Two Tone Finder - tone freq's detected not matching tone frequency generated

Status
Not open for further replies.

a417

Anyone else out there use Two Tone Finder? I was doing mass decoding of tone sets, and I went back thru the logs/files and noticed that TTFv01 is not (Apparently) detecting the frequencies appropriately.

At first I thought I just had agencies w/ non-standard tone-sets (would be my luck), then I started generating software based tones, and piping them into TTFv01 via soft cable & hard cable, then using web based & audacity generated tones...and it's pretty far off.

634.5 hZ generated in an online tone generator & audacity get decoded by TTF as 646.68 hz, 707.3 hz gets decoded as 718.08...etc. It's not a regular offset, I'm not sure if it's a frequency variant issue...but when you have some of those tone sets that area equidistant between two possibles on the Moto QC2 list chart, how do I know which is the generated set? The apparent margin for error on detection is pretty wide.

Last edited:

Voyager

Looks like the sound card may be off in the scanner. Just subtract 2% from the decode and look at the standard Motorola tone sets. Or use another decoder which may have the same issue if used on the same PC.

If this is post-streaming, the encoding may be off, too. (encoding on the streaming source).

Even the actual tone encoder can be 0.5% off and still be within spec.

a417

I've fed it with my SDR, my old venerable 780XLT, and a spectra, and a computer generated audio sine...so it's consistently off despite the audio source. It's almost like there's a variable and non-linear offset, somewhere between 0.5- 2%.

It's just enough to frustrate me on this simple project. Based on how it looks to me, TTFv01 appears to be an early version of TTDxx which was ported over to do just this...and then left to die. There's a couple of config options which (should) appear to have no function in this program.

a417

any idea which version of windows that's looking for? I might have to migrate back to an older system to get it working, Win 7 compatibility barfs...

Status
Not open for further replies.