RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Computer Aided Monitoring and Programming > Streaming / Broadcasting / Audio Recording

Streaming / Broadcasting / Audio Recording - Interested in putting your scanner online for others to hear? Want to listen to other radios on the internet. This forum is here for you to discuss these topics related to streaming scanners online.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-31-2014, 1:34 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick223 View Post
Fastest agency I've ever heard. Sounds like the jimmy johns freaky fast delivery commercial. Lol

Check your audio levels?
Try turning your scanner volume up just a little
Sponsored links
Old 08-31-2014, 5:12 PM

Default Confused auto start

I have had TTD v62 running on my pi for 10 months or so, but every 7 days it crashes. I would like to set up auto start, and something to check that the program is running. I see things about "cron " etc, but because I'm a noob, I don't get it . I'm just looking for simple direction of what lines I need to type, and where to type them. I simply wish to have it so I don't have to ssh every week, and if the power goes out, it will restart. Thank you all.
Old 09-01-2014, 5:46 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffjs87 View Post
I have had TTD v62 running on my pi for 10 months or so, but every 7 days it crashes. I would like to set up auto start, and something to check that the program is running. I see things about "cron " etc, but because I'm a noob, I don't get it . I'm just looking for simple direction of what lines I need to type, and where to type them. I simply wish to have it so I don't have to ssh every week, and if the power goes out, it will restart. Thank you all.
FF,
I'd love to help out, but it has been nearly a year since I went through the steps that you are seeking. I doubt that I could remember where the code came from in some cases and would likely miss some if I tried to get it to you. So as a second best alternative here is a link to a copy of an SD card image that has all the stuff installed on it. Save a copy of your tones.cfg and config.cfg, then image a card with this image and replace those files on the new image.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9s...it?usp=sharing

> > 1. Username is pi Password is ttd-pi
> > 2. VNC password is ttd-pi Port 5901
> > 3. SSH is enabled.
> > 4. VNC is enabled. If you VNC into the pi you can do all the set up and run
> > the program from a GUI. On a Windows machine, use UltraVNC or
> > TightVNCviewer. On a Mac, Chicken of the VNC works extremely well.
> > 5. The pi is set up for auto reboot on power restoration after a failure.
> > No prompt for username or pwd.
> > 6. The pi checks to see that TTD is running every 2 minutes and if it does
> > not find it running automatically starts it. thus, when the pi boots up,
> > TTD will be started within about 2 minutes. If for some reason TTD stops,
> > it will restart within 2 minutes.
> > 7. The pi is set up to automatically reboot around 3 am. This helps to
> > keep things clean and working well. this takes TTD off line just about 2
> > minutes.
> > 8. One benefit from running a RadioReference feed off the pi is that you
> > can receive a text/email whenever your feed goes off line. this is a good
> > power failure indication.
> > 9. the pi automatically moves the files from the Audio folder into an
> > AudioBAK folder every Friday night around 9 pm. then the following Friday
> > night at 8 pm the AudioBAK folder is emptied. Takes care of housekeeping for
> > you.
> > 10. This image has v65c of TwoToneDetect and TonesEditor8a on it.
Old 09-01-2014, 6:45 AM

thank you DC31. much appreciated.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:36 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

[QUOTE=DC31;2244195]FF,
So as a second best alternative here is a link to a copy of an SD card image that has all the stuff installed on it. Save a copy of your tones.cfg and config.cfg, then image a card with this image and replace those files on the new image.

My image will NOT work on the new model B+ pi. it works on the model B.
Sponsored links
Old 09-05-2014, 8:21 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Any plans on supporting the B+?
Old 09-05-2014, 9:42 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by w8dev View Post
Any plans on supporting the B+?
At some point, hopefully. I just moved into a new house and started a new job so work on TTD is at the bottom of the priority list at the moment.

If someone can figure out how to set up ALSA to use a sound card input with a non-default sampling rate (I think this is possible), that would go a long way towards getting it going. TTD likes to use a 11,025 Hz sampling rate, most sound cards default to 44,1000 Hz or 48,000 Hz.

Andy

If you need help with TwoToneDetect please read this post first
Old 09-06-2014, 11:40 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc2kvy View Post
So my Pi rebooted as scheduled last Friday, and came up with a new "feature"... TTD now sends out audio that sounds like it's being played on fast forward. Here is a sample:

Garbled TTD from Pi on SoundCloud - Hear the world

Anyone have any ideas?
For the record, I fixed this by doing an apt-get dist-upgrade. Everything now works perfectly.
Old 09-11-2014, 8:52 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

DC31,

Using your image, TTD works great, but when attempting to start darkice, I get an error... pulse audio connection refused.

Any idea?

Thanks!
Old 09-11-2014, 11:34 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I figured out that darkice won't connect to pulse if run as root, but will if run as the regular user... So I disabled the daemon by issuing:

sudo update-rc.d darkice disable

Then I set darkice to run as a cron job by issuing crontab -e

and adding this lines:

@reboot [ -x /usr/bin/darkice ] && /usr/bin/darkice > /dev/null

Now both are running on boot. We will see if this works well, but for now it appears to be. Hope this helps folks out. And DC31, thank you for the system image, and the hard work setting it up. It is very nice!
Old 09-11-2014, 11:55 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshockme View Post
I figured out that darkice won't connect to pulse if run as root, but will if run as the regular user... So I disabled the daemon by issuing:

sudo update-rc.d darkice disable

Then I set darkice to run as a cron job by issuing crontab -e

and adding this lines:

@reboot [ -x /usr/bin/darkice ] && /usr/bin/darkice > /dev/null

Now both are running on boot. We will see if this works well, but for now it appears to be. Hope this helps folks out. And DC31, thank you for the system image, and the hard work setting it up. It is very nice!
Great to hear that you had success! I will add this to my info on the image.

Your next assignment: Get a raspberry pi icon on Andy's map of TTD users!
Old 09-11-2014, 4:19 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC31 View Post
Great to hear that you had success! I will add this to my info on the image.

Your next assignment: Get a raspberry pi icon on Andy's map of TTD users!
Done!
Old 09-14-2014, 1:25 PM

Default 404 Error when running apt-get install python.dev

Unable to locate this issue when searching forum, issue and answer below:

Ran into issue following Two Tone Detect TTD directions, after running the line:
"sudo apt-get install python-dev" The text in the terminal window kept getting 404 errors from all the download links. Issue turned out to be old links. The fix, while still in the python distribution directory run "sudo apt-get update"

After running "sudo python distribute_setup.py" run "sudo apt-get update" while in the python-distribute directory ex.
pi@raspberrypi ~/python-distribute $ sudo apt-get update

This will run a list of updates, which will then allow the "sudo apt-get install python-dev" to work correctly. Otherwise in subsequent steps you will have a failure when PIP looks for python.h
Old 09-21-2014, 9:12 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaknitt View Post
At some point, hopefully. I just moved into a new house and started a new job so work on TTD is at the bottom of the priority list at the moment.

If someone can figure out how to set up ALSA to use a sound card input with a non-default sampling rate (I think this is possible), that would go a long way towards getting it going. TTD likes to use a 11,025 Hz sampling rate, most sound cards default to 44,1000 Hz or 48,000 Hz.

Andy
Here's something I found about changing the default sampling rate.

sound - How to change audio bit depth and sampling rate? - Ask Ubuntu

Looks like you can modify /etc/pulse/daemon.conf

Adam
Old 10-30-2014, 7:34 PM

Any advice for using charter email account for sending notifications of pages?

I've fought with google for a month on and off now trying to send anything to my phone's SMS relay address. For giggles, I setup a charter email, and boom, had a text in 15 seconds.

Has anyone else used charter email? I assume with TTD, disabling SSL on smtp is not an option.
Old 10-31-2014, 10:15 PM

I thought I was on to something but alas, it was not to be. I've tried three different SMTP servers from three different email providers. US Cellular's SMS gateway will not deliever TTD's text only emails to my phone. I've found success with the mms gateway though.
Old 01-14-2015, 11:41 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Well I finally pulled the trigger, after a couple years running TTD on my windows machine I figured i'd give RPI a try. From what I can see I have gotten TTDpi up and running on the RPI B+ following the instructions, with a few edits of my own. and over the past night had a few calls detected correctly. Audio sounds great...I say better than my windows machine. But I am still baffled as to why its working so good.

First off, since I have it setup in cron to complete launcher.sh at startup. I cannot seem to get both pulseaudio nor jack server up and running without booting the system to xwindows and launching it from a terminal window. Looking through the cron look pulseaudio and jack both do not start since they are started as a per user. The end of my cron log show "Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
Cannot connect to server request channel jack server is not running or cannot be started" Yet TwoToneDetect seems to have started correctly

Secondly I cannot find pulse audio within ps axg, but I can find TwoToneDetect60aPi.pyc running. And for some reason it still detecting tones?

Any thoughts?

Here's a link to this mornings audio https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1I...ew?usp=sharing
Old 01-14-2015, 11:52 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

[QUOTE=Taylor_425;2320607]Well I finally pulled the trigger, after a couple years running TTD on my windows machine I figured i'd give RPI a try. From what I can see I have gotten TTDpi up and running on the RPI B+ following the instructions, with a few edits of my own. and over the past night had a few calls detected correctly. Audio sounds great...I say better than my windows machine. But I am still baffled as to why its working so good.

First off, since I have it setup in cron to complete launcher.sh at startup. I cannot seem to get both pulseaudio nor jack server up and running without booting the system to xwindows and launching it from a terminal window. Looking through the cron look pulseaudio and jack both do not start since they are started as a per user. The end of my cron log show "Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
Cannot connect to server request channel jack server is not running or cannot be started" Yet TwoToneDetect seems to have started correctly

Secondly I cannot find pulse audio within ps axg, but I can find TwoToneDetect60aPi.pyc running. And for some reason it still detecting tones?

Any thoughts?

There is probably a lot more technical explanation for it, but mine is that what you are seeing is all perfectly normal. When I see those messages, I know that TTD is running properly.

I have found mine to be nearly bulletproof, it has been running for at least 1-1/2 years without failure. Yes, there is the occasional missed dispatch but you can usually figure out why. Maybe one sample of the Btone was out of spec. Or the dispatcher made the announcement but forgot to push the button for the tone!
Old 01-14-2015, 11:53 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor_425 View Post
Well I finally pulled the trigger, after a couple years running TTD on my windows machine I figured i'd give RPI a try. From what I can see I have gotten TTDpi up and running on the RPI B+ following the instructions, with a few edits of my own. and over the past night had a few calls detected correctly. Audio sounds great...I say better than my windows machine. But I am still baffled as to why its working so good.

Any thoughts?

Here's a link to this mornings audio https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1I...ew?usp=sharing

Make sure also that you expand the file system to fill the card and set a cron job to do a daily reboot.
Old 01-14-2015, 1:19 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Thanks DC31,

Figured it was normal, since I was getting detections... Already expanded the file system and setup a reboot command...just going to work on implementing the Audio folder dump.

Another Question....I have a 7.1 Surround Sound card hooked into the rPi and this sound card has 2 inputs ( 1 Input and 1 Mic) I have TTD hooked into the Mic. Can I hook another audio source to Input and use another instance of TDD and also Darkice?