Dell FX160 Thin Client

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Does anyone have any experience with these boxes? They look like they would be nice little machines for running audio feeds.

OptiPlex FX160 Desktop Details | Dell

There is one for sale on Kijiji local to me.. I might see if I can't grab it at a decent price and see what I can do with it.

joetnymedic

Feed Provider
i actually have an optiplex 620 its nice and small and works very well with my feeds. just bought a couple is usb sound cards and going to try to ad these for a couple more feeds

KD0TAZ

Feed Provider
Thin clients aren't regular stand-alone computers. The FX160 is nothing like the 620. They don't have hard drives, only a small (1-2GB) flash memory area to run a simple embedded OS. They're mainly designed to run a Remote Desktop from a server or some other 'server-centric' function like a POS system. Sometimes they are set up to boot directly from the server (ignoring any local OS). However I'm sure you can find a Linux distro that'll fit into the flash area or use a "Live USB" OS.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
I picked up the FX160 yesterday and it's a great little machine. It's running WinXP Embedded and has no issues running multiple feeds of ScannerCast from USB audio dongles.

grem467

I use an HP 5720 thin client for all kinds of stuff. It has been everything from my DSD/Unitrunker machine to its current use of APRS digi/igate. Picked it up for $50.00 on ebay. I keep an 8GB USB thumbdrive for storage and remote desktop into it. Love the thing!

Status
Not open for further replies.