Smart Phone App for Private Feed

Status
Not open for further replies.

RickLeb

I have tried many Scanner apps from both the Apple and Google apps stores. From what I can tell, all the feeds available originate at Broadcastify. I have found no option to specify a server IP.

I want to be able to listen to my own scanner when away from home, but I don't want to make it a public feed, because it won't be on-line unless I am away from home.

Is there any Smart Phone app that will let me connect to my own server?. Is there a way to set up a private (i.e. password protected) feed at Broadcastify?

I suppose that just using the mobile web browser is another solution, but what software would be recommended for serving the feed.

Thanks
Rick

WAScanMan

I have tried many Scanner apps from both the Apple and Google apps stores. From what I can tell, all the feeds available originate at Broadcastify. I have found no option to specify a server IP.

I want to be able to listen to my own scanner when away from home, but I don't want to make it a public feed, because it won't be on-line unless I am away from home.

Is there any Smart Phone app that will let me connect to my own server?. Is there a way to set up a private (i.e. password protected) feed at Broadcastify?

I suppose that just using the mobile web browser is another solution, but what software would be recommended for serving the feed.

Thanks
Rick

I use Zello. It has a vox function, password protection, and the ability to play back streamed audio
http://forums.radioreference.com/streaming-broadcasting-audio-recording/259194-zello-ptt-app.html

phillydjdan

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.5; en-us; ZTE-N910 Build/GRJ90) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

I use a program called RadioFeed to stream mine, and use Winamp to listen. I just type in the url (my ip address and port) and presto, i can monitor my feeds without RR or BFY having any say in what I'm allowed to stream

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
I think what the OP is looking for is a solution to have a private password protected feed. Zello is perfect for this - just set it to VOX on the computer and you're golden.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
I think what the OP is looking for is a solution to have a private password protected feed. Zello is perfect for this - just set it to VOX on the computer and you're golden.

RadioFeed can be optioned to password protect feeds.

RickLeb

I use Zello. It has a vox function, password protection, and the ability to play back streamed audio

I use a program called RadioFeed to stream mine, and use Winamp to listen. I just type in the url (my ip address and port) and presto, i can monitor my feeds without RR or BFY having any say in what I'm allowed to stream

Thanks WAScanMan and phillydidan

I had my IPAD connecting to RadioFeed on my windows desktop in just a few minutes. I discovered that I don't have anything on my Android phone to play streaming M3U, but there are many apps on the Google store which claim to do so, so I will try some of those.

When I first read about Zello I was a little confused as to how it could be used for this purpose. Once I got it installed on the PC and Android phone, I was able to get it working, and I am very happy with it so far. I haven't tried to run it outside my LAN yet, but according to the web site I will need to open several ports on the router for Internet access. That may be of some concern to me.

I will be testing both solutions for clarity, stability, and battery life on the phone. Both programs are a solution to my needs. I really appreciate your replies.

Rick

RickLeb

RadioFeed can be optioned to password protect feeds.

Yes I just noticed that. It also supports TAGS which is an important feature to me. I also assume that I only need to setup port forwarding for the single "server" port.

Now I just have to find a nice Android app that supports M3U streams.

Thanks

RickLeb

I use 'xiialive' and 'A Online Radio' for my private feeds.

Thanks Rich, I tried 'xiialive" connected to RadioFeed, and I like the look and feel of it.

Although Zello satisfies all my original requirements, I like the idea of RadioFeed because it doesn't require any special software at the client end. Any PC and IOS device is ready to go, and a program like 'xiialive" works great on Android.

I would prefer to have something that would work with the RadioFeed passwords, but it doesn't look like any of the common streaming clients will support passwords. I will just set RadioFeed to a non standard port that isn't commonly scanned for, and then trust that there are no security weaknesses in the software for those that do discover it.

Thanks for all of your responses.
Rick

Tweekerbob

As an added layer of protection, albeit weak, you can choose the max # of connections in RadioFeed. Just set it to 1. This can backfire -- someone could beat you to it and be listening before you try to connect, thus it will reject your incoming connection request. In reality, if you don't advertise your stream at all, I highly doubt if this will ever happen.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
I use 'xiialive' and 'A Online Radio' for my private feeds.
They're not password protected if that's what you're looking for

xiialive supports meta data
Internet Live Radio App | XiiaLive

Here's one of my earlier posts about them.
http://forums.radioreference.com/st...recording/252433-android-app.html#post1848841

Rich

Most media players do not support authorization so RadioFeed solution for listening to a password protected feed, put in the password after the URL so any media player will work.

Last edited:

RickLeb

Most media players do not support authorization so RadioFeed solution for listening to a password protected feed, put in the password after the URL so any media player will work.

That information was the missing link. I read the instructions for adding the password in the RadioFeed Instructions, but I had trouble getting the URL properly formatted.

I discovered the easiest way to get the correctly formatted URL into the media player, was to open the web server with the browser, enter the correct password, wait for the media player to open, and then save the feed as a favorite.

I found that the 'xiialive" software would not accept the password, but it works great in 'A Online Radio' .

I'm a happy camper, and you guys have all been a great help.

Thanks
Rick

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
That information was the missing link. I read the instructions for adding the password in the RadioFeed Instructions, but I had trouble getting the URL properly formatted.

I found that the 'xiialive" software would not accept the password, but it works great in 'A Online Radio' .

Now that I thought about it, xiialive doesn't like the space between the URL and password. Use "%20" for the space as shown below. That's the URL encoded space.

Example:
"proscan.dyndns.org:5000/stream%20my_password"

This should work with all media players, of course change the URL to yours.

RickLeb

Now that I thought about it, xiialive doesn't like the space between the URL and password. Use "%20" for the space as shown below. That's the URL encoded space.

I gave it a try, and I just can't get it to accept the password. What makes it difficult is the fact that xiialive doesn't let you edit your channels, you have to re-enter the whole URL on each attempt.

I prefer the look of xiialive, but 'A Online Radio' works fine, and I probably won't be looking at the screen much. I will probably try a few others players , now that I know about the password secret.

Thanks again for the help.

Rick

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
I gave it a try, and I just can't get it to accept the password. What makes it difficult is the fact that xiialive doesn't let you edit your channels, you have to re-enter the whole URL on each attempt.

I prefer the look of xiialive, but 'A Online Radio' works fine, and I probably won't be looking at the screen much. I will probably try a few others players , now that I know about the password secret.

Thanks again for the help.

Rick
Another URL encoded space is the "+"
An example:
proscan.dyndns.org:5000/stream+password

It should work as it's a valid URL. Try without a password protected stream to see if xiialive can connect before trying to password protect it.

RickLeb

Another URL encoded space is the "+"

It should work as it's a valid URL. Try without a password protected stream to see if xiialive can connect before trying to password protect it.

I can connect with xiialive when the server does not have a password. After assigning a password, I retyped the URL the same way, and added the password in the various formats. Nothing seems to be recognized by xiialive.

I guess that not all media players are written to accept the password as part of the URL, and then perform the login process with the server. I just read something on the xiialive forum, that the author is trying to implement this function.

Thanks
Rick

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
I can connect with xiialive when the server does not have a password. After assigning a password, I retyped the URL the same way, and added the password in the various formats. Nothing seems to be recognized by xiialive.

I guess that not all media players are written to accept the password as part of the URL, and then perform the login process with the server. I just read something on the xiialive forum, that the author is trying to implement this function.

Thanks
Rick

Can you try to connect to my password protected stream using xiialive. I want to look at the HTTP headers to see what the URL looks like.

http://proscan.dyndns.org:5000/stream+12

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Can you try to connect to my password protected stream using xiialive. I want to look at the HTTP headers to see what the URL looks like.

My guess is xiialive is not handling the spaces in the URL correctly. If you can connect to my Web Server, I can see what xiialive is doing or not doing so we can report the exact problem to the developer via the xiialive forum.

From HTML URL Encoding Reference
URLs cannot contain spaces. URL encoding normally replaces a space with a + sign.

Last edited:

RickLeb

Well I found my problem. When connecting to the server with Internet Explorer, I hovered over the "Listen Live" link and saw that it linked to http://myserver/stream.m3u.

I was able to type that URL into Windows Media Player, and into xiialive when not using a password and it worked successfully. However after adding the password, this method did not work with xiialive.

I had noticed that you didn't show the .m3u extension in your examples, but I wrongfully assumed that the extension was part of the stream name. After your last message I tried again without the .m3u extension and I was able to connect with xiialive. I used the "+" before the password BTW.

I also noticed that IE passed "http://myserver/stream+mypass%20.m3u" onto Windows Media Player. So there seems to be a variety of ways of passing the URL and password.

So the information you had given me was correct, it's just that my mind was set to do it differently.

Thanks for sticking with me because I'm glad I could get xiialive to work.

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.