Mobile Apps that provide Radioreference feeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebiz911

I have a question that maybe someone can answer for me. I am a feed provider for radioreference.com and enjoy providing a feed for people at home listening on their home computers. However, I do have a problem providing the feed to mobile apps. To me, this is what gives us a bad reputation with the public safety agencies that we monitor and provide a live feed for. At night, young adults and kids ride around town following the police while listening to their mobile app on their cell phones. Then you hear the police say on air they wish they could shut the feed down.

I would like to build my own mobile app and restrict who gets to download it to their phones or not provide a link at all to mobile applications. Is this possible?

AMDXP

Premium Subscriber
Of course then people will then steer clear of your app and use one with no blocks to it. That's the risk we take with providing our feeds in a ever increasing mobile world.

If you really feel like stopping the feed out of concern for public safety, that's your call and we can't fault you for that.

Personally, I would not be opposed of a built in 2 to 4 minute delay built into the feeds.

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
Not this topic again....

If the feed is scanning numerous frequencies/talkgroups, the end user has no control over what it stops on and what they hear. A criminal would be better off with a handheld scanner.

I'm not sure why this continues to be such a big deal. Unless the feed is dedicated to a single channel from a single department, I don't see how it's an issue.

ebiz911

Sorry

Scott

Excuse me....I am sorry..........I posted this thread on the live broadcast administration page and looked for similar topics before I posted this one. It was then "moved" to this page. I have never even seen this thread before it was moved and thought that I was posting in the right place. I am so sorry that you had to read and felt it necessary to take time to respond!. My deepest apologies.

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
No need to "apologize" or be sarcastic. It has been mentioned numerous times in other threads and the facts remain. I agree with you that it could be a problem on dedicated single channel feeds. Other than that? Pretty much a non-issue in my book. And....I work for a PD.

scannerfreak

Database Admin
Scott

Excuse me....I am sorry..........I posted this thread on the live broadcast administration page and looked for similar topics before I posted this one. It was then "moved" to this page. I have never even seen this thread before it was moved and thought that I was posting in the right place. I am so sorry that you had to read and felt it necessary to take time to respond!. My deepest apologies.

It was moved here because you asked:

I would like to build my own mobile app and restrict who gets to download it to their phones or not provide a link at all to mobile applications. Is this possible?

People should focus on answering this question and helping you achieve this and not debating the streaming issue. It's not your fault :)

Status
Not open for further replies.