Icecast help... or something better

Status
Not open for further replies.

ky_fire_man

Premium Subscriber
I am trying to setup Icecast for a private audio feed... I have it almost setup, but I don't know how to remotely access it. And the IP address in the setup is something like 127.0.0.1, does this need to be changed to my IP address?

If you have a better suggestion please pass it along. My goal is to setup an audio feed and be able to listen via a smartphone app but it needs to be password protected.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

ky_fire_man

Premium Subscriber

DC31

Feed Provider
I am trying to setup Icecast for a private audio feed... I have it almost setup, but I don't know how to remotely access it. And the IP address in the setup is something like 127.0.0.1, does this need to be changed to my IP address?

If you have a better suggestion please pass it along. My goal is to setup an audio feed and be able to listen via a smartphone app but it needs to be password protected.

Where the icecast instructions refer to the 127.0.0.1, you need to use the local network IP address of the computer on which you are running icecast. It will likely be in the 127.xxx format as shown above or in the 192.168.X.XXX format. Then to access your stream from another computer on the same network you would open your web browser and point it to 192.168.X.XXX:8000 assuming your icecast setup used port 8000.

To access it from the internet you will need to get into your router setup and set up port forwarding to forward an external port to port 8000 on the local ip address. Do a google search for port forward and your router model number for informtation. This step can be quite challenging.

Your external IP address will be something completely different, like 79.44.576.394. Log on to routeripaddress.com and it will tell you what that one is.

Good luck.

frazpo

Are you using Linux or Windows? Can you access the Icecast interface on the local machine? 127.0.0.1:8000 ?

ky_fire_man

Premium Subscriber
Are you using Linux or Windows? Can you access the Icecast interface on the local machine? 127.0.0.1:8000 ?

I am using an older PC with Windows 98... As far as accessing the feed locally I have not been about to yet... I am going to do some more messing with it this afternoon I hope. I have port forwarding open for ports 8000 & 8001 on my router.

ky_fire_man

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the help on this... I started with Icecast and BUTT but it was a pain in the butt to setup. I tried the RadioFeed that was mentioned and within a few minutes I was online. Thanks!!!

m00ler03

Feed provider
ok question, i would like to do the same with radiofeed and then listen to it via a smartphone while im at work.

in the radiofeed instructions it keeps saying "RadioReference provides this info if streaming to RR."

does that mean i need to apply to broadcast feed?

sorry for the dumb question, still trying to get the hang of this.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
ok question, i would like to do the same with radiofeed and then listen to it via a smartphone while im at work.

in the radiofeed instructions it keeps saying "RadioReference provides this info if streaming to RR."

does that mean i need to apply to broadcast feed?

sorry for the dumb question, still trying to get the hang of this.

Yes, Click the link below.
Becoming a Feed Provider - The RadioReference Wiki

adymoe

Premium Subscriber
Hey guys, Im currently trying to set up the exact same thing. I currently have a feed with broadcastify but I dont want my feed to be public anymore. I want it to be private for me and a couple friends to stream on our smartphones. I do have an account with RR obviously. I might need some assistance setting this up. I have installed RadioFeed but am completely lost on what to do next...the directions are extremely technical for me. any help is GREATLY appreciated guys. Thank you. My email is ady-mo@hotmail.com if its easier to communicate that way.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Hey guys, Im currently trying to set up the exact same thing. I currently have a feed with broadcastify but I dont want my feed to be public anymore. I want it to be private for me and a couple friends to stream on our smartphones. I do have an account with RR obviously. I might need some assistance setting this up. I have installed RadioFeed but am completely lost on what to do next...the directions are extremely technical for me. any help is GREATLY appreciated guys. Thank you. My email is ady-mo@hotmail.com if its easier to communicate that way.

Getting the Web Server going should be done in small steps as a lot of variables involved.

What type of scanner do you have? Are you going to stream Text Tags?

Setting up the audio
You are already streaming so the audio should be ok. You just have to go to the RadioFeed Web Server tab and adjust the input levels by turning up to 100% the used channel(Left or Right) and turn down to 0% the unused channel.

Start the Web Server
Choose a port for the Web Server. Most cases, the default is fine unless that port is already in use.

Test the Web Server Locally
First you need to know the IP address of the computer that the RadioFeed is installed on by clicking the "Get My IP" and record the local IP address. Enter the address and port in the Web Browser(Chrome, IE, FireFox, etc.) Example: http://192.168.1.4:5000/

Advise if you got this far and you can see the Web Server web page. Later we will go over the steps for remotely connecting the browser to the server.

jeatock

Premium Subscriber
Watching this thread and still looking for a better Android app to monitor my RadioFeed webserver.
Suggestions?

Bob's RadioFeed is the program to use!

adymoe

Premium Subscriber
Hey Proscan, I successfully set up my local web server and can listen to my feed via smartphone with my local IP. Now im having trouble getting my phone to load the external IP to listen remotely. My external IP is 64.231.117.113 with port 50. I also went into my router settings and changed port forwarding setting to allow access to that port but its still not working via my mobile connection.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Hey Proscan, I successfully set up my local web server and can listen to my feed via smartphone with my local IP. Now im having trouble getting my phone to load the external IP to listen remotely. My external IP is 64.231.117.113 with port 50. I also went into my router settings and changed port forwarding setting to allow access to that port but its still not working via my mobile connection.

I would start with Canyouseeme.org Open Port Check Tool If that test fails then you have a problem on the server side. Try temporary disabling the firewall/s to see if it works and the firewall is the problem.

Last edited:

adymoe

Premium Subscriber
i tried changing firewall and testing with no success. I have the web server port set at 8080 both on radio feed and my router. i type in the external ip address under aa mobile connection in my phone and it doesnt load the page. im lost at this point and might have a network technician help me out as im friends with one

adymoe

Premium Subscriber
Proscan I got it to work remotely! I had my router port forwarding the external ip rather than local. but now there is one more issue, i can successfully access the server remotely via computer and smartphone but i cant play the audio stream via smartphone, not sure if thats because of the 4g connection or because of the phone??

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Proscan I got it to work remotely! I had my router port forwarding the external ip rather than local. but now there is one more issue, i can successfully access the server remotely via computer and smartphone but i cant play the audio stream via smartphone, not sure if thats because of the 4g connection or because of the phone??

It should work. It was tested yesterday. If the audio stream is password protected then try first without password protection. Are you clicking the link in the browser?

adymoe

Premium Subscriber
Well I believe it has come down to an issue with my smartphone. I can stream the feed successfully with my phone under a wifi connection only...not 4g mobile data

Status
Not open for further replies.