RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Computer Aided Monitoring and Programming > Streaming / Broadcasting / Audio Recording

Streaming / Broadcasting / Audio Recording - Interested in putting your scanner online for others to hear? Want to listen to other radios on the internet. This forum is here for you to discuss these topics related to streaming scanners online.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2013, 10:25 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Grrrr still can't get it to work, i was able to load a generic Raspberry OS on it and got it to boot, It looks like it unzips Jim's image, but it does it with that Error, i think that is my problem.
Sponsored links
Old 05-06-2013, 3:31 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by emt603 View Post
Grrrr still can't get it to work, i was able to load a generic Raspberry OS on it and got it to boot, It looks like it unzips Jim's image, but it does it with that Error, i think that is my problem.
Don't waste effort trying to use my image. Just follow Andy's instructions.
Old 05-07-2013, 5:49 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC31 View Post
See if you can grab it here:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...TD12Apr.img.gz

Username and password are the same as your Pi was shipped with. I have stripped out my email username and password from config.cfg and have stripped out my Tones.cfg info. It is also set for a static IP address to facilitate using SSH. Use ifconfig to determine the address. Send me a PM if you need any help.

I have found my pi to be very sensitive to power supply problems. I am finding it difficult to maintain something above 4.8 volts across TP1-TP2. Most stable appears thus far to be an Apple iPad charger that gets me 4.9 volts.
Good luck

Jim
Don't waste your time on my image. I tried it myself last night and found at least three errors. Follow Andy's instructions and make one from scratch. The python daemon i discussed previously was the cause of my pi crashes. So ignore that one also.
Old 05-09-2013, 8:20 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Default Problems

I don't really know what I have done, Andy but my pi locked up several times over the past couple days. I had upgraded to v60 just prior but I am not sure it is related to that. I went back to v59a and have problems there also. The pi itself seems to be nearly stalled at times. In SSH when I type in a command, sometimes it is 30 seconds or so before the letters appear. then just a little while ago there was a page decoded at 20:38 then another at 20:44. The 20:44 email went out at 20:44 then the 20:38 email went out at 20:45. Very strange. See the attached log file. This incident is toward the end of the file.

I suspect that I may have something screwed up on the SD card but troubleshooting is going to be tedious. I think that I may just flash another card, reinstall and see if that improves things.

Last week the pi was working quite well.

Jim
Attached Files
File Type: txt logA.txt (75.1 KB, 106 views)
Old 05-09-2013, 10:55 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Default Eager to help

I am not so patiently waiting for my Raspberry to arrive so I can join in here.
My room is being heated by the PC running TTD and summer is approaching. I am looking forward to using the Raspberry to lower the power consumption from the P4 beast I have to use now.
Seriously I want to contribute to this process and see the PI effort pay off for those interested in it!
DC31 and Andy, keep up the good work!
Sponsored links
Old 05-10-2013, 5:32 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidVT View Post
I am not so patiently waiting for my Raspberry to arrive so I can join in here.
My room is being heated by the PC running TTD and summer is approaching. I am looking forward to using the Raspberry to lower the power consumption from the P4 beast I have to use now.
Seriously I want to contribute to this process and see the PI effort pay off for those interested in it!
DC31 and Andy, keep up the good work!
Are you conversant in Linux? I hope so, because i can use all the help i can get! The pi didn't lock up last night. Before i went to bed, not only did i power cycle the pi but i also cycled the usb hub which has the sound card and the wireless adapter. That seemed to make the pi more responsive. I suspect problems with the wireless but changing back over to ethernet is a pain so that may have to wait until the weekend.

One document that helped considerably getting it all working was:
Getting Started with a Raspberry Pi | myDominion

Good luck
Old 05-10-2013, 6:01 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Newmark/element14 box found on the front steps this morning! Short shipped the USB hub but I have one that might work in the mean time. Hoping for rain this weekend so I can put off the yard work for this project
No guru on Linux but have been using it for years both for headless website servers, a dedicated webcam server and mutitudes of desktops.
Old 05-10-2013, 9:16 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Wired ethernet looks like the way to go. I changed over tonight and it seems much better. I thnk most of my problems may have been related to running the pi wirelessly.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:58 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Some Progress as I get started.
I have the raspberry emulated in qemu on my laptop and am getting my feet wet with the OS via ssh and tightvncserver to my iPad.
Tonight I will see how far I can get with the virtual PI and TTD install before moving to the real thing. I suspect the qemu install will only allow so much progress before running into the need for powering up the real hardware.
I want to be able to power up the real hardware without ever connecting a monitor/keyboard/ nor mouse directly to the PI. I hope my time with qemu will help me figure out the most effective way to do it and thus control it remotely.
Out of time for today.

Last edited by davidVT; 05-11-2013 at 12:03 PM..
Old 05-11-2013, 8:35 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Well I jumped ahead with the PI and associated parts. The qemu experiment showed me what to expect.

My monitor is fairly new, having both VGA and HDMI inputs. I am able to toggle between the PI and the PC as I follow Andy's instructional page. I have a USB keyboard with a built in mouse pad so I am able to run so far without a USB hub. The USB sound card takes up the second USB port.

At this point I have the PI (b) running with wired Ethernet in dhcp mode as my dhcp server will reserve that IP to that MAC for eternity once I tell it to.

Andy I suggest adding the apt-get update just prior to the very first mkdir. My SD came preloaded but was a bit out of date causing piles of errors until I remembered to do the update.

Thus far with the utilities I have set sound levels via the moving bar graph but am unable to hear the sound as I can on the PC. I am not sure at this point if this is by design or my neubie configuration.

I LOVE HOW QUIET THE PI IS while sitting next to the P4 that sounds like a Dyson Vacuum...

I believe I have properly created the two config files. Now to create a Y audio cable to allow the scanner to feed both computers so I can watch the detection from both. In the mean time I will search my recordings for a test tone that I can use to test audio recording quality and email distribution.

Last edited by davidVT; 05-11-2013 at 10:03 PM..
Old 05-13-2013, 6:02 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Default Playback_during_record

Andy,

Most of my experimentation with ths feature has been trial and error (mostly the latter). I think i now have the settings correct. When a tone set is detected, the audio comes out of the speakers! Otherwise, they are quiet. So i am watching the program run as i am eating breakfast. The playback stops at the point where "waiting for silence" appears on the screen, even though the dspatch audio continues well past that point and is included in the recording attached to the email.

Otherwise, i have gotten the crashing problem fixed by going to wired ethernet rather than wireless and it has been completely stable for a few days now.

Jim
Old 05-13-2013, 8:11 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC31 View Post
Andy,

Most of my experimentation with ths feature has been trial and error (mostly the latter). I think i now have the settings correct. When a tone set is detected, the audio comes out of the speakers! Otherwise, they are quiet. So i am watching the program run as i am eating breakfast. The playback stops at the point where "waiting for silence" appears on the screen, even though the dspatch audio continues well past that point and is included in the recording attached to the email.

Otherwise, i have gotten the crashing problem fixed by going to wired ethernet rather than wireless and it has been completely stable for a few days now.

Jim
Ah, good catch. When I implemented the release_time parameter for dynamic record time, I didn't extend the playback functionality into that part of the code. I'll need to fix that in the next release. As a temporary workaround you can increase the record_seconds parameter at the expense of losing some of the benefits of dynamic record time.

Andy

If you need help with TwoToneDetect please read this post first
Old 05-13-2013, 10:16 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Hey Jim, When you get yours to work good, can i mail you an SD card so you can load the image on to it for me. I am getting to the point of "Flying Pi" as i am at the verge of chucking this thing out the window! LOL

Mike
Old 05-13-2013, 10:33 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

I was going to take a stab at creating a fresh version and then archiving it for my own use at this early stage.
If successful making the archive I could also share it to this thread if no one objects. However I will not share that until I see a tone successfully forwarded to my cell and of useable quality.
Don't fly the PI just yet.
Old 05-14-2013, 4:13 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Hey Jim, When you get yours to work good, can i mail you an SD card so you can load the image on to it for me. I am getting to the point of "Flying Pi" as i am at the verge of chucking this thing out the window! LOL

Mike
I will try saving image again to see if i can get it to you
Old 05-14-2013, 9:52 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Success today! Very encouraged!!

PI generated good emails from appropriate tones with sound quality that is better than the old P4 on v57. One day does not prove reliability but it is a start. I also used the variable length recording features of v60 with success. Currently all my squad tones are being duplicated by the PI to only my email.

Andy would you consider a heartbeat subroutine that we could use to flash a user supplied LED/resistor on the PI? I want to end up with a headless setup but knowing the program itself is still running is crucial.

I need to implement auto start and make sure the sound works before I consider removing the 'head'. Implementing the remote config file feature makes sense but SSH can satisfy that issue for now.

FYI I found a nice (paid) tone App for the iPhone that can make tone sequences and record / save them. Tone Generator Pro Michael Heinz with in store upgrade for file saving. I was able to drop box transfer the files around easily and play them on the iPhone and desktop (after changing the extension to mp3)
Old 05-15-2013, 6:04 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidVT View Post
Success today! Very encouraged!!

PI generated good emails from appropriate tones with sound quality that is better than the old P4 on v57. One day does not prove reliability but it is a start. I also used the variable length recording features of v60 with success. Currently all my squad tones are being duplicated by the PI to only my email.

Andy would you consider a heartbeat subroutine that we could use to flash a user supplied LED/resistor on the PI? I want to end up with a headless setup but knowing the program itself is still running is crucial.

I need to implement auto start and make sure the sound works before I consider removing the 'head'. Implementing the remote config file feature makes sense but SSH can satisfy that issue for now.

FYI I found a nice (paid) tone App for the iPhone that can make tone sequences and record / save them. Tone Generator Pro Michael Heinz with in store upgrade for file saving. I was able to drop box transfer the files around easily and play them on the iPhone and desktop (after changing the extension to mp3)

Dave, what are you using for a sound card? And where are you feeding the audio in, through a mic input or through a line in input?

I have found that the payback during record feature works for me only if i use the mic input. If i use the line in, it feeds the scanner audio directly to the speakers. I need to fool around more with the audio out settings to see if i can get it to work better.
Old 05-15-2013, 6:24 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

SoundCard: came from Far East and was under $10 if my memory serves me right. I just found on TigerDirect for $18. It has Mike input and a headphone icon I beloeve is sound out. As of yet I have not made any sound from the PI either on this output or the PI itself. I might load another clean OS this weekend to insure the hardware is ok before proceeding further with tweaking my TTD setup. For now TTD-PI collects and sends which is my primary interest.

StarTech.com ICUSBAUDIO7 Virtual 7.1 USB Stereo Audio Adapter External Sound Card - USB 2.0, USB 1.1, Phono 3.5mm Female, C-Media Chipset
Old 05-15-2013, 5:18 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:

Mike
Okay, Mike, let's try this again. I have saved the image and it is in a compressed file at:

Download piTTD from SourceForge.net

This is my first experience with SourceForge so I don't really know if I did it right. The compressed file is around 1 Gb so don't expect a quick download. Then you will need to extract the file to your computer and then flash the resulting .img file to your SD card. no guarantees...

Good luck with it and let me know how it works out.
Old 05-15-2013, 9:01 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Ah the bleeding edge. Missed a boat load of calls today with nothing in the log files at all but the usual two column stream of data from noise. P4 did fine but PI did not.