Back up power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

firemansteve6921

Feed Provider
Feed Provider
I provide the feed for Seneca county NY and we have our share of power outtages. I have searched on here and could'nt find any post where people have talked about battery back up power supplies for scanners and computers. which ones are good and which ones should i not waste my money on? what are you guys using? I want to ba able to run the scanner the computer and monitor for atleast a couple hours when the power is out. Thanks in advance!

windpower

Premium Subscriber
Backup power for scanner feed.

I like and use APC SmartUPS for backup power, since these are very reliable units and work thru brownout conditions WITHOUT switching to the battery for longer lifespan. A SmartUPS 900 or 1250 works great for the application you mention... you can attach a larger battery if you need longer run-time.

Remember to connect your internet modem/router/etc as well.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Backup battery

A couple of deep cycle batteries maintained with a float charger is a good start. You also would need the necessary adapters for the proper radio voltage and inverters for the computer and monitor. A laptop would be a plus as the built in battery would give you at least a couple of hours. A large enough UPS to run a computer for two hours would be quite expensive.

wesm1957

Premium Subscriber
When I first did my radio stand I used one of the computer back ups to power my radios. I have everything running on either 12 volts or 9 volts depending on the radios that are on. My main power for my set up is an old computer power supply. I also built a box to hold 4 of the 12 volt sealed batteries that come in the back up units. They are 7AH batteries wired in paralell. Some of the batteries have gone bad and need replaced. My power supply can be switched for 12 volt power when the computer back up shuts off. I am working on a float charging circuit to keep the bank of batteries charged. I have 2 12 volt 12AH batteries I may use in place of the 4 other batteries. I also have a 12 volt 26AH battery I thought about using on my back up that my 2 computers are running off of. You may want to think about a computer back up supply that could be powered by a higher capicaty 12 volt battery. I know the company I work for has a battery back up system for our computer system, but those units are large and take a fork lift to move. I know the only draw back on using a lead acid battery is keeping it inside a living enviroment and also charging it due to the gases produced while the battery is on charge. I hope this helps and maybe gives you some ideas on something to build or set up.

Wes

robert15987

in my computer i put a M4-ATX 250W DC-DC ATX auto car PC power supply
and apicoUPS-120 ATX DC micro UPS. i have two 110amp hour battery
and a 12 power supply to power it
my cable modem and router and scanner run of the m4-atx 12volts output
so if the batterys get low it will shut-off everything
i can run on backup for 15+ hour

Status
Not open for further replies.