How to: Multiple Feed Broadcast

Status
Not open for further replies.

wirelesscop

Hey Everyone,

I currently have a feed setup. The link to it: New Castle County Police and Fire Live Scanner Audio Feed

I have a R/S Pro-106 feeding via the headphone jack into an older CPU's mic input. I am using the Scanner Cast software from Radio Reference.

From what I can hear, the audio sounds great.

My question is this... I would like to add a second feed via an old Uniden 855 XLT scanner. Would it be possible to broadcast from the 855 XLT through the SAME COMPUTER / CPU that I am currently broadcasting the other feed through? Or do I need to hook the 855 XLT to ANOTHER computer to broadcast?

I have seen some feeds broadcasting seperate audio... one from the RIGHT CHANNEL and andother from the LEFT CHANNEL.

What are my options?

BEST CAST scenario, I would like to have both scanners broadcasting SEPERATE feeds and really don't want to broadcast one feed from the right and one from the left, but if that's my only option utilizing ONE computer, I guess that'll have to do as I really don't want to have 2 computers going at once.

Any ideas?

Thanks for any and all help in advance.

Res21cue

Feed Provider
I would also like help with this. I have the exact same scenario... another scanner I want to use but only 1 computer.

rickboal

Multiple Scanners

Depending on the model of your computer, and available resources, you can add an additional sound card to your system and connect the second scanner to that card. I have not used the Radio Reference software to see if you it allows multiple sessions to be ran at the same time, but I am guessing it does. To test you could start one session, and then holding down the shift key, select the RR software a 2nd time.

Thanks
Big Daddy

medictod

Feed Provider
Multiple feeds / One computer

It may seem daring at first, but its easy, and has been discussed in detail here before.
I have only seen 5 instances of Scannercast on one computer at a time, but I'm sure others have run more.
Add a soundcard, run another instance of ScannerCast, and Set it up similar to the first.

Cheap, USB plug and play sound cards are aplenty on fleabay.

rickboal

multiple feds

Thanks Medictod,

I presumed that the software could be ran in more than one session, and your vast knowledge has confirmed it. I also echo that it is not difficult to configure the multiple sound cards as well.

I really like the right left channel configuration when I am mobile. The challenge is deciphering locations when I run multiple stations or departments at the same time.

Good luck
Rick -Bigdaddy - Boaldin

ka3nxn

Premium Subscriber
I have 2 feeds running on an old dell pc at home. I just added a 2nd sound card and programmed the scanner software for each feed to address a certain sound card. It works great. For my second sound card I got a $6.00 USB sound card.

talkpair

Is this what I need right here? USB 2.0 3D Virtual 7.1 Ch Audio Sound Card External | eBay
It seems so cheap and simple that I may need something more complex then that.
Looking for input!

I testing a few USB cards on my Linux box, and found that the ones advertised as 7.1 channel were compatible, where I couldn't get the others to work on Linux.

Out of the 5 purchased, a couple of them had a background squeal before applying audio. That was unacceptable to me, so I junked those. The other 3 worked great.

Also keep in mind, that these USB cards expect a microphone input and don't have a line input jack, so you may need to build an external circuit to cool off the audio going into the sound card.

You'll need 3 conductor plugs for these jacks. After days of pulling my hair out, I finally figured out that the jacks on these cards are wired in way that shorts the audio going in if a 2 conductor plug is used.

Another problem I encountered was the numbering assignments by the operating system wasn't consistent after a reboot. What may have been "card 2" before reboot, might be "card 1" after rebooting.
My simple solution to this problem was to just pull all the sound cards before rebooting, then re-insert one at a time in the order I want them, after the system boots back up.

In addition, the USB cards themselves may crowd each other when plugged in side-by-side. This crowding causes the buttons on one or more of the cards to be depressed by the adjacent card. If you have to buy a USB hub, consider the extra elbow room needed by the cards when making your selection. You may need to purchase a short length USB extension dongle to solve this problem.

I realize that you may be running another operating system, so the problems I encountered may or may not even apply to you.

Good Luck.

K4KNJ

Feed Provider
I Currently Broadcast 2 very successful Feeds using Scanner cast...I have one feed plugged in the Line In port and one plugged into the Mic port of the Sound Card....Both run with no issues and no audio spikes are occurring....All I did was basically plug n play type deal with just the one exception of lowering the Mic input audio on the PC to 5% and not 100%...Of course both radio and sound card audio should be adjusted...I listened to my feeds while making the proper adjustments...and to make sure the audio people are hearing is readable is not distorted....Although you could just do like everyone suggested and go add another Sound Card....but my way works perfect on Windows Vista...and didn't cost a penny to start a 2nd feed

Hope this helps

Res21cue

Feed Provider
Interesting about using the line in port, I will have to give this a try first! Hopefully it will work with XP

Thanks!

Res21cue

Feed Provider
So I cannot seem to figure this out. I have my separate feed set up, and plugged into the Line In port on the computer. I was able to run both instances of ScannerCast at the same time, but everything from my 1st feed plugged into the Mic Port, is coming across my second feed which is plugged into the Line in Port. On Scanner cast I only have 2 options for Audio.... "Primary Sound Capture Driver" and "Realtrek HD Audio" which is the sound card. I used one of each and tried using both the same with no luck, the feeds are brodcasting over eachother

Ideas?

K4KNJ

Feed Provider
Res21cue email me your phone number too K4KNJ@yahoo.com and I will call you ASAP and walk you though it step by step of how to get them both to work right...It is just too much to type here...both of my feeds run 100% with no issues so email me a contact number and I will get you up and running

Res21cue

Feed Provider
I have been unable to get this to work after days of trying. I cannot get the "line in" to show up as an option for either ScannerCast or RadioFeed. I know the line in works because when I have the scanner plugged into it, it still works and comes across my feed eventhough I didnt change the Audio settings in the program. It is as if the Line in and Mic port as crossed because the audio from both are coming across each others feeds.

I have an Acer Aspire 9400

Any ideas?

Res21cue

Feed Provider
I finally have this working using the USB sound card above however the audio coming from the feed using this sound card is TERRIBLE... I started getting feed problem reports almost instantly. There doesnt seem to be any settings I can change anywhere for it other then the volume up/down buttons right on the usb stick its self, but they dont seem to do anything.

ideas?

coling223

Anyone have any pointers for getting that second version of ScannerCast to start? I think I'm missing something...

Status
Not open for further replies.