Recording audio

Status
Not open for further replies.

W1IAR

Feed Provider
Does anyone know if there's a player available that has voice-activated recording ability? That is, record only when there's actual audio to record, thus eliminating long, silent gaps between transmissions. I tried one yesterday, called Advanced Audio, which, according to the description, should have worked, but it didn't.
THANKS!

OCO

Audacity has a very good option in the Transport dropdown on the toolbar.. Audacity also has options for trimming recordings, output in various formats, including .mp3 and is supported in versions for Windows, Mac and Linux..

vinzep491

Audacity has a very good option in the Transport dropdown on the toolbar.. Audacity also has options for trimming recordings, output in various formats, including .mp3 and is supported in versions for Windows, Mac and Linux..

Where is this option is Audacity... I have used this program in the past but never saw this option.

I gave a few programs a try but none that I really liked. If I could figure out Audacity, something I'm fairly familiar with, it would make things alot easier.

webstar22

RenfrewCountyScanner.com
Feed Provider
Proscan along with being programming software has it built into go by VOX or when the scanner stops on Activity.

n1ti

Feed Provider
Automatic gap removal in existing file

Does anyone know of a way of automatically remove gaps in a recorded file (such as in RR's archives)?

OCO

As mentioned previously, Audacity can do it all (and it's free and supported well).
To trim silence, highlight the recorded track, select "Effects" on the Toolbar and select "Truncate Silence".

To use it in the VOX mode, select "Transport" from the toolbar and then check " Sound Activated Recording" . Note you'll have to select whatever PC input you are using also..

n1ti

Feed Provider
Gap removal

I understand Audacity's trim capability....just wondering if there was a converter that would do this in batch mode. I know that the broadcast community has something to compress talk radio by setting a minimum gap size....but I can't remember what it was.

Thanks,

tim

W1IAR

Feed Provider
I use a program called Xcorder, below is the link to download it.

Downloads
A belated thanks for your suggestion; works well, does exactly what I want it to do. But when I play back an audio file, the volume keeps dropping until it's muted. Raise it up and it slowly drops again. I can play around with the mixer and finally get it to stay. Happens on 2 PC's, both running Windows 7. Does this happen for you? Not a big deal, but it IS annoying. Thanks!

Danny101641

Feed Provider
I am looking for free software to record my scanner on my computer. Xcorder does exactly what i want but i cannot figure out how to get a "break" in between transmissions. Audacity will not open, it says that the application configuration is incorrect, even after I have reinstalled the program several times. Basically I want it to record 24/7 but only capture the audio when the scanner is receiving and give a 1-2 second "break" in between transmissions so there is very little silence. Also it would be nice if it created a new file every hour or two. Anybody have any suggestions?

Last edited:

W1IAR

Feed Provider
Xcorder

Hi. If I understand your question correctly, you can set the gap between transmissions by adjusting the delay, which is located to the left of the "Stamp Log" icon. Using the up and down arrows, set it for 1 to 10, 10 giving the longest delay. To he left of that is a slider that controls the audio level needed to trigger recording. I find that an audio level of 2 and a delay of 6 works well for me, but adjust to your preferences. Also, if you click on "SETTINGS" at the top of the window, one of the options is to create a new file every hour. Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.