Uniden BCD536HP "Quick and Dirty Wi-Fi Setup Guide for Feed Providers"

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC9NEG

Now that I have audio and data for my feed running nicely over Wi-Fi, another feed provider PM'd me and asked for setup help. I sent this response, and thought I'd cross-post it to the forums in case it would be helpful to anyone else:

-----

Sure, it's a piece of cake... First, be sure your Sentinel is updated, then use Sentinel to update the firmware and dongle of your 536 (the dongle will be updated if its connected to the scanner during the firmware update--if not, it can be updated from a PC as outlined in the Unidin TWIKI).

Once this is done, go into the menu on the radio and choose the Wi-Fi setup option, then go into the setup option, infrastructure mode, and choose your router's SSID (network name). You'll be prompted for a password--enter it. Note: don't advance the cursor to the next blank space after the last character of your password before hitting enter (you use the 4 and 6 keys to move the cursor left and right). The scanner will connect to your network.

Next, make sure you have the latest RadioFeed installed (currently 3.2). Disconnect any audio and USB cables from your scanner to your PC; you can send both audio and metadata (tags) to Broadcastify via URL. Go into your scanner's menu and look at the Wi-Fi settings and write down your scanner's IP address. You'll enter this into the URL field in both the source client and metadata tabs. You'll see the scanner connect and start passing both audio and metadata to Broadcastify.

There's a checkbox on the source client screen for 15dB boost that's checked by default. I believe this is your only "volume control" for your feed. You'll likely need to keep it checked for high enough audio level. The scanner's volume doesn't matter; you can keep it turned down if desired.

I've had a couple of unexplained drops (passed the error codes on to Bob Aune), but I suspect they're related to my network rather than RadioFeed. I'll advise if I learn anything, but my feed's been running trouble-free for 48 hours or so as of now.

Final note: these recent updates have transformed the BCD536HP from a quirky (need for isolation transformer, low audio levels, poor and highly "digital sounding" P25 audio) radio to one of the very best, from this feed provider's perspective. My feed sounds spectacular now--there's virtually no background noise, no "pops" at the beginning and end of transmissions, and the P25 audio is much, much better (less "digital" sounding). If Uniden can improve the digital AGC and get the Siren Android remote control client going, this radio will be nearly as perfect as I could ask for.

Note to Uniden: If you need testers for Siren for Andriod, I'm available and willing--thanks.

Last edited:

KC9NEG

One thing to add: this setup gives a huge advantage if feeding a tricky P25 system (e.g. simulcast). You are now free to put your radio anywhere within range of your router, unencumbered by having to be within cable range of your feed PC. This allows free experimentation with radio and antenna location, which can be critical, as only a few feet can make all the difference when it comes to good P25 reception. Use the radio's RF Power Plot and you'll likely discover there's much improvement to be gained via radio location and antenna tuning.

elambert10A

Hello to the nice man who posted this wi fi quick and dirty setup help.

I've done everything just as you said to and I don't know why but I did the setup on the scanner it said connected. It gave me an IP of 192.168.1.7 I entered that into the audio control section of Source client it says TCP not connected UDP not connected. Then I go to META Tags input that same scanner IP address it says UDP not connected.

I'm very upset and frustrated because I know my computer isn't messed up its working fine I have hi speed FIOS router its working fine. I just don't get it.

I even tried to get in touch by phone with the nice man who posted this helpful post to begin with but haven't had any luck.

I wish the gentleman TED KC9NEG could call me by phone to help me on this.

My phone is 703-973-1044.

mabbey

Feed Provider
I have done these steps and my feed keeps disconnecting from broadcastify. seem like it disconnects every half hour or so and to get it to reconnect I have to go through the scanner wifi settings using the same setting then it works again for a bit. Any ideas as to why. I have the ip address of the scanner reserved in my router

Thanks,
Terry

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
What type of router are you using?
Is your network running on a UPS?
Is your scanner running on a UPS?
What is the lease time in your DHCP server?
Is your computer set to go to sleep power off the USB ports ect. Harddrive never power off always on all settings.
My 536 has been on my network connected to proscan and not dropped off line for almost a year.

mabbey

Feed Provider
it is a new netgear router with no ups systems on anything but power very rarely goes out here. and computer has all sleep settings disabled. and I have the scanner assigned to a ip address outside the dhcp range. I think I may have fixed the problem I think it was a firewall issue keeping my scanner from staying connected to the computer I adjusted some settings and seems to work so far only time will tell.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Glad to hear that it is always the little thing that are the last things we think of. Just a side not if you get a power blink and the computer stays up the scanner will not connect and has to have a power cycle to reconnect that is now why everything is on a ups with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.