RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog
 

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Computer Aided Monitoring and Programming > Streaming / Broadcasting / Audio Recording


Streaming / Broadcasting / Audio Recording - Interested in putting your scanner online for others to hear? Want to listen to other radios on the internet. This forum is here for you to discuss these topics related to streaming scanners online.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 07-11-2016, 9:25 PM
Member
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 829
Default Two Tone Detect on a Pi3 using UbuntuMATE

It took me a while but I seem to have gotten an image to run TTD (v68) well on Ubuntu-MATE on a Raspberry Pi3. Below is a link to a copy of the image. It is from a 16 gb SD card so you will need a card at least that big. Be ready for it to take an hour or more to download and then another hour or two possibly to image your card.

The UbuntuMATE image closely resembles the Windows version of TTD. There are icons on the desktop for TTD and for the Tones Editor. If you are familiar with the Windows version or follow Andy's Windows set up instructions (TwoToneDetect) you shouldn't have much trouble with it. This image version automatically loads TTD at boot up so will self recover after a power failure. It also supports .amr attachments.

The image also contains Windows Remote Desktop to facilitate remoting in without monitor or keyboard.

1. Download the compressed image to your computer.

2. Extract the .img file and image your SD card using Win32 Disk Imager, Etcher (etcher.io) or your choice of imaging software.

3.Put the freshly imaged card into your Pi3.

4. Connect up an HDMI monitor, a usb sound card, an ethernet cable, usb keyboard/mouse, and then power up the pi.

5. The monitor should boot to the MATE desktop with Pulse Audio Volume Control and Two Tone Detect running. Be patient, there will be a few seconds where the monitor is completely blank. There is also a 20 second delay on the launch of TTD to allow Pulse to get loaded. Give it a minute or so and it should completely load up.

6. click on the Recording tab in Pulse Audio Volume Control and make sure that it is coming from the USB Audio device, not either of the monitors.

7. use the Edit Configuration button on the TTD window to enter your email credentials, etc.

8. use the Tones Editor icon on the desktop to launch the tones editor to put in your tone sets.

9. After making changes, use the Exit button in the TTD window to exit the program and then the desktop TTD icon to relaunch with the changes.


Good luck.


The link:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9...EpBMlZPMWxoczg
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 07-12-2016, 12:32 AM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 4
Default

Cool, thanks for putting this out there. For some reason Pulseaudio is giving me fits on the Pi 3 and Raspbian. I'll download this and see how it works.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 07-12-2016, 5:26 AM
Member
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 829
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC31 View Post
It took me a while but I seem to have gotten an image to run TTD (v68) well on Ubuntu-MATE on a Raspberry Pi3. Below is a link to a copy of the image. It is from a 16 gb SD card so you will need a card at least that big. Be ready for it to take an hour or more to download and then another hour or two possibly to image your card
One omission: username is ubuntu. Password is ttd-pi

It will launch without using the passwords but if you get into making any command line changes, you may need them.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 07-12-2016, 9:41 PM
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Alden, NY
Posts: 4
Default

Hello DC31. This image is very nice. I have been running the Mate version for a bit now since you pointed me in that direction and am loving it. Maybe it is just me but this image seems to run smoother. I like to run TTD in a remote session more for convenience of access than anything. Nothing shows local. Is there a way to launch TTD into a specific session (remote session) or better yet, can I log into the local session via remote? The later would be ideal. That way, it would not matter how I accessed it. Just wondering.

Thanks in advance as always.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 07-15-2016, 10:07 AM
Member
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 829
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by damonzane View Post
Hello DC31. This image is very nice. I have been running the Mate version for a bit now since you pointed me in that direction and am loving it. Maybe it is just me but this image seems to run smoother. I like to run TTD in a remote session more for convenience of access than anything. Nothing shows local. Is there a way to launch TTD into a specific session (remote session) or better yet, can I log into the local session via remote? The later would be ideal. That way, it would not matter how I accessed it. Just wondering.

Thanks in advance as always.
You might be able to log into the local session using VNC. I haven't tried it.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 10-17-2016, 6:32 PM
Member
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Coldwater
Posts: 10
Default

Set this up last night, was able to add darkice and have it boot at startup. recording and sound is good how ever on the test page tonight it send out a email and text to the first station and did the same again for the last two. So i know i just confused u all LOL. I do the alerts for 3 stations, when the tone came for the first station it sent out the page, but when the tones came out for the second and third station it emailed and text to all the recipients of the first station. Any ideas??
I am now on a pi3 b cheap usb sound card with powered usb hub.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 10-17-2016, 10:58 PM
Member
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 829
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by burhead1 View Post
Set this up last night, was able to add darkice and have it boot at startup. recording and sound is good how ever on the test page tonight it send out a email and text to the first station and did the same again for the last two. So i know i just confused u all LOL. I do the alerts for 3 stations, when the tone came for the first station it sent out the page, but when the tones came out for the second and third station it emailed and text to all the recipients of the first station. Any ideas??
I am now on a pi3 b cheap usb sound card with powered usb hub.
Can you post the logfile showing the dispatches that you are referencing? Are any of the same tones used in the second two tone sets?

You may also need to tighten up your tone tolerance setting in the config file.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 12-29-2016, 9:21 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 14
Default

Thanks for doing this. Haven't touched Linux in a good ten years and you gave me a great head start. Already have TTD and Darkice up and running.

I can't seem to get darkice to run at boot though. All I need to do it execute the command padsp darkice (no superuser or anything special) but I can't seem to get it to go using the Startup Applications menu in Control Panel. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 12-30-2016, 7:12 AM
Member
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 829
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahaas View Post
Thanks for doing this. Haven't touched Linux in a good ten years and you gave me a great head start. Already have TTD and Darkice up and running.

I can't seem to get darkice to run at boot though. All I need to do it execute the command padsp darkice (no superuser or anything special) but I can't seem to get it to go using the Startup Applications menu in Control Panel. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
I struggled with autostart also, i remember. It has been several months since i touched this setup and i don't remember the details now, but it sounds like you are on the right track.

I have two "production" pi's, each running TTD and darkice. Both are old original model B units. They run so well that i don't dare change or upgrade!
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 02-14-2017, 11:23 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 10
Default Thank you!

Just wanted to say *thanks* for posting this image, DC31!
Have it running for a few days down on my new RPi 3.

FWIW, at first when I set it up, the audio would stop working/TTD would freeze intermittently.
I ran the Ubuntu Software Updater, and ever since it has been working pretty much flawlessly.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 03-31-2017, 1:15 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Metropolis, IL
Posts: 48
Default

I noticed that after loading the image file and booting my pi that it's running TTD v67. What should the audio input device and audio output device be set on from the TTD window? Input I have default and pulse to choose from and output I have bcm2835 alsa, sysdefault, pulse, default.. Any other changes to be made in pulse audio other that setting the recording to USB?
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 03-31-2017, 2:18 PM
Member
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 829
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckie27 View Post
I noticed that after loading the image file and booting my pi that it's running TTD v67. What should the audio input device and audio output device be set on from the TTD window? Input I have default and pulse to choose from and output I have bcm2835 alsa, sysdefault, pulse, default.. Any other changes to be made in pulse audio other that setting the recording to USB?
Set the input to pulse, you aren't really outputting anything, unless you are trying to use playback during record.

Recording from usb and you should have it.

Adjust the pulse audio volume and the squelch slider so that you see "No audio" when there is no radio traffic and a freq number when there is traffic.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 04-01-2017, 6:22 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Metropolis, IL
Posts: 48
Default

I set everything up as directed... I changed my scanner feed to a constant audio source (weather) and I didn't notice any change in the freq on the TTD window... Even had a call in the middle of the night that didn't get captured.... Is there a log file that shows what was happening at that time.. Or could something else be wrong?
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 04-01-2017, 8:51 PM
Member
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 829
Default

Logs are in the /logfiles directory.

Open pulse audio volume control. Click on the Recording tab and make sure that you are feeding from the usb sound card. You may also need to adjust this volume slider up. Adjust the sqelch slider in the TTD window, too.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 04-03-2017, 11:53 AM
Member
   
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Metropolis, IL
Posts: 48
Default

Did you write the Ubuntu image dc31? If so how can I use the mp3 file to verify that I'm getting audio into TTD?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 04-03-2017, 6:56 PM
Member
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 829
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckie27 View Post
Did you write the Ubuntu image dc31? If so how can I use the mp3 file to verify that I'm getting audio into TTD?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
If it is recording an mp3 with audio that you can hear then you are getting audio into TTD.

I hardly "wrote" that image. I was more like I downloaded the UbuntuMate OS, installed Andy's TTD program for linux, grabbed it by the neck and choked it until it ran...
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 04-06-2017, 5:08 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Metropolis, IL
Posts: 48
Default

I got it to recognize and send tones using my phone and a program called Ted tones out. I've tried both a mono and a stereo cable. I took the scanner I was using on a Windows based TTD set up and the cable it worked with. When I use that cable TTD on the pi hangs on 301.0 MHz. When I put the stereo cable from the scanner to the pi..I get nothing at all. Now what? Sorry to all for being a P.I.T.A. on this.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 04-06-2017, 7:38 PM
Member
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 829
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckie27 View Post
I got it to recognize and send tones using my phone and a program called Ted tones out. I've tried both a mono and a stereo cable. I took the scanner I was using on a Windows based TTD set up and the cable it worked with. When I use that cable TTD on the pi hangs on 301.0 MHz. When I put the stereo cable from the scanner to the pi..I get nothing at all. Now what? Sorry to all for being a P.I.T.A. on this.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
That sounds like possibly a ground loop isolation problem or something associated with the power supply.

301 hz= the fifth harmonic of 60 hz possibly. Try changing power supplies or better yet try running the pi off a battery pack. Also try getting the pi to hang on 301 then adjust the squelch up until it disappears.
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 04-06-2017, 7:40 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Metropolis, IL
Posts: 48
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC31 View Post
That sounds like possibly a ground loop isolation problem or something associated with the power supply.

301 hz= the fifth harmonic of 60 hz possibly. Try changing power supplies or better yet try running the pi off a battery pack. Also try getting the pi to hang on 301 then adjust the squelch up until it disappears.
I was thinking it had to do with the scanner... That 301 goes away when I unplug the scanner from the sound card.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 04-07-2017, 3:58 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Metropolis, IL
Posts: 48
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckie27 View Post
I was thinking it had to do with the scanner... That 301 goes away when I unplug the scanner from the sound card.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
I finally got it going and recording... Thanks everyone for all your help. Now I'm just working on remoting into the pi.... And I've noticed on boot up in seeing a message of failed to load kernel modules.... Is that common?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All information here is Copyright 2012 by RadioReference.com LLC and Lindsay C. Blanton III.Ad Management by RedTyger
Copyright 2015 by RadioReference.com LLC Privacy Policy  |  Terms and Conditions