What can I use for a private stream?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Subliminal87

What program can I use to set up a private stream for myself to connect to and listen from another computer or iphone?

996xt and 396xt.

frazpo

What program can I use to set up a private stream for myself to connect to and listen from another computer or iphone?

996xt and 396xt.

There are multiple options. One popular answer will be to use Radio Feed by Proscan.
I use a linux setup with Darkice and Icecast for my personal feed.

Subliminal87

There are multiple options. One popular answer will be to use Radio Feed by Proscan.
I use a linux setup with Darkice and Icecast for my personal feed.

Thanks I'll check that out. I am checking out proscan in general for scanner software. I was thinking about shoutcast, but if proscan is easier I will do that.

Do I need a host for proscans software to work?

frazpo

Thanks I'll check that out. I am checking out proscan in general for scanner software. I was thinking about shoutcast, but if proscan is easier I will do that.

Do I need a host for proscans software to work?

A host as in your computer it is running on? You mean to fwd to your IP?

Subliminal87

A host as in your computer it is running on? You mean to fwd to your IP?

sorry, I meant do I need to pay for hosting to use it? Taking a look at it now, if I point it in the direction of Shoutcast and go from there. How do I point my phone in that direction to connect to it?

kb8zxe

I am using 2 different private feed techniques to monitor a scanner and a VHF radio at my dads house. I would recommend running a Raspberry PI with Darkice and Shoutcast. This is very similar to how Broadcastify does it. I am able to listen with my smartphone or computer. This solution can be done for around $50, more if you want a fancy case and don't have audio or power cables. This does not allow control of the scanner though, not a problem for me as I just keep the scanner on 24/7. If you would like a link to my feed PM me and I will share it with you so you can check it out.

The other way I monitor a radio is with a Raspberry PI but I run a different program. It's called Speakfreely, and when it hears audio it will start sending it to a specific IP address. Once they are done talking it stops sending data. At the far end another computer just sits and listens for audio 24/7. This does not work well for listening with a smart phone or random computer though. The advantage here is that you are only using data when there is audio, you are not relying on a client to maintain a connection to the stream 24/7 either. This is more for a 24/7 point to point link.

Bob

Subliminal87

I am using 2 different private feed techniques to monitor a scanner and a VHF radio at my dads house. I would recommend running a Raspberry PI with Darkice and Shoutcast. This is very similar to how Broadcastify does it. I am able to listen with my smartphone or computer. This solution can be done for around $50, more if you want a fancy case and don't have audio or power cables. This does not allow control of the scanner though, not a problem for me as I just keep the scanner on 24/7. If you would like a link to my feed PM me and I will share it with you so you can check it out.

The other way I monitor a radio is with a Raspberry PI but I run a different program. It's called Speakfreely, and when it hears audio it will start sending it to a specific IP address. Once they are done talking it stops sending data. At the far end another computer just sits and listens for audio 24/7. This does not work well for listening with a smart phone or random computer though. The advantage here is that you are only using data when there is audio, you are not relying on a client to maintain a connection to the stream 24/7 either. This is more for a 24/7 point to point link.

Bob

Thanks I will keep this in mind, I am trying to do it for free if that is possible. I'll have to check out speakfreely.

frazpo

It will run on your computer. You will need to forward your port on the router to access it from outside of your network. I have never setup shoutcast however most are the same. It will probably default to port 80. You will need to get your IP to access from out of your own network. So it would look like this,,

123.45.67.891:80 as an example

frazpo

Bob

Bob, I also use a Pi. I haven't used speak freely. How does a player on the end handle that. Does it keep a connection? By what you are saying it does not.

DC31

Feed Provider
Thanks I will keep this in mind, I am trying to do it for free if that is possible. I'll have to check out speakfreely.

Not much in life comes free... Close to it, though, is the raspberry pi option as noted by others. Get yourself a pi ($35), a cheap usb sound card ($5), an SD card, and power and audio cables if you don't have them. The raspberry pi image that I have offered up to share in the "Scanner feed using a Raspberry pi" thread is all set up for what you want to do. It has darkice set up on it to stream to an icecast server on the pi itself. Put the pieces together with one of my SD card images, plug it in and then use your browser (computer or smartphone) to connect to the PI ip address:8000. The image is set up to do this out of the box. You can also feed to Broadcastify in tandem with your private feed if you want.

Another benefit is that you can leave the pi running 24/7 pulling a meager 10 watts or so power. You will pay for that $35 computer quickly when you turn off the desktop that has been running a 200 watt power supply 24/7.

DC31

Feed Provider
Not much in life comes free... Close to it, though, is the raspberry pi option as noted by others. Get yourself a pi ($35), a cheap usb sound card ($5), an SD card, and power and audio cables if you don't have them. The raspberry pi image that I have offered up to share in the "Scanner feed using a Raspberry pi" thread is all set up for what you want to do. It has darkice set up on it to stream to an icecast server on the pi itself. Put the pieces together with one of my SD card images, plug it in and then use your browser (computer or smartphone) to connect to the PI ip address:8000. The image is set up to do this out of the box. You can also feed to Broadcastify in tandem with your private feed if you want.

Another benefit is that you can leave the pi running 24/7 pulling a meager 10 watts or so power. You will pay for that $35 computer quickly when you turn off the desktop that has been running a 200 watt power supply 24/7.

Here is the link to my instructions if you want to take a look:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9sLdBjMInCVdUJ3dEpBSTd0Skk/edit?usp=docslist_api

If you want the image best to send me a PM and I will make sure that you get a link that works.

smason

996xt and 396xt.

For me That's a No-brainer. Proscan! From another windows computer you can have full control of the scanners. I use Proscan for my BCT15. Was using it even for my GRE scanner (no remote control, but great streaming) and FStream on the iPhone, but have switched to Android, and use WIn500 on the GRE now. Still use Proscan on the 15.

kb8zxe

Good Morning,

To answer frazpo's question about speakfreely, there is not a connection 24/7, only when there is audio. The client end listens all the time waiting to hear the audio stream. The radio end listens to the audio source and only sends a stream when there is audio. You really can't use a smart phone to listen though. It does not use MP3, it uses a real time Codec similar to a phone.

This doesn't sound like what Subliminal87 wants, but it is a very unique solution for the right case. With speakfreely you can also send audio back to the radio, perhaps you want to link a transceiver for both transmit and receive. It also allows a conference so multiple people can all stream to a single source. Additionally if it is a slow day and there isn't much audio it uses almost no data, perhaps an issue if you have a capped internet plan and like to listen 24/7. Probably not an issue for most but speakfreely is also near real time, the audio is only delayed for milliseconds with no buffer. Not up to 30 seconds like MP3 can be. Of course you can combine speakfreely and darkice / icecast with 2 sound cards and a simple audio cable to pretty much make it do whatever you can think of.

EDCScanner

Banned for duplicate accounts
Banned
For me That's a No-brainer. Proscan!

+1 I use this option as well and it really works well for me and love it.

If you want a free option and just want to stream then you can use just their streaming software called Radio Feed which does the same thing as ProScan just without the additional radio programing, recording, virtual control etc. I would highly recommend ProScan since it gives you more control but Radio Feed is really great too if you just want to stream and is easy to use.

ProScan

Status
Not open for further replies.