how do I / what is the procedure for adding a new frequency / radio broadcast?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nycdave

I use the scanner radio app for android and I came across this site from the feeds that the app references. I am also a fireman in Tarrytown NY and I want to add our local fire frequency so that I can hear calls using my phone. I submitted the info but it was rejected. How would I go about submitting the frequency so that I can hear the broadscasts through radioreference if this is even at all possbile?

thank you in advance

canav844

Well it does not look like Tarrytown has a feed already based on this list:
Westchester County, New York (NY) Live Police, Fire, and EMS Scanners on RadioReference.com
So for those of us elsewhere in the country that couldn't provide it if we wanted to thank you, it's fun to pull up feeds from around the country from time to time.
It would appear Tarrytown already has frequency information, were your contributions to the frequency database rejected?
Westchester County, New York (NY) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference
Here is a link that explains what is involved in the process of getting a feed going:
Becoming a Feed Provider - The RadioReference Wiki
It won't be an "offical feed" unless it goes through the process listed here: Official Feeds - The RadioReference Wiki
Also read the terms of service carefully to make sure that everything in your feed is allowed to be broadcasted on RR.
A dedicated computer sound card and reliable power and internet connection and ScannerCast software are all that's needed to get a feed up and running.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I use the scanner radio app for android and I came across this site from the feeds that the app references. I am also a fireman in Tarrytown NY and I want to add our local fire frequency so that I can hear calls using my phone. I submitted the info but it was rejected. How would I go about submitting the frequency so that I can hear the broadscasts through radioreference if this is even at all possbile?

thank you in advance

You submitted Tarrytown FD's frequency to the database, where it already exists. That is why I rejected it.

There is nowhere to "submit" frequencies so they can be broadcast. Every single live audio feed on this website is hosted by a volunteer using their own equipment and Internet connection. This site merely acts as the gathering place for all of these volunteer feed providers to host their audio so the world can listen.

Becoming a Feed Provider - The RadioReference Wiki

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
I submitted the info but it was rejected. How would I go about submitting the frequency so that I can hear the broadscasts through radioreference if this is even at all possbile?

Dave, Radioreference only hosts the feeds that others provide.

You will need to find someone with a scanner, computer and Internet connection to provide the feed to Radioreference.

You might consider doing it yourself if you're in an area that currently doesn't have someone providing a feed.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
Just to add a little more to this.

Make sure you have a dedicated scanner, and it really really helps to have a dedicated computer. One that your not constantly using. This will help prevent unwanted accidental audio as well as insure the feed is always up and running.

Also the computer can be a really old slower machine as the software is not a power hog. It is well written and can be left unatended for a long period of time.

I have several feeds my self and at my old job i had the computer up on a rack in a ware house, once i started the computer and had the feed configured i left it for months with out checking it.
Only time i did was if we had power issues, internet issues or someone had an issue with the feed. Which was rare.

Status
Not open for further replies.