Remote scanner control app for smartphone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
Anyone know of a smartphone app that allows you to remote control a scanner and monitor audio as well? Basically similar to Proscan's Radio Over IP (and others) except for phone.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Too many people depend on phone apps to do things that are not always feasible in practice.
Those apps don't include magic. Maybe purchase a pro-106 and you'll be good to go! :wink:

n9zas

N0WEF

Premium Subscriber
Though not exactly what you asked, RemoteDroid can remotely control your computer. (So if you were using, like, bctool/freescan virtual control it would work.) Though, you have to be on the same wifi network, and see your screen.

So basically my idea doesn't work very well (It sounded better in my head b4 typing it lmao)

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
I think it's entirely feasible. If you can start your vehicle, arm your alarm system, and operate an audio board mixer from a phone, surely someone can write something that allows you to control a scanner connected to a computer. There are situations where I can't carry a scanner on me 24/7 and it would be nice to have that capability instead of being stuck to whatever the scanner was doing when I left it.

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
Though not exactly what you asked, RemoteDroid can remotely control your computer. (So if you were using, like, bctool/freescan virtual control it would work.) Though, you have to be on the same wifi network, and see your screen.

So basically my idea doesn't work very well (It sounded better in my head b4 typing it lmao)

I've tried that, it works okay but I would prefer something with an interface designed for that purpose. I asked Proscan if they could look into it and was told that they weren't going to "reinvent the wheel." But I never got a name of the software that does this. It's a shame because I would pay over $100 to have their remote Radio Over IP function on my phone. I had a couple clients of mine ask as well.

Thanks by the way for the suggestion.

N0WEF

Premium Subscriber
If you have a laptop with you, you remotely connect.

But yes, I agree it would be, maybe not easy, but not difficult. Do you have Google's App Inventor? I don't see it creating a reasonable cash flow, but would be a good "additional tool" for an already paid tool.

Last edited:

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
If you have a laptop with you, you remotely connect.

But yes, I agree it would be, maybe not easy, but not difficult. Do you have Google's App Inventor? I don't see it creating a reasonable cash flow, but would be a good "additional tool" for a already paid tool.

Yup that's why I use Proscan, but sometimes I can't have my laptop with me as well. It would be better if someone who already provides scanner software designed it and made it available to everyone else as well, as a private request for this app will probably cost me a fortune.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Scanner over IP on Android

I've tried that, it works okay but I would prefer something with an interface designed for that purpose. I asked Proscan if they could look into it and was told that they weren't going to "reinvent the wheel." But I never got a name of the software that does this. It's a shame because I would pay over $100 to have their remote Radio Over IP function on my phone. I had a couple clients of mine ask as well.

Thanks by the way for the suggestion.

Don't feel bad,:( BOB told me the same exact thing....

n8zrp

Win500 has a server (built into the main application) and a separate client that can remotely control the GRE PSR500-600 & RS PRO-106/PRO-197 models. I've used the Win32 client (works well) and there is also a PocketPC/Windows Mobile phone client (have not tried).

And I would also pay $100 for the same functionality on my phone model (There's an app for that). Any one else?

wmlovell

Premium Subscriber
Funny, I came into this thread desiring the same capabilities. Maybe there is more of a demand for this app then is imagined.

mancow

Database Admin
Teamviewer is great but doesn't have audio support for android. I am thinking of maybe trying to use skype but I'm not sure if it would work simultaneously. Any ideas?

dugan

The north shore of Lake Erie. The Great Lake that
It's funny how some people shoot down a good idea without much thought. If the right person was motivated to write it they could write client for Win500 or something. I wrote a app once for the Palm platform that would read a barcode and compare it over wifi to a Microsoft Access database and that was some years ago. It is quite commonplace now, but when I wrote it it was a feather in my cap. More than one person said I was wasting my time, but countless others were doing similar things at the same time I was. I just wish I had the chops to do it now.

Maybe if we find someone with the skill, we could get together and fund the project. I can't imagine it would cost all that much.

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
Teamviewer is great but doesn't have audio support for android. I am thinking of maybe trying to use skype but I'm not sure if it would work simultaneously. Any ideas?

I can confirm use of Teamviewer with Skype on an iPod Touch. The audio is probably delayed by about a second or so. Operation, depending on what program you're controlling, is pretty clunky in a lot of cases, but it works in a pinch.

brandon

Database Admin
Until there is a dedicated ProScan type app for smartphones, I would recommend trying Spashtop Remote Desktop. Works great to control/listen to ProScan (just tested in while typing this reply) along with Win500 and other programs on your desktop. It supports audio streaming with no delays. On the iPad it works fantastic since the entire screen fits with good readability. Using HDSDR to control my SDR (running in fullscreen mode) makes it feel like I'm using a native SDR application on the tablet.

Status
Not open for further replies.