RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Computer Aided Monitoring and Programming > Streaming / Broadcasting / Audio Recording

Streaming / Broadcasting / Audio Recording - Interested in putting your scanner online for others to hear? Want to listen to other radios on the internet. This forum is here for you to discuss these topics related to streaming scanners online.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2017, 8:08 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

What's the live link to your Android feed, I would love to hear what it sounds like.
Thanks
Old 07-07-2017, 8:18 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Bartow County Fire and EMS - Live Audio Feed Web Player I literally just plugged it all in last night and listened for about 5 minutes before I went to bed. I haven't been able to fine tune it yet, but hopefully will this weekend.
Old 07-07-2017, 8:57 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

The scanner audio sounds great, the background hiss would be an issue. If you have metered bandwidth on your internet connection (Xfinity stinks) this will count as constant data transfer. The older windows 10 laptop, once the squelch tail ended, would go completely silent, no hiss. This would be my concern. I just ordered the TRS to TRRS adapter, so I'll have to play around with it once I get it. Did you use the same "Broadcast Myself" app?
Old 07-07-2017, 9:24 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

I am using the Broadcast myself app, free version.
Old 07-07-2017, 10:35 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by BartowCountyScanner View Post
a TRRS adapter laying around

Do you happen to know which exact model of TRRS adapter it is? I've had terrible luck while interfacing with my Pro-95 scanner. It seems to output mono on both L/R which leads to having to leave the cable sort of 2/3 plugged into the TRRS adapter.
Sponsored links
Old 07-07-2017, 10:40 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

I'm under the impression that scanners only output mono audio. Anyone have a true answer on this?
Old 07-07-2017, 11:10 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Can confirm that the RadioShack PRO-95, Uniden BCD436HP and BCD396XT all output the same mono audio channel to both headphone channels.
Old 07-07-2017, 11:42 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by chudgoo View Post
Do you happen to know which exact model of TRRS adapter it is? I've had terrible luck while interfacing with my Pro-95 scanner. It seems to output mono on both L/R which leads to having to leave the cable sort of 2/3 plugged into the TRRS adapter.
The one I have, it came with a microphone I purchased last year.
Search Amazon for Zaxsound trrs it is like $5.95. I will try to post a link when I get access to a computer, but here is a description

ZaxSound

Mobile Phone Audio Splitter Cable with one 3.5mm Male (TRRS) and two 3.5mm (TRS) Female connectors, one for external 3.5mm Speaker and one for external 3.5mm Microphone by ZaxSound
Old 07-07-2017, 4:18 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
The one I have, it came with a microphone I purchased last year.
Search Amazon for Zaxsound trrs it is like $5.95. I will try to post a link when I get access to a computer, but here is a description

ZaxSound

Mobile Phone Audio Splitter Cable with one 3.5mm Male (TRRS) and two 3.5mm (TRS) Female connectors, one for external 3.5mm Speaker and one for external 3.5mm Microphone by ZaxSound

Here is the link http://a.co/gMzVExo
Old 07-07-2017, 8:07 PM

So I tried this, and got it to work, once, but now I cannot get it to connect, the only thing I can figure is that I'm not on Wi-Fi, has anyone else been able to connect over the phones network instead of wifi
Old 07-07-2017, 8:27 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

It should work as long as your server and logons are correct. It's going to eat up your bandwidth on your data plan pretty quickly.
Old 07-07-2017, 8:30 PM

I have unlimited, they will slow me down eventually but I'm not worried about that, I've checked my login info it's all good, only thing different from when it worked and now is I was on Wi-Fi then, not sure what the issue is, it connects, then disconnects right after.
Old 07-08-2017, 5:27 PM

After testing, I've confirmed, for some reason the app, and others like it, will only work on Wi-Fi for me, it may be AT&T(my provider) or may just be the way the app works.
Old 07-08-2017, 10:12 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Bartow County Fire and EMS - Live Audio Feed Web Player I literally just plugged it all in last night and listened for about 5 minutes before I went to bed. I haven't been able to fine tune it yet, but hopefully will this weekend.
Been trying some different things. I swapped the feed to another so I am updating the link. Next week I will get another TRRS cable so I will have both feeds running on android devices (no more computer!). Until then, here is the current link. Bartow County Sheriff, Police, Fire, and EMS - Live Audio Feed Web Player

The hum/hiss/background noise is still present. I tried playing with the mic gain but it didn't help. I am not using a mono cable, just a standard AUX. cable from the headphone jack of the scanner (BC340CRS) to the TRRS splitter, so that may be part of the issue. I upgraded to the pro version to get the 24 Kbits/s

The phone I am using is really small, and it is a pain in the rear trying to type on the screen keyboard, so the remote access from my laptop is a God send!
Old 07-28-2017, 10:36 PM

Really awesome idea! Great job!
Old 07-29-2017, 4:09 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

An update to my earlier posts, neither of the links I provided are being broadcasted with the android device. I never could remove the constant humming sound, but more than that, I recently acquired a radio with a software interface. I plan on keeping the Android devices on standby and may utilize them as a backup.
Old 07-29-2017, 6:44 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Will that app take a Bluetooth input? I am considering setting a stereo feed, so the mic input would not be adequate.

Sent via Tapatalk
Old 07-29-2017, 7:19 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by krokus View Post
Will that app take a Bluetooth input? I am considering setting a stereo feed, so the mic input would not be adequate.

Sent via Tapatalk
I've never tried it so I am not sure. I did notice when I unplugged the mic input that it started using the phone's built in mic, which was broadcasting what was being heard in my room (TV, talking, etc...). I am curious of how the radio will connect to the phone via Bluetooth.You plan on using a transmitter?
Old 07-29-2017, 8:11 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Update: I have been trying to use the android, but have finally gotten to the point that I give up. The constant hiss can be overcome by using the Line Out (on Uniden scanners with Rec Out). This will not work with headphone or Ext Speaker output.

Using Broadcast Myself, the sample rate is showing 8000 which is only 1/3 what it should be at, so the sound was not the best.

Also, after having it up all day yesterday, I returned home to what sounded like over modulation, no matter what I tried, I could not get rid of it. Sounded horrible. I even restarted the phone and only to return to the same garbage quality sound. Not sure what happened.

Anyways, I'm back on Windows 7/Scannercast with great sound. It's sad that there is only ONE app out there to use for streaming a live feed.
Old 07-29-2017, 7:04 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
I am curious of how the radio will connect to the phone via Bluetooth.You plan on using a transmitter?
If it would accept the input, sure. There are inexpensive BT devices on Amazon, that have a 3.5 mm stereo input. That is easy to wire up.

But if it goes much beyond that, it would be easier, and more cost effective, to use a Pi2 and a sound card dongle.

Sent via Tapatalk

Tags
android streaming linux