ScannerCast: .NET Exception every morning at 3am. Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlesdotcc

Hi All,
I am running ScannerCast v0.14 (10307) (see attached screen shot), and on random mornings, always right around 3am, ScannerCast will stop with the attached .NET unhandled exception, "The sound capturing device is not ready. Is 'Primary Sound Capture Driver' plugged in?"

Has anybody seen this before? This is on a PC dedicated to ScannerCast, so it's a standard windows install and I just keep up with the updates, it doesn't have any other significant software on it.

I believe Windows checks for updates at 3am, but I've told it to just notify me, not automatically download or install updates, so it seems unlikely to me that that would do it. It also happens on random morning, no seeming pattern.

Thanks!

-Charles

Attachments

• scannercast-dotnet-exception-screenshot.PNG
    scannercast-dotnet-exception-screenshot.PNG
    27.3 KB · Views: 902

Medic37766

Same Error.

I am having the same issue. I have Windows XP Professional SP3 with .NET 1.1, 2.0 SP2, 3.0 SP2, 3.5 SP1, and 4 Client Profile Installed. The machine I am having the issue with has Microsoft Security Essentials installed with scannercast.exe as an exception as well as the Scannercast Folder ignored. I also have it set up to only notify me when an update is available. Scanner Cast is installed at C:\Scannercast. No Office installed. I always get the following error report about 3 AM every 3rd morning:

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.ApplicationException: The sound capturing device is not ready. Is 'Primary Sound Capture Driver' plugged in?
at Istrib.Sound.SoundCapture.CreateCaptureBuffer()
at Istrib.Sound.SoundCapture.Start()
at Istrib.Sound.Mp3SoundCapture.Start(Stream outputStream, Boolean ownsOutputStream)
at Istrib.Sound.Mp3SoundCapture.Start(Stream outputStream)
at ScannerCast.ScannerCast.StartAudio()
at ScannerCast.ScannerCast.RecycleAudio(Object state, EventArgs ea)
at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.OnTick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.TimerNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3620 (GDR.050727-3600)
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
ScannerCast
Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 0.14.10307.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Scanner%20Cast/ScannerCast.exe
System.Windows.Forms
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3053 (netfxsp.050727-3000)
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3614 (GDR.050727-3600)
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
Istrib.Sound
Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Scanner%20Cast/Istrib.Sound.DLL
Istrib.Sound.Mp3
Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Scanner%20Cast/Istrib.Sound.Mp3.DLL
Microsoft.DirectX.DirectSound
Assembly Version: 1.0.2902.0
Win32 Version: 5.04.00.2904
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Scanner%20Cast/Microsoft.DirectX.DirectSound.DLL
Microsoft.DirectX
Assembly Version: 1.0.2902.0
Win32 Version: 5.04.00.2904
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Scanner%20Cast/Microsoft.DirectX.DLL
System.Web.Services
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Web.Services/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Web.Services.dll
System.Xml
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3082 (QFE.050727-3000)
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
System.Configuration
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
h_jw2ze9
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3614 (GDR.050727-3600)
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
yeti.mmedia
Assembly Version: 1.0.3688.18337
Win32 Version: 1.0.3688.18337
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Scanner%20Cast/yeti.mmedia.DLL
yeti.mp3
Assembly Version: 1.0.3688.18337
Win32 Version: 1.0.3688.18337
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Scanner%20Cast/yeti.mp3.DLL

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

charlesdotcc

Yeah, I'd really love to hear if anybody has any ideas. Peter, K1PGV, you around?

@Medic37766 - I don't have MS Security Essentials or Office installed. I have my Scannercast executable in C:\Program Files\Scannercast

Medic37766

I am running Scannercast on my back-up computer right now with the same exact set-up except I am using AVG Free 2011 with scannercast set to be ignored with no problems as of yet. I have only been running it on the back-up machine for two days so time will tell. I plan on removing the entire .NET Framework from my primary computer and re-installing it to see if that might help but it usually takes a day or three to get any errors to pop up. If I come up with anything I will let you know.

Medic37766

Well I have completely re-installed Windows XP Professional, Re-Installed .NET Framework, and set the Automatic Updates to OFF with the same error popping up at 3 AM about every third day. Any clues? We seem to not be getting any answer from anyone? LOL

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
ScannerCast recycles the audio subsystem every morning at 3:00 AM.

Are you by chance using a USB Hub with your soundcard? If so, you might look at changing it out with a newer model.

Also, are you running multiple soundcards? Multiple feeds from the same computer?

Medic37766

No I am using a 1/8" mono to 1/8" mono connector plugged into my scanners ext. Speaker port and my laptop line in/mic port. I am using line in now but was using mic in with the same resulting error each time. No other sound cards or feeds on this laptop.

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
ScannerCast recycles the audio subsystem every morning at 3:00 AM.

Are you by chance using a USB Hub with your soundcard? If so, you might look at changing it out with a newer model.

Also, are you running multiple soundcards? Multiple feeds from the same computer?

FWIW - I run three feeds through my XP SP3 PC. I use ScannerCast V0.13 (1224) and do not have any problems.
- Two feeds through USB (one on an old hub, one straight to the USB port) and the third feed via the PCs soundcard.
- I use MSE and do not auto-update Windows. I run .NET 3.5 SP1 and 4 Client Profile.

Last edited:

charlesdotcc

The computer here is a Dell desktop (Dimension 170, I think, I'm remote'd in), and the soundcard shows up in the device manager as "SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio". It's the built-in card.

Lindsay, thanks for the lead that Scannercast recycles the audio at 3 am, that certainly helps narrow down the scope of the problem. Do you know why it does this? i.e. - Is it a nessecary function or an attempt at a fix for problems some users were having?

Last edited:

charlesdotcc

OK, sounds good. Do you know which forum support topic he frequents the most? I was hoping to catch him in this one with my original post, but I think I guessed wrong. :)

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Lindsay, thanks for the lead that Scannercast recycles the audio at 3 am, that certainly helps narrow down the scope of the problem. Do you know why it does this? i.e. - Is it a nessecary function or an attempt at a fix for problems some users were having?

The recycling audio routine was implemented to address a bug where the audio would "skip" or "pulse" after X amount of continuous hours of uptime.

For what it's worth, I helped Peter test that fix on two different feeds/computers, and to this day it works flawlessly.

charlesdotcc

Yeah, it certainly seems it works for most folks, but unfortunately not 100% for myself and Medic37766. Maybe there are options for a "softer" restart? Mine only craps out of occasionally, so maybe it's a timing thing. Maybe an option to increase the wait before restarting the system?

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
The recycling audio routine was implemented to address a bug where the audio would "skip" or "pulse" after X amount of continuous hours of uptime.

For what it's worth, I helped Peter test that fix on two different feeds/computers, and to this day it works flawlessly.

What version was that implemented on? I do have to stop and restart my feeds about once every two weeks for this very reason...

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I can't remember offhand exactly which version it was implemented on, but I believe it was already in place by 0.13. The current version 0.14 definitely has the recycling audio fix, I believe on both the full and RR versions. I only use the full version, so that's the only one I can speak with certainty on.

PeterGV

K1PGV
Thanks to Lindsay and my good friend Chauffeur6 for filling in for me while I was otherwise engaged. I certainly appreciate the help, guys.

ScannerCast resets its audio subsystem at 3AM every 3 days. It does this to avoid the problem that some people were having, in which the audio started "stuttering" after running a feed non-stop for several days or several weeks.

The way the reset works is the audio subsystem is stopped, there's a pause, and then the audio subsystem is restarted. We've discovered over the last year that setting the length of that pause so that it works properly on every possible system is very, very, tricky. If you set it to long, you'll get a loud pop in your audio and (worse) you risk disconnecting your feed. If you set it too short, ah, hmmm, er... apparently you get "The sound capturing device is not ready." In addition, other people have seen a "Feed Not Writable" error.

Suffice it to say that the fix isn't simple.

@Medic37766: The problem you're having is definitely related to the audio being recycled.

To make a long story short, I've been working on an update to ScannerCast for quite a while. This needs to be part of that update. I was *hoping* the update would include support for tags from the newer GRE scanners, but GRE Management is moving at such a glacial pace getting me approval for access to the necessary specifications, I might as well decouple the update effort from supporting the new scanners.

@Medic37766: If I build you a special version of ScannerCast to test out with the audio recycling change, can you try it? I can make the recycle timer more frequent than once every 3 days (LOL... that reminds me. I remember when Chauffeur6/Chris was testing audio recycling for me initially... I gave him a version that recycled the audio like once every 15 seconds or something... I believe he said it was, ah, "a bit too frequent" to be useful --- but it was a very useful test just the same :).

Peter
K1PGV

charlesdotcc

Hey guys,
@PeterGV and @Chauffeur6 - Thanks for your replies and info and this! And while I'm at it, so I'm not *just* complaining, thanks for a very useful peice of software Peter. It's easy to use and makes running a feed all the more enjoyable. Thanks!

About the problem - understood. You mentioned a worry about letting the audio recycle for too long would be risking disconnecting from RR. Could we send silence? Or a soft tone for those few seconds?

What's the wait-period right now?

At any rate, I'd be willing to help test changes as well if you'd like. Just let me know.

Thanks again,
-Charles

Status
Not open for further replies.