Personal audio archives, does anyone else save incidents?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasonk

Feed Provider
Audio recordings

Indepmo - Thanks for the Flash Back to your old posting ...pretty funny stuff to read the Experts on the Board back in 2005. I haven't searched - but I assume they are all still here dishing out their Brilliant Legal Interpretations. Here is a link to some Online Incidents that I have managed to capture over the past year or two. I prefer to use Cool Edit Pro to chop and save. Posterous is a simple site to post the info to ...

Alertpage Public Feed - Sign Up for our Breaking News Alerts - http://alertpage.net

Take a look and let me know what ya think .....

Thanks

Jason Kinley
Alertpage Inc.

One13Truck

Feed Provider
A few trusty old Olympus recorders and Audacity works nicely. Used to use WavePad which was easier editing but it no longer works with the new OX. At times I'll hook up the line I ran from the scanner into the computer when I used to do the County's radio feed many years ago but don't break that out very often. I see one of the nicer feature of the newest GRE scanner allows for recording as well which if set up right can eliminate the need to use the recorders. Or allow them to record other things while the GRE records.

jtech48

Premium Subscriber
I usually tag the times while i scan on the pro-scan software and when the incident is over, i go back and pull he audio and save it onto a specific folder with the name and date of incident

webstar22

RenfrewCountyScanner.com
Feed Provider
I also use proscan, I have it set to activity only so I only get the comms I have a 18 month archive right now of comms. Each day I have a script that auto runs and zips up the comms for the day and puts it in a dated zip file.

indepmo

Thanks to all that replied.
I've been going this route and was thinking about changing it up a little bit.

I search all audio using Soundforge. I then clip out an incident, removing most of the radio silence with the exception of 1-2 second delays between transmissions. I also have a clip called "siren.wav" I insert over personal information such as license plates, (in certain situations) addresses, and names of parties. I then save the audio clip in a wav format, open Windows Movie Maker and insert the audio clip. I then use a template I have that let's me put credits in the beginning. Example:
Car Chase
09/14/2011
Then I have my website logo inserted to be seen through the remainder of the clip.
After all is said and done, I publish on youtube. There is a feature within youtube that automatically posts to my wall once I upload a video.
It's a lot of work, I was just wondering what everyone else was doing.
I was doing the publishing on my personal website for years, but finally figured out that the best way to locate my audience was on facebook and youtube.

I've been asked about removing personal information several times. I do all of this taking into consideration that (just like on COPS) all subjects are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. Even though it is broadcast publicly, I like to take into consideration that until someone is charged with a crime, I'd hate to be the guy publishing something prior to. In most cases, a person is detained until they are booked at headquarters THEN charged. Basically, if I publish a car chase or foot chase, you pretty much get to hear the officer chasing the suspect, and the subject is in custody. I leave personal info out. I think I do this out of respect for all parties involved, the innocent, the victims, the officers, and yes... Even the guilty. The media does a good enough job taking care of that part at the end.

Jason,
It's funny looking back at that post.
In regards to publishing audio on my website one guy stated:
"it would be illegal as anything"

Another stated:
"Even mentioning information heard on the scanner to another person is unlawful"

And this one guys post makes me snicker today most of all:
"Technically, It would be illegal to reveal what you hear on an online scanner to anyone.
Who sells recorded scanner audio?"

Who? Well, subscribing to radioreference.com to have access to audio archives pretty much sums that one up right there lol.

When people kept referencing the "Communications act of 1934" all I could think about is people intercepting telephone transmissions, but that was their arguement.
Do you know how many people broke that law assisted by telecommunications companies years ago when a party line would ring and three or four people would answer the phone at the same time?
You were instantly tapped into your neighbors telephone.

Anyway back on track here, if anyone else has methods they are using to capture and publish, I'd love to hear them.

rbm

ScanRec Pro and Audacity to find, edit and clip.

I agree.
Those two programs also work very well for me.

The audio files are around 10mb per hour on a normal day. Around 30mb per hour on a very busy day.

I've been logging six Uniden scanners 24x7 for years.

I have ScanRec Pro set up to record in one hour blocks.
- Vox recording so no dead air time is recorded.
- You can sort or manipulate the log file any way you please. That will allow you to listen to only one frequency, or two, or three, etc..
- The log files are time stamped.
- Text tags, frequency, signal strength etc can be included in the file. (you can select what you want to log)

ScanRec Pro creates a log file that is an index into the audio file.
You can then use ScanRec Pro Player for playback.
You can also edit/manipulate the log file to select what you want to playback.

Here is a sample log file.
The second file is one in which I extracted only one TAC frequency from the prior file. It will playback only that TAC frequency. (I renamed them from .log to .txt so they would upload here)

Last edited:

Fast1eddie

I am interested in recording HF traffic-I like to monitor Pirates and such, would be nice to make a file for later replay and station ID. Any thoughts???

Can't get into public safety monitoring-have at it. was a cop for seven years and had enough of the douchebaggery. I am certain my comms made for some interesting listening.

Good Signals!

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Scan Blog-Audio Angler

Just wondering if anyone else saves incidents-clips of car chases, robberies, fires etc?
If so, what software are you using to clip out what you are wanting to save?

Glad to see this section of the site up. I'll never forget this topic in 2004. Glad to see all of the streaming here!
http://forums.radioreference.com/system-wide-administration/15294-scanner-recordings.html#post114596

I have been saving recordings of various atypical radio transmissions for years, specifically that of surveillance operations. I have analog recordings of DEA, Customs and DPS dating back to the late 1980's and early 1990's. I recently purchased a device that will convert these analog recordings to digital.

More recently, I have been using a fine piece of audio equipment, the Olympus VN-6200 PC digital recorder.
Amazon.com: Olympus Digital Voice Recorder (VN 6200PC): Electronics

I struggled with where to showcase these many recordings I was capturing on the scanner. So, I decided to start a blog on Google. I only post undercover surveillance operations; however, I wait until the crooks are captured before posting these.

When I post these on You Tube, I don't make them public. Perhaps, I am being a bit overcautious if not paranoid, but I never want to tip off crooks or give them the edge over law enforcement should they learn something from these recordings. Knowing psychopaths like I do, I don't think this will be a big problem since many are nominees for the Darwin Awards.

This has proven to be a very worthwhile project that I love.

In essence, I am an audio angler. Sometimes, the fish are not biting. Sometimes, it takes patience to catch the really big ones. But, here I sit, waiting on the cork to move.

mk262

Premium Subscriber
I run a second instance of radiofeed at a higher bitrate (48k), which pulls the metadata from my first instance of radiofeed's title bar (that instance sends to RR at 16k). The second instance also is serving up those archives from a http server. http://www.mk318.net

I have streamripper set to record from the second instance so my recordings are higher quality. It works great and is super handy for finding and sorting new talkgroups. It also names the files by the talkgroup description. I've never seen a more efficient setup that is so easy to use after the fact.

Last edited:

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Independence, Missouri City Ordinance

Just wondering if anyone else saves incidents-clips of car chases, robberies, fires etc?
If so, what software are you using to clip out what you are wanting to save?

Glad to see this section of the site up. I'll never forget this topic in 2004. Glad to see all of the streaming here!
http://forums.radioreference.com/system-wide-administration/15294-scanner-recordings.html#post114596

If I am not mistaken, Independence has an ordinance prohibiting scanners on person and inside a vehicle. Is this true? I thought I read where somebody was hassled about carrying a scanner on the street. Please, correct me if I am wrong.

In Texas, I store my audio recordings in movie format. I happen to use Windows Movie Maker 2.6 to transfer digital recorders to this format. I know there are more advanced ways of doing this, but this works for me. I can go directly from my digital recorder into the computer. Once these files are saved, I upload them into the aforementioned movie maker coupled with interesting pictures.

Since Windows Movie Maker 2.6 has an audio line, you can load various images to accompany the audio. For example, if a house is surrounded, you might want to place a Google earth picture of the crime scene. This has worked well for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.