and running. I really like the interface. Looks like an outstanding program.

I will let it run for the next few days and then report back. Thank you for making this available to the community.

Jeff

Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad you found it easy to setup as that is a major objective during the design.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad you found it easy to setup as that is a major objective during the design.

It's definitely a no-brainer. Very nice interface. I stream a couple feeds to RR and am happy with what I'm using now, but I'll probably give yours a try. Based upon the ease of setup, I'm thinking it's going to be very popular.

Thanks for making that available for free!

Mike

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
When you say "streams to RadioReference, IceCast, and ShoutCast servers" does that mean it can send to them at the same time, or you mean "pick one"?

Each instance of RadioFeed can only stream to one or the other but the good news is you can stream to multiple servers at the same time by running multiple instances of RadioFeed.

Running Multiple Instances.
1) Copy the RadioFeed folder to a new folder.
2) Change the options.
3) Run RadioFeed.

Last edited:

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Interesting - so that will take one audio input feed and send it out multiple times?

krokus

Premium Subscriber
I guess I should have clarified: Adding the ability to support text tags from the differing sources. I realize this could add a fair bit to the size of the program, but could be beneficial to monitoring. (Only need one copy of the program running, one playback running, and still being able to follow multiple systems.)

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber

RadioFeed is very versatile. You can use separate inputs and stream mono or stereo. It's not recommended streaming to the public as the audio at the media player will be combined so if like two people talking at the same time.

If you are streaming to your self at a remote location and you know there are two channels, you can use the L-R balance control on the media player to switch left or right channel.

Ideally using the left and right sliders if running two instances of RadioFeed, one instance left slider up and the right slider down. Set the other instance opposite slider positions.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Interesting - so that will take one audio input feed and send it out multiple times?

Yes by running multiple instances of RadioFeed.
Also the left and right sliders operate independently of the other instances.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
I guess I should have clarified: Adding the ability to support text tags from the differing sources. I realize this could add a fair bit to the size of the program, but could be beneficial to monitoring. (Only need one copy of the program running, one playback running, and still being able to follow multiple systems.)

Streaming to the same or seperate servers?

This is interesting. I'm giving this deep thought. I could see it being beneficial running the Source Client and Web Server from the same instance but that's about it. Using audio from the left and right inputs to the same server is not recommended and I think the metadata would experience the same problem except worse. At the moment I'm not leaning either direction.

The size of the program is not an issue as I always look at things from a user perspective.

ScanYak

Feed Provider
In attempting to install RadioFeed 1.0 I see it requires .NET Framework 4.0.
I have .NET Framework 2.0 running your ProScan on a t5710 ThinClient. Have you designed it to require the 4.0 version to install and run RadioFeed?

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
I have .NET Framework 2.0 running your ProScan on a t5710 ThinClient. Have you designed it to require the 4.0 version to install and run RadioFeed?

Yes it's by design that it targets the .net 4.0 framework. The next version of ProScan will also target 4.0. Are we dealing with a memory limitation where only one of the framework has room?

EDIT: Now that I thought about this, I should of targeted the .net 2.0 framework. Next release 1.1 Tuesday night will target the 2.0 net framework.
EDIT AGAIN: Next version of ProScan will continue to target .net 2.0.

Last edited:

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber

I just uploaded RadioFeed 1.1 to my site. The only change is now RadioFeed targets the Microsoft NET 2.0 Framework insted of 4.0.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
I just uploaded RadioFeed 1.1 to my site. The only change is now RadioFeed targets the Microsoft NET 2.0 Framework insted of 4.0.
Being a .NET programmer myself, what was the reason for targeting .NET 2.0 instead of having people upgrade?

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Being a .NET programmer myself, what was the reason for targeting .NET 2.0 instead of having people upgrade?

My program doesn't care if using 2.0 or 4.0. RadioFeed is not using anything that's new in 4.0. I decided to target the 2.0 net framework for two reasons.
1) 4.0 doesn't work on Win 98 and 2.0 does. 2) ProScan in the past targeted 2.0 so if anyone using ProScan and now want's to use RadioFeed. They dont have to wait for 4.0 to be installed if they don't have 4.0.

richtidd

Database Admin
My program doesn't care if using 2.0 or 4.0. RadioFeed is not using anything that's new in 4.0. I decided to target the 2.0 net framework for two reasons.
1) 4.0 doesn't work on Win 98 and 2.0 does. 2) ProScan in the past targeted 2.0 so if anyone using ProScan and now want's to use RadioFeed. They dont have to wait for 4.0 to be installed if they don't have 4.0.

Also .net 2.0 fits in limited flash HD space like on a Thin Client.

Thanks for the changes as this will make the program usefull to more feed owners who want to use it this way.

Status
Not open for further replies.