RadioFeed request to mute the audio on certain channels?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
I received a few emails this week from a few people(Skud, webstar22, and Steve) for a RadioFeed request. The request is an option to set the audio at -96 dB(total quiet) of certain channels. This request is so the broadcaster can conform to the Radio Reference terms of service.

I was wondering what the broadcasting community thought about this request. I'm thinking, it may be controversial or abused if the broadcaster are listening to a TAC channel for a few hours and the listeners don't hear anything.

Arguments to do it.
1. Requested.
2. Fun to do.

Arguments not to do it.
1. The listeners will hear nothing while the broadcasting scanner is holding onto a channel.
2. Possible abuse.

Please reply with your comments. I would like to see arguments to do it or not to do it and why.

Last edited:

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
It's the broadcasters right...the alternative is them turning off the feed to stay in compliance, so makes sense to me.

K

kb0nly

Unfortunately you just have to delete those channels or talkgroups from your scanner that is providing the online feed, if you want to listen to them get another scanner. We have all dealt with this. And its why most of us that have online feeds also have a dedicated scanner for it.

webstar22

RenfrewCountyScanner.com
Feed Provider
Listeners will hear nothing if the feed is turned off completely because the broadcaster wants to listen in. Maybe push a tag out (Audio Muted) or something like that.

And for me it is a Proscan request not a RadioFeed. I love proscan.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Unfortunately you just have to delete those channels or talkgroups from your scanner that is providing the online feed, if you want to listen to them get another scanner. We have all dealt with this. And its why most of us that have online feeds also have a dedicated scanner for it.

Well not if he makes that modification, I think that's why he is asking. I use A Uniden for my feed which is perfect, since I can use the RecOut feature to only stream the TGs I want heard, while listening to whatever else. Other scanner would need his software modification.

webstar22

RenfrewCountyScanner.com
Feed Provider
Well not if he makes that modification, I think that's why he is asking. I use A Uniden for my feed which is perfect, since I can use the RecOut feature to only stream the TGs I want heard, while listening to whatever else. Other scanner would need his software modification.

I use Rec Out on my 996XLT to feed my stream and for recording and I record everything to a database. For me being able to record whats going on but not have it broadcast is a huge plus.

webstar22

RenfrewCountyScanner.com
Feed Provider

If you want to give me $500 for a stream only scanner I'll put it online.

K

kb0nly

I used to do that with my Uniden's also but the Rec Out has a nastly POP on it every transmission and it usually misses a second or two of each transmission when you use the record out. Both my 785 and 796 did that, so i modified it internally to make the record out jack the discriminator audio so i can feed but also have a local volume control and speaker for monitoring as well instead of using the external speaker jack to feed to eliminate the pop.

webstar22

RenfrewCountyScanner.com
Feed Provider
I used to do that with my Uniden's also but the Rec Out has a nastly POP on it every transmission and it usually misses a second or two of each transmission when you use the record out. Both my 785 and 796 did that, so i modified it internally to make the record out jack the discriminator audio so i can feed but also have a local volume control and speaker for monitoring as well instead of using the external speaker jack to feed to eliminate the pop.

They got rid of the pop on the 996XLT. i used to use Ext Speaker for my streams.

K

kb0nly

If you want to give me $500 for a stream only scanner I'll put it online.

LOL.. Well i don't have that kind of money either, but i managed to snag a couple used scanners online for personal/feed use. I have a BC785D for my SD feeds and a BC796D for my MN feeds. I don't have anything on them that isn't feed allowed so i just listen to my scanners through my Ipod touch running Action Scanner or my Squeezebox radio running ScannerBox. This way i don't have to be in the shack and can hear everything.

Around where i live there isn't any special TAC groups that are unencrypted or otherwise available to listen to that would violate the TOS for my feeds. So i can feed everything i scan.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
And for me it is a Proscan request not a RadioFeed. I love proscan.

Lately, I've been concentrating on RadioFeed. I still have a few more things that I may do to RadioFeed if there is a demand. Broadcast channel lockout, broadcast delay, and DSP audio spectrum scope and filtering(50/60 cycle and DTMF).
Once I'm done with RadioFeed, then I will put all the changes/improvements in ProScan.

So the buttom line is I would use the source client in RadioFeed in lieu of the ProScan source client(ScanCast) because of the millions of little changes done already

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.