What are you using?

Status
Not open for further replies.

keithmj

Saint Petersburg, Pinellas County, Florida
I have the three Pinellas County Feeds and have been trying different solutions to get them running as they should be. Right now I have them all on different HP thin clients but am having problems with the audio on the Sheriff and St Pete Police and I need to change it out. To those who run two or three feeds what are you using? Thin clients or just a computer? Or are you using something else or all on the same unit? I might just go back to the computer and run all three off of it or just the one unless someone has a better suggestion? Also who are you using as you service provider?
I can't change the audio card in the thin clients and a iMic using USB doesn't make a difference in fixing the audio problem..

I need a way to do it so it is simple to setup and maintain or so I could have the wife fix it.
Also if anyone wants to do the Pinellas County Florida EMS and Police stream it would help reduce my streams. I don't want to shut them down as alot of people listen to them..Thanks guys.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I have a single dedicated computer to do nothing but stream audio. I am using USB sound cards for each of the scanners. I bought the cards from eBay for $1 each. I am using ScannerCast to stream the audio to RR. It is really pretty simple, but I'll admit things are not totally clear when you are starting out.

My computers are all connected to a router via hard wire. I have wireless, but keep it disabled. I have a DSL connection to the Internet. Not the fastest or best, but works for now.

Note: I do not like feeds that put one signal on the left channel and a different signal on the right channel of a stereo feed. There's a lot of reasons for this. The reason I hear that most people do it is so they can listen to their two streams on their iPhone/etc. To create such a feed you have to use a LINE input because the MIC inputs are usually mono.

NYRHKY94

Hi Keith:

I currently run 4 of my 6 feeds off of one Dell GX270 desktop tower. I had a bunch of old PC's laying around so I pulled 3 PCI sound cards out of those and put them in the Dell (lots of open PCI slots). I also use the onboard sound for the 4th feed. The machine has decent horsepower & RAM and this set-up has worked fine for me. I never had any issues with the different sound cards conlficting with each other either. For streaming I use a combination of ScannerCast & Proscan. I'm hard wired with a cable modem (Comcast).

This was a relatively cheap way for me to get multiple feeds up & running. But I am jealous of the guys who are using the M-Audio Delta 1010 sound card to run their multiple feeds. That is something I am considering switching to down the road (not cheap though).

Thanks - Mike

Last edited:

keithmj

Saint Petersburg, Pinellas County, Florida
I am doing three feeds. I might just go back to the AMD computer and run all three off of it.
Reading about the M-Audio Delta 1010 sound card you can have eight inputs plus two mics hooked up. But besides having the eight inputs in short terms what is the main advantage of having this? Those who are using this card is it easy to configure when setting up more than one scanner? I have three sound cards in the computer, each one a different brand, but I am not using it at this time as I am using the thin clients.
I just want to change to a easy simple setup, if there is one..

Status
Not open for further replies.