Help setting up feed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ncfirewire

Hi i have a uiden bcd536 and 436 and i have been using the wifi for my broadcastify feed for 8 months and i want to stop using the wifi and wire it up using the usb serial cable but i am stuck and have a couple of questions

1 the bcd536 has no line out jack so do i plug into the ext speaker jack?

2 if i use the bcd436 am i using the headphone jack?

3 my laptops do not have a line in just a mic jack but when i plug the scanners in it sounds like it is picking up the scanner voice and every bit of ambient noise in the room such as talking, dog barking .tv etc. What did i miss to be able to stop the extra noise and have it just pick up what is going through the audio cable??

thanks in advance
Eric

flythunderbird

Feed Provider
Hi i have a uiden bcd536 and 436 and i have been using the wifi for my broadcastify feed for 8 months and i want to stop using the wifi and wire it up using the usb serial cable but i am stuck and have a couple of questions

1 the bcd536 has no line out jack so do i plug into the ext speaker jack?

You can, but I'd suggest that you try the headphone jack first.

2 if i use the bcd436 am i using the headphone jack?

Yes.

3 my laptops do not have a line in just a mic jack but when i plug the scanners in it sounds like it is picking up the scanner voice and every bit of ambient noise in the room such as talking, dog barking .tv etc. What did i miss to be able to stop the extra noise and have it just pick up what is going through the audio cable??

Mic jacks are finicky things because they are very sensitive. They can be used, but they are not easy to get right. Check to see if the computer has mic gain turned up; if so, turn it down. You'll have to work with the mic gain and the scanner volume to get it right. Does the laptop have a built-in mic? If so, make sure it is muted.

A better idea is to purchase a USB audio adapter for your audio signal. They can be purchased for as little as a few dollars on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-External-Adapter-Windows-AU-MMSA/dp/B00IRVQ0F8/

I use this one because I was never able to get the mic jack on my feed computer to work to my satisfaction. It's a little more expensive, but it delivers absolutely stellar results.

Amazon.com: Behringer UCA202 Audio Interface: Musical Instruments

Ncfirewire

Thanks for your help the problem is all of my laptops are newer and they no longer contain a mic jack just the built in mic that is on the screen lip so i dug out my oldest laptop that had a mic jack and it works great.

that usb adapter that you mentioned will that work if the laptop has no mic jacks at all?

You can, but I'd suggest that you try the headphone jack first.

Yes.

Mic jacks are finicky things because they are very sensitive. They can be used, but they are not easy to get right. Check to see if the computer has mic gain turned up; if so, turn it down. You'll have to work with the mic gain and the scanner volume to get it right. Does the laptop have a built-in mic? If so, make sure it is muted.

A better idea is to purchase a USB audio adapter for your audio signal. They can be purchased for as little as a few dollars on Amazon.

Amazon.com: Sabrent USB External Stereo Sound Adapter for Windows and Mac. Plug and play No drivers Needed. (AU-MMSA): Computers & Accessories

I use this one because I was never able to get the mic jack on my feed computer to work to my satisfaction. It's a little more expensive, but it delivers absolutely stellar results.

Amazon.com: Behringer UCA202 Audio Interface: Musical Instruments

flythunderbird

Feed Provider
Thanks for your help the problem is all of my laptops are newer and they no longer contain a mic jack just the built in mic that is on the screen lip so i dug out my oldest laptop that had a mic jack and it works great.

that usb adapter that you mentioned will that work if the laptop has no mic jacks at all?

It will work on any computer with a USB jack; it takes the audio from the scanner and converts it to USB audio. Windows will see it as a USB audio device, and you'll be able to adjust the input level in the Windows audio settings. Then all you have to do is set your feed software to use the USB audio as its input.

If you decide to buy the Behringer device, let me know; you may have to install some free driver software for it. I can point you to it. The Sabrent device does not need any additional software.

Ncfirewire

i will try the Sabrent one first as long as it works on windows 10
i have had my feed going for 10 months but im tired of the timeouts that i believe was caused my the bcd536 using wifi.

I have another question for you i have been trying all day to run 2 separate feeds on one computer is this possible? i thought if i used a y splitter and picked the right side on 1 scanner and the left for the second it would work but the sound came through for both feeds on each feed.
IF i used 2 of the sabrent adapters would this work?

It will work on any computer with a USB jack; it takes the audio from the scanner and converts it to USB audio. Windows will see it as a USB audio device, and you'll be able to adjust the input level in the Windows audio settings. Then all you have to do is set your feed software to use the USB audio as its input.

If you decide to buy the Behringer device, let me know; you may have to install some free driver software for it. I can point you to it. The Sabrent device does not need any additional software.

flythunderbird

Feed Provider
i will try the Sabrent one first as long as it works on windows 10
i have had my feed going for 10 months but im tired of the timeouts that i believe was caused my the bcd536 using wifi.

I know that the Sabrent adapter will work up through Windows 8, so Windows 10 shouldn't be a problem. It just uses the default Windows USB audio drivers.

I have another question for you i have been trying all day to run 2 separate feeds on one computer is this possible? i thought if i used a y splitter and picked the right side on 1 scanner and the left for the second it would work but the sound came through for both feeds on each feed.
IF i used 2 of the sabrent adapters would this work?

Sure, you can run two different feeds on one computer; that's how I do it. I don't know if you can use two separate Sabrent adapters simultaneously, as I've never tried it - but I'd guess that you could; you'd just have to hook up one and get it working before you hooked up the second one(so you could keep it straight).

The Behringer USB audio device has separate left-right inputs, which is very handy for running two feeds on one computer; you set the feed software to use left-side audio for one feed and right-side audio for the other feed.

Ncfirewire

ok you sold me lol i will get the behringer one ill let you know when i get it in case i need drivers

I know that the Sabrent adapter will work up through Windows 8, so Windows 10 shouldn't be a problem. It just uses the default Windows USB audio drivers.

Sure, you can run two different feeds on one computer; that's how I do it. I don't know if you can use two separate Sabrent adapters simultaneously, as I've never tried it - but I'd guess that you could; you'd just have to hook up one and get it working before you hooked up the second one(so you could keep it straight).

The Behringer USB audio device has separate left-right inputs, which is very handy for running two feeds on one computer; you set the feed software to use left-side audio for one feed and right-side audio for the other feed.

Ncfirewire

i notice the inputs on Behringer are rca not 1/8 jacks so what extra adapters would i need ? might as well get everything i need at once

Last edited:

flythunderbird

Feed Provider
Last edited:

Ncfirewire

Status
Not open for further replies.