Private Scanner Feed - Raspberry PI

Status
Not open for further replies.

kb8zxe

I have been wanting to set up a private scanner feed so I can monitor the county fire repeater in the county where my Dad lives. This county does have a feed on Broadcastify.com but it monitors a lot of channels and is quit busy. My main interest is the fire paging repeater.

The Raspberry PI was interesting to me so I checked into using one. I wanted to use a technology that only streamed audio when the repeater was transmitting, not a 24/7 stream.

I decided on using Speakfreely to stream audio back to my house. It is the same protocol that IRLP uses, http://irlp.net/pi/ To sum it up I have a Raspberry PI at my Dad's connected to a receiver. Once the PI detects audio it starts "pushing" an audio stream to my house. At my house I have another Raspberry PI that is listening to a certain port number, once it receives data over the internet it plays the audio to a local speaker. Both PI's also have Openvpn installed on them, so I am able to access the PI at my Dad's from my house without port forwarding or Dyndns updater.

It works rather well and it uses very little data, less than 10MB per day including the audio and the keep alive for the VPN tunnel. I just wanted to throw the idea out there in case anyone else out there is interested in doing this. If you have any specific questions let me know.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.