Snooper, anyone use it

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaknitt

Feed Provider
Has anyone ever heard of or use "Snooper" to record radio traffic?

We are looking for a program to record and email fire department pages.

Used it for awhile a number of years ago, then I wrote TwoToneDetect instead. Check it out, it's what you want.

Andy

One13Truck

Feed Provider
Used it for awhile a number of years ago, then I wrote TwoToneDetect instead. Check it out, it's what you want.

Andy

I've never seen Snooper before but I did just download TwoToneDetect last weekend. From my brief testing of it I have to say I've been very pleased with it. My only complaint with it is a fairly common one us outcasts have. I have to run it on my laptop which is only on brief periods of time because my "real" computer is a Mac. And though I've used windows emulators in the past I don't want to add it to this one. :( Otherwise though it has worked flawlessly from what I have seen so far!

krokus

Premium Subscriber
I've never seen Snooper before but I did just download TwoToneDetect last weekend. From my brief testing of it I have to say I've been very pleased with it. My only complaint with it is a fairly common one us outcasts have. I have to run it on my laptop which is only on brief periods of time because my "real" computer is a Mac. And though I've used windows emulators in the past I don't want to add it to this one. :( Otherwise though it has worked flawlessly from what I have seen so far!

You could run an older version, utilizing the Python source code. I am not an Apple/Mac guy, but I am sure there are Python compilers available.

DC31

Feed Provider

Krokus and OneTruck,

Two Tone Detect is just what you want. It very reliably detects tone sets using the motorola Quick Call II format, by far the most widely used format in US emergency services. It saves the audio in .mp3 format and emails that to your members. Andy Knitt has developed a wonderful program that is seeing more widespread use every day. I run one copy of the program for the county and have 43 tone sets in it and probably a hundred emails.

I also spend most of my time on a Mac. I ran TTD on a windows XP desktop for a year and a half before i got myself a Raspberry Pi and now i am convinced that is the way to go. You can do the entire setup, excluding the scanner, for around $60-70. The Pi is out of sight and out of mind, just does its thing. My Pi is a "combo" unit running both a RR feed and TTD out of one unit. It works flawlessly. Combining it with a RR feed gives you an automatic notification if it goes down for whatever reason (like when Comcast goes down).

There is another thread on this forum if you are interested in learning more about setting it up on a pi. Post any questions you have there and you will get a prompt answer.

Jim

KB4SHP

Feed Provider
Snooper

I have used Snooper for few years I tired the two tone detect and it was back in the day that every day you had to restart the computer of the program would stop working I found snooper and it works for my needs some my not like it since you have to have a pager or some other device to get the call on but I had a extra pager that was just laying around doing nothing

Status
Not open for further replies.