Zello PTT App

Status
Not open for further replies.

fdscan

Mods - Move this if it's not in the right section, it somewhat fits here but I'm not sure where else it would fit.

I found this app last night called Zello. VERRRRYYYY cool app (for iPhone, Android, as well as PC, and if you get the @work package which is free for the first 5 users, you can get it on some Motorola enterprise devices). It's sort of like a radio simulator, it's all based on PTT, you create a username and then you can create or join existing channels and communicate with others. There's channels all the way from ones named "hi" to ones for FDNY Incidents. You can use it for virtually anything a two-way could be used for (within reason, of course).

There's one RR stream that someone has managed to let stream on there - Allegany County MD. Fire & EMS Radio - I forgot his name, I'll try to find it after I make this post. Major props to him! I'm not sure if it's streaming the actual RR feed or straight off the scanner, either way it's cool and good quality too.

I thought I'd share it with you guys, see if anyone has it, etc. You guys might find that they use the Motorola talk permit tone pretty neat. When you receive a message it also plays the Nextel two-beep thing.

I made a channel for fire/EMS incidents in CT, check it out; CT_Incidents . Anyone can join, but I'll block if there are any issues. It's a place to share, converse about, and listen to fire/EMS incidents occurring throughout CT, with reports submitted by users on the channel. My goal is for it to also be good to use as a way for CT residents to communicate about any emergencies happening in the state, or during any storms or disasters and what not. If you're from CT, join! Zello setup is simple and easy. I'm sure you'll like it.

So, that's that... Anyone have anything they'd like to share?

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
I stream my feed on Zello as well. I actually found it by accident. When I loaded Zello to my PC and hit transmit, (the right button locks) and since I don't have a mic on my PC it picked up the line-in audio from my scanner, which I also send to RR using RadioFeed.

The stream channel is Columbus Police Citywide Dispatch ( It must be set up for One-Way Only )

The talk group channel is Columbus Police Live.

There are RadioReference channels too. The channels are like live chat rooms. Like using Nextel in a group.

Some of the Incident paging services use Zello to coordinate dispatching and receive TIPS.

I could see this as a great radio operations training tool.

Last edited:

fdscan

I stream my feed on Zello as well. I actually found it by accident. When I loaded Zello to my PC and hit transmit, (the right button locks) and since I don't have a mic on my PC it picked up the line-in audio from my scanner, which I also send to RR using RadioFeed.

The stream channel is Columbus Police Citywide Dispatch ( It must be set up for One-Way Only )

The talk group channel is Columbus Police Live.

There are RadioReference channels too. The channels are like live chat rooms. Like using Nextel in a group.

Some of the Incident paging services use Zello to coordinate dispatching and receive TIPS.

I could see this as a great radio operations training tool.

I contacted someone who broadcasts, and I eventually got it working as well, however I keep my feeds private for the most part. I tested it with a portable scanner, just to see if it works, and it did, but I think the headphone jack on the scanner's shot, so I'll have to use a different scanner. Still, it did work.

I agree - Just like Nextel. I think that some of the beeps are actually from Nextel.

Yeah one of those incident paging groups I saw seems to have a channel, I'm working on getting into it.

And I agree again - GREAT tool.

What channels have you found that are active incident type groups? Ive got the app just havent logged into for a while.

Haven't found too many. I really hope to get my CT Incidents channel active, but I've got to spread the word! I think a RadioReference members channel might be cool for us to shoot around stuff and what not.

fdscan

I have had like two people join that CT Incident channel, still looking for more. PM me with any questions, if you have any.

fdscan

In significant need of dispatchers!

We have a few in-state members, as well as a few out-of-state members. However, I am still in need of in-state dispatchers. We supposedly are getting a snowstorm Saturday into Sunday, if we get enough dispatchers by then, I hope to give out some assignments for each one, to make it more efficient.

scanfan22

need help with Zello

i am using Zello on my Mac with a PC emulator. I am following one channel that I don't need anymore and I need to change what I am following. I don't want to have to get a new email to just get a new channel. Can somebody assist me or is this something I should contact Zello support for?

scanfan22

i am not the admin of the channel. i was part of one that does not need me anymore. i want to monitor a different channel without needing a new email address or Zello account.

KC2JS

Feed Provider
I am using Zello with the Two-Tone Detect software (can be found on this forum) to transmit our dispatches over a Zello channel. It works pretty well. Basically you set the output audio on TTD to the input audio for Zello. There is a flag in TTD to output the audio while recording. So when our tones are received the audio goes out over Zello for the amount of time you are recording for.

SeanGrimes

Is there Instructions on how set up a channel on Zello and stream you're local Fire companies over it? We use to have one for Mineral County but it looks like it shut down. Looking for a list of software I would need to do it.

Last edited:

jpryor

Thanks for the tip on Zello. I am testing a simulcast of my Toledo Fire Dispatch feed on there as well.

Toledo Fire Dispatch Live Scanner Audio Feed

Zello channel is "Toledo Fire Dispatch"

Using the Zello app and VOX from the PC that streams the feed and also pushes alert pages via TwoToneDetect to twitter.

Not sure if I have perfected all the Zello settings yet. Also seems it may timeout or go idle at times even though I don't have that setting enabled. Not sure if others have seen the same from running a feed via VOX.

fdscan

I'm considering doing the same thing at some point. Nice job on your Twitter, just checked it out.

webstar22

RenfrewCountyScanner.com
Feed Provider
Does the PC application still freeze up after long term usage. When I used Zello last year that was an issue so I stopped using it.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
I tried to use Zello to stream low-band highway patrol dispatches to my laptop in my car due to the fact I didn't want to drive around with a 5 foot whip on it! My scanner had scratchy reception, which streaming doesn't like, so i bought a Motorola with a headphone jack and used it that way. As long as the radio is receiving clean audio, you will get much clearer voice reception than on any of the RR streams. If your receiver has even a little static, or low dispatch volume, then Zello may end up making it sound horrible.

The coolest thing about Zello is that you can keep the REC OUT cable attached to your PC, and when you leave the house you just click the PTT lock button on Zello and it will stream the channel to your cell phone........whatever your home scanner would be receiving, you'll hear on your phone. ;-)

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.