RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Computer Aided Monitoring and Programming > Streaming / Broadcasting / Audio Recording

Streaming / Broadcasting / Audio Recording - Interested in putting your scanner online for others to hear? Want to listen to other radios on the internet. This forum is here for you to discuss these topics related to streaming scanners online.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2018, 5:07 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetus View Post
Hi all,
Im trying to setup my rpi to stream am airband and I have a few questions?

Create the following configuration file at /etc/ezstream_bcfy.xml and replace with your mount, password, and stream name.

what should mount and password should be??

The example config below monitors 119.8 MHz AM, with a gain of -35.0db and broadcasts to mount point /999888777 on Broadcastify using the feed's assigned master server audio3.broadcastify.com and a source password of "coolpassword"

should I use the same mount point and again what password should I use?
Mount, Password, etc. are on the Technical Details tab of your Feed Manager page at RadioReference.
Attached Images

Sponsored links
Old 01-09-2018, 5:12 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

On your Broadcastify "manage feed" page click "technicals" tab. Password, mount and server are listed there..

PS: Looks like DC31 answered first but keep asking questions as you try to get it working,

Last edited by JACK26; 01-09-2018 at 5:16 PM..
Old 01-11-2018, 6:01 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I guess that I need a premium account....
Old 01-11-2018, 6:09 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetus View Post
I guess that I need a premium account....
If you sign up to provide a feed they will email you the server, port, mount point, and password. Once you start providing the feed, you will get a free premium account
Old 01-11-2018, 6:23 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

great. just signed up to provide a feed.
now getting the final touches on my feed setup.
thanks guys
I promise more questions will be coming soon. lol
Sponsored links
Old 02-05-2018, 3:08 PM

Jack26, all I can say is "You are the man..".. I've been trying to get my RPi 3 with a Nooelec SMArt SDR to stream to Broadcastify. I spent hours, until I read this whole thread. Now I have it working. The issue right now is the humm. I see you changed from Lame to Sox. I linked to your feed,, WOW is it clear.
What is your current startup commands to get it working. I also have a 30 second delay from transmission to broadcastify output.
This is what I have now..

sudo /usr/local/bin/rtl_fm -d 0 -M fm -f 155.895M -p 1 -l 85 -g 15 -t 2 -E pad -s 12k | \
/usr/bin/lame -r -s 12 --resample 22.05 -m m -b 16 --cbr --lowpass 4 - - | \
/usr/bin/ezstream -c /etc/ezstream_bcfy.xml

https://www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/27481

Thank you

Last edited by Bill1426; 02-05-2018 at 3:18 PM..
Old 02-05-2018, 9:30 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1426 View Post
Jack26,
What is your current startup commands to get it working. I also have a 30 second delay from transmission to broadcastify output.
This is what I have now..

sudo /usr/local/bin/rtl_fm -d 0 -M fm -f 155.895M -p 1 -l 85 -g 15 -t 2 -E pad -s 12k | \
/usr/bin/lame -r -s 12 --resample 22.05 -m m -b 16 --cbr --lowpass 4 - - | \
/usr/bin/ezstream -c /etc/ezstream_bcfy.xml

https://www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/27481

Thank you
Glad to hear you having some luck with this. I posted the bash code here:
https:///goo.gl/9p1oZJ:
The startup files are called "start1.sh" and "start2.sh". Read the "readme.txt" file for general info. The specifics of my feed is obfuscated but the method should be obvious.

In the end, the hardest thing was to write the reconnect code if the connection is lost but it is working well now.

PS: The logic of the code requires that the rpi3 use a fixed ipv4 address on the local network. I had to disable ipv6 locally on the rpi3.

Last edited by JACK26; 02-05-2018 at 9:36 PM..
Old 02-05-2018, 10:59 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Regarding the line hum sounding noise, I still don't why it's manifested but got rid of it by tweaking '-g' gain and '-l' squelch settings. It is highly dependent on signal strength and may change with antenna position.
Old 02-06-2018, 7:31 AM

Did you notice a big change in the audio when you went from Lame to Sox ?
And what dependencies did you install with Sox (ffmeg, libsox-fmt-all) ?
Old 02-06-2018, 11:44 AM

Sox made a difference in the amount of humm.
Very little adjustment is available for -g, -l. with this antenna.
So, it looks like a new antenna is required. Any recommendations ?
Old 02-09-2018, 8:54 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Sox definitely works better than lame. I think sox installs all needed dependencies but software should complain if anything is missing.
Antenna depends on freq and signal strength. The antenna that came with the SDR stick works for me at aprox 480MHz (Aprox 6" 1/4 wave vertical dipole). Signal is strong here.
On -g and -l, those are SDR parameters. 20-30 for -g and around 70 for -l works for me. But depends on signal strength into the SDR. May be a lot different for you. If you're trying to receive anywhere near the 88-108MHz FM band you will need a trap or high pass filter.
Old 02-09-2018, 9:41 PM

I'm working in the 155 - 156 Mhz range. The Telescoping vertical antenna works, but I only have a 1 - 2 point range between the squelch of getting static and no reception. Increasing the gain only make the range tighter. I am using 15.7 gain and 88 on the squelch. My Uniden scanner (BCD536HP), picks up the signal better than the Nooelec SMArt SDR. What I need to do next is to raise the volume on Sox. I haven't had a chance to check into it yet..
Old 02-09-2018, 11:29 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

At 155 MHz you probably need an fm trap antenna filter. I bought this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Broadcast-FM-.../dp/B01LE9LRPM
It reduces the FM commercial band really well.
Depending on signal strength you probably need a larger outdoor type antenna. The higher its mounted the better of course. Reflectors may help too if you know the direction of the signal.

Using SDR# with a windows PC simplifies finding the frequency and seeing any background noise to give you an idea of what your dealing with.

the -g gain, freq and -p offset can be established with SDR# but the -l squelch value may be completely different from what works with SDR# and what works with the rpi3 (another 'gotcha' that took me a long time to figure out.
Old 02-20-2018, 1:56 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

One other thing, a typical radio scanner has a much better front end than a $30.00 rtl-sdr USB type.
I got my rtl-sdr rpi3 setup working with narrow band fm at 480MHz but not much luck receiving anything close to the ATC 150MHz AM band and I live less than 5 miles from KSJC. Can only hear the planes that are just overhead. Probably mostly an antenna problem. A typical radio scanner with that range will have pre-filtering to block the background noise. rtl-sdr not much front end filtering. The FM trap helped but signal still too weak with my current antenna.

Last edited by JACK26; 02-20-2018 at 2:04 AM..
Old 02-20-2018, 2:16 AM

Jack26,
I'm sorry, the comment I added to this thread was supposed to be in the thread about the RTL-SDR & RPi setup.
I read so many threads about the RPi & RTL that I just lost track on what thread I was at.
But to clarify, I am streaming 155mhz NFM Police Dept.. Sorry for my mess up.
Old 02-20-2018, 6:41 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Default rpi rtl-sdr feeders

Hi Bill, No worries. This is one of the many rtl-sdr rpi threads. The topic of this thread is rtl-sdr for ATC receiver but one of the longest regarding the general topic.

I'm just saying that I have rtl-sdr working with rpi3 for 480Mhz nFM range with a strong radio signal. No success with the 150MHz AM range that ATC uses in my area.

So are you able to receive 150MHz well with rtl-sdr rpi combo yet?
Old 02-20-2018, 6:53 PM

I was able to get everything going. I spent hours tweaking to remove the humm during the transmissions.
I removed the antenna that came in the package with the NooElec SMArt, and used one of my mobile 2m ham antennas, which made a difference.
But, today I terminated the feed, because Broadcastify's audio3 keeps dropping. I never setup the auto restart that you use. Maybe in the future, I'll set it up again.
Old 02-21-2018, 1:34 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

The restart code was the hardest thing to get working well but a simpler reboot version was added to the origihal wiki ihstructions (ref post 1 of this thread).
My version is 10 times more complex due to multiple feeds on a single rpi. It trys simple reconnects, restarting NICs etc for each feed and only reboots as a last resort. For a single feed, rebooting alone is usually fine.
Old 02-24-2018, 10:57 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Default Back at it again

Okay, Jack, i took the rtl_ sdr stck back iff the shelf to give it yet another try. This time I am using the code cloned from github to stream a weather radio:

https://github.com/tim273/weather_radio_scripts

Then i made the necessary modifications to monitor my uhf freq and stream to BCFY. It seems to work quite well, streaming with darkice and staying connected without dropped connections. I had it streaming 12-16 hours without issues.

The challenge that I am facing now is choppy audio; small gaps at irregular intervals like 5 sec. or so. Otherwise, the audio is quite good. Any idea on which setting to tweak regarding the choppy audio? I have settled on just about max gain -g 50 and a squelch of -l 80. I have tried the -t parameter with no noticeable change.

Here is the line that I am currently using. I haven’t experimented at all with the parameters in the sox portion of the line. Is that where I should be looking?

rtl_fm -f 460.400M -s 48000 -p 55 -g 44.5 -l 80 | play -q -r 48000 -t raw -e s -b 16 -c 1 -V1 -v 5 - sinc -3.5k

Edit: Here is a recording:

http://ttd.nfshost.com/Northfield.mp3

Last edited by DC31; 02-24-2018 at 11:05 AM..
Old 02-28-2018, 9:34 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Hi DC31,
Reviewing and researching good answers to your questions. Did you try reducing the bandwidth of the rtl-sdr to ~250KHz with the previously discussed edits to rtl-fm.c code? I experienced choppiness too when rtl-fm code was using 1+GHz bandwidth with a narrow band fm signal. If you need more than 250KHz there is larger values you can use but the increments are discrete and defined by the rtl-sdr stick.
On the squelch -l value I think I ended up with 90+. Squelch can cause choppy audio if not optimized too.
That recording link doesn't work anymore. Does either of your live feeds use the rtl-sdr?