Linux Installation for Stream

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueMoon2

Premium Subscriber
Hello Everyone

I have a Windows XP Home Edition system running on a Dell Dimension 2400 with Intel Pentium 4 processor 2.20 GHZ with 640 MB RAM. With Microsoft announcing the end of support for Windows XP in June 2014, I am looking to go to Linux Mint 14 for my new operating system. Here's the problem. I currently use ScannerCast to broadcast my feed. Does anyone know of a good software or package for Linux Mint 14 operating system that I could use to broadcast my feed? I've heard of Darkice but I am a complete newbie when it comes to linux. Can anybody help me with this?

kb8zxe

Darkice is probably your best choice. I have Darkice running on a Raspberry PI but I have not used it on any other Linux flavor. Since I haven't used it on anything other than the PI all I would be doing is pointing you to other documentation already on the internet.

If you are interested in the PI route I do have an image on-line that you can copy. All you would have to do is

1. copy the image to a flashcard
2. install proper sound card on the PI (USB)
3. boot the PI and edit 2 lines in a conf file
4. reboot the PI or re-start Darkice

If you want to go the Dell route it shouldn't be bad either. You just need to make sure that you have MP3 support .

Bob

Interested. Bought a Pi for streaming audio and other testing...

An image to start with would be awesome.

I have Darkice and an Icecast 2 server running under Ubuntu Studio currently, so I am not a complete noob to either..

If you could send a link my way?

I posted in another thread about darkice suddenly taking 99% CPU time under my Ubuntu install... any advice?

I already thought I would set a cron job for killing and restarting darkice every 12 hours... is that what everyone else does?

Thanks,
Aaron

Status
Not open for further replies.