Feed crashing Google Chrome

Status
Not open for further replies.

Command30

I've spent the past hour trying to troubleshoot this exact problem. It's driving me crazy.

The tab crashes in Chrome whenever it is refreshed or whenever any links on the page are clicked. My browser is version 38.0.2125.104 m. Same thing happens in Incognito mode with extensions disabled.

Functionality was normal in IE 11, Firefox 30, and Safari 5.1.10

Last edited:

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Just tried it on Win7 x64 with the latest version of Chrome x64. It began having trouble, giving the purple "He's dead, Jim!" error screen when unloading the page to try to navigate to another link. After a few tries, browser navigation failed completely - Chrome was still running and could be closed, but the page was 'dead' - the mouse would not turn into a hand when rolling over hyperlinks, etc. The browser process had to be completely killed to regain control - even other tabs (which you could still navigate to) were dead.

Manually navigating to a new page by typing in the address bar or using bookmarks does not cause the problem. Clicking on a link which opens in a new tab or window (like the FB/Twitter/G+ links in the upper right) does not cause the problem. Only clicks which cause the active window/tab to change, "unloading" the page, cause the failure.

Does the page work properly without the feed applet? Try removing it completely from your page and see if that works.

EDIT: It happens on my page (see my signature) as well, when the player is running. If the player is stopped, it doesn't fail. Tried the same on your page and I can't get it to crash if I stop the feed before clicking a link/refreshing. I would suggest the web player is buggy. Do you see the popup that warns that the audio feed has stopped responding? I get that briefly when I click thru or refresh, when I don't shut off the feed first.

Last edited:

frazpo

Correction - Mine isn't crashing per say, it just states that it has disconnected from the server and to hit "ok" and it reconnects. (when the feed applet is running) This applies to both Windows and Linux. Is this the scenario you are talking about? Or are you getting the "dead Jim" response?

MuskegonLocal

The page works fine when the scanner is removed.

I'm getting "Dead Jim" response. I don't see any way around this and have no idea how to troubleshoot that :-/

Command30

Hi all,

Several weeks have passed and it would seem there is no resolution or troubleshooting efforts in sight.

I've considered that the problem may be with the underlying e-phonic player rather than RR; still, without any further information, my only interim resolution is to stop embedding Broadcastify feeds.

Approximately half of all web traffic is using Google Chrome, so asking visitors to use an alternative browser is not a viable solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.