using sdr for marine channel 16 feed

Status
Not open for further replies.

starshippe

good evening,
. . i am most interested in using an sdr instead of a scanner/sound card. i notice instructions for this on aircraft frequencies, but can i do it on marine 16?
. . my experience with sdr's is limited to the adsb feed to flightaware. the dongle i am using has very poor sensitivity, but a 24 db preamp resolved that problem. no, they are not cheap.
. . any info would be appreciated.

thanks,
bill
k4tve

DC31

Feed Provider
good evening,
. . i am most interested in using an sdr instead of a scanner/sound card. i notice instructions for this on aircraft frequencies, but can i do it on marine 16?
. . my experience with sdr's is limited to the adsb feed to flightaware. the dongle i am using has very poor sensitivity, but a 24 db preamp resolved that problem. no, they are not cheap.
. . any info would be appreciated.

thanks,
bill
k4tve

Monitoring marine 16 (freq 156.800 mhz) should be no more challenging than monitoring another frequncy with the sdr stick. Some seem to have better luck with it than others.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Why in the world would you want to use a SDR - even a USD20 dongle - when any el-cheapo scanner with a good outdoor antenna (assuming you're near a major waterway) would do the job with much less hassle?

???

Mike

KC4RAF

Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the s
Have to agree with Mike about using a scanner and not SDR. Just punch in the frequency, 156.800 Mhz, and you're done. A VHF outdoor antenna, (if you're allowed to have one at you QTH) will do the trick.
SDRs require quite a bit of information input if it hasn't already been done for that freq.

Status
Not open for further replies.