Recording Setups

Status
Not open for further replies.

UFOMAN

I'm getting some excellent material off the scanners and I would like any good ideas on a recording setup that will allow me to live monitor and record at the same time. I have a small digital recorder that can be voice actuated and I've thought of rigging that with a patch cord to the earphone outlet and, with a "Y" adapter, plugging phones or an external speaker in for the live monitor. It works, but I'm getting those weird digital fades and noises that tend to distort what I'm getting. Does anyone have a better setup that will yield clean audio? I'm open to any suggestions that will improve on this. Thanks in advance for any help.

darrylcn

I have mine recording from time to time, I got a female/female mini plug thing from The Source, stuck two 3.5mm cables together, and have the scanner sitting beside me while I'm running its audio to a PC in the corner across from me (and almost completely hidden) in the living room. I then have either my home theater reciever (sounds great for when I'm vacuuming and can still hear the scanner) OR a set of wireless headphones that are turned up sitting beside the scanner on the couch too. Allows me to record but still hear and control the scanner.

No fades or noises here, I had planned on grabbing a set of PC speakers to use instead of the wireless headphones but I wonder if the same thing might happen if I did.. Also I'm looking at a round Loop Isolator thanks to another member on this board, I get a buzzing noise when the scanner's plugged in (but not while on battery) if it's hooked to a PC. I solved this by plugging one of the cables only half way into the adapter thing.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
I've moved your question into the Audio Recording forum where you'll probably get more responses.

canav844

If you have a uniden buy the arc software and use the recording capabilities with your soundcard.
This is what I've got going right now, listening to the local traffic while it's logging the time/system/talkgroup information while recording the audio as I'm hunting out a local PD channel's P25 information. I've also got the folders setup to record based on the naming of the channel so I can track what I'm looking for by agency, ARC also offers the ability to sort them by date. This of course though, does have the drawback of requiring you to be tied to a computer, which may or may not be an issue for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.