Another Tone Detection Software Package

Status
Not open for further replies.

firedude664

Before I get started I have to applaud the work that aaknitt has done his software (the original) was the inspiration I took to start creating my idea of a tone detection software package.

Here is brief history of the software:

Tone2Txt v1 - A horrible blend of QBASIC (yes QBASIC), and Perl .- No interface, No Saved Media (Could Email)

Tone2Txt v2 - Blend of Python, Perl, and a Linux software package called Listener. - No interface (Could Email and Saved Relevant Sounds)

Tone2Txt v3 - Python - Mysql - Listener, PHP Web Interface, Email, Twitter, TXT, Saves Media for later playback.

I'm about 95% done with v3, the engine (recording and tone detection) is 100% done and is a huge improvement in speed over v1&v2 processing several minuets of audio now takes less than 5 seconds. I've attached some screenshots of the Web Interface (about 90% done), if you would like you can even log into the demo box here:

http://t2tsheb.dyndns.org
Username: demo
Password: password

Or take a look at the Twitter Feed that the program writes to:

Ryan Wessels (t2tsheb) on Twitter

I'd love to here some comments from the group about features they would like to see before releasing it.

Thanks!

Attachments

• login.jpg
    login.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 1,027
  • dash.jpg
    dash.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 1,158
  • calls.jpg
    calls.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 1,077
  • calls_playing.jpg
    calls_playing.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 1,094
  • twitter.JPG
    twitter.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 1,107
Last edited:

motomeso

Premium Subscriber
Looks great to me! Does it come with the web interface / summary / built in web player? Does it handle stacked pages and the 8 second long tone also?

webstar22

RenfrewCountyScanner.com
Feed Provider
Does it let you pick the sound card that it will capture from. I am using those mini USB audio cards, I got a few of them doing different things.

firedude664

ve4nsv - Just added a built-in web player to both the summary page and the calls page. Also it does handle stacked pages, right now it still shows them on separate lines but I'm working on adding the logic to show one file/transmission with multiple tones. Yes it does handle both the "step-tone" and the long 8-second tone.

webstar22 - The audio recording is done using a Linux program called listener, it records only when there is sound and the config file lets you specify any audio device on the system, in fact you could run multiple instances of Listener with different config files so potentially as many inputs as you want. I had considered writing my own recording piece but why re-invent the whole wheel.

In a house along a busy road in Mercer County, Far
Just a question...

So I am just using the Tone-Out feature on my 396xt. It works pretty good but not well enough for my liking. What I mean is this..... The 911 center dispatches all of the tones for all of the companies and or units then throws out the call. Now the scanner doesn't seem to have the ability to tell me all of the tones for all of the units and companies being toned-out. It just shows me the tone-out code for the last tones being put out over the air. I guess the software running the scanner isn't set up to do more than one tone-out at a time and this is the problem. Will this software be able to give me all of the info for all of the units / companies being toned-out or just the same info as the 396xt already tells me.

firedude664

Right now the web interface just lists each tone on a separate line when I get a chance this weekend or early next week I'll be working out the logic to keep multiple tones that occur in a single transmission associated with it and displayed that way.

So yes it will show all the units paged soon.

firedude664

Just spruced up the logic for the calls section at the bottom of the dashboard page where it shows the calls with the agencies contained in the transmission are listed on one line instead of one line per agency.

See the attached screenshot.

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 982

c0untyb0y

great work! I am interested in seeing this released to the public as well. I have a few ideas in mind for something like this.

webstar22

RenfrewCountyScanner.com
Feed Provider
Is this Linux based or Windows or both? Can you have listener on one computer and it reports back to another main server with the mysql etc.. running on it?

firedude664

Right now it's written for Linux, and the Listener software only runs on Linux, it would be trivial to write a Windows version something I plan on doing as soon as I get the features finalized.

I'm still working on the final architecture of the program, so the idea that you could have "agents" in multiple areas reporting back to a single processing server is one that I'll likely pursue.

firedude664

Sorry for the lack of updates on this, to give everyone a bit of background on this that isn't provided in my original post my wife and I started a company last: Mutual Aid Labs, our main goal is to provide first class technology at reasonable prices to the Emergency Services Community. While we will of course take business wherever we can get it our main goal is to mix our experience in Emergency Services and Technology.

Our goal with this product (now called Alert2TXT) is to market this as a SaaS (Software as a Service), it has always struck me that most of the software out there that has similar functions is often complex and finicky right now the only thing we will require is the installation of a small agent. Audio is relayed back to us and we process, notify and store the audio for you.

Our initial pricing we hope will strike any one a reasonable when compared to similar services to give you an idea our lowest price point is:

10 users - $20 per month

and our highest:

500 users - $101 per month (higher than 500 would be quoted).

With this pricing we envision the following limits on the service:
-None (unlimited bandwidth, unlimited storage, unlimited tones etc).

You can read more about the product and it's features here: Mutual Aid Labs

We are still in the beta testing stage of this and we currently host the following instances for testing:

-ECOM - Southern Cook County IL
-Sheboygan County - WI
-Boone County - IN
-Washington County - WI

I am currently looking for at the most 5 more test instances, if there are any members willing to test our agent etc please PM me. We are offering some incentives for the testers.

Also if people have things they would want to see in this product we welcome the suggestions as good software should start with sound technology and user input.

Thanks!

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.973 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

What if you want to monitor multiple tone sets? In my case, I would want to be alerted for our agency tones and the county-wide alert tones. (Which would be for severe weather, etc...)

A former agency of mine had multiple tones: all-call, officers only and fire police only.

I'm sure others have similar, as well.

Last edited:

firedude664

With this system you can input all your tones and only be alerted on some, for example we have over 30 tones in Sheboygan County (my home county) the system decodes & saves all of them but my alert settings are only for my FD, County All Call, and a few others.
Does that answer your question?

Status
Not open for further replies.