Help with Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamrobt

I've been trying to find a way to listen to the local police scanner with Ubuntu. I think I'm running 11.10 and I"m in Topeka KS.
When I was running Win7 I was able to use iTunes to listen to a file I found somewhere on the internet. Any help would be great.

talkpair

I use a program called "audacious".
It has a look and feel similar to WinAmp used on Windows.

If it's not included in your Ubuntu distro, you can easily download it by following the menu sequence:

System
.....Administration
..........Synaptic Package Manager

Hit the search button, and enter audacious in the dialog box. Once the search results are displayed, select audacious and then hit the Apply button.

After installation is complete, find a stream of interest on RadioReference and select WinAmp as your player.
If that fails to launch audacious, then you should try selecting Windows Media Player from the Player Selection drop down menu.

adamrobt

Thanks for the reply. I'm running a studio distro of ubuntu that included Audacious. I have it set as the default program for playing music. My system became unstable after upgrading 11.04 to 11.10 so its a mess right now. I"m going to do a clean install of 12.04 the next time my machine gets rebooted. Who knows when that will be.
I think the biggest problem I was having here was the feed being offline. I wish I could find the file I saved in itunes on my win7 machine. Who knows maybe it came from here and hasn't been online since I switched platforms. Too many unknowns to figure out.
Thanks again for the input!

Status
Not open for further replies.