RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Computer Aided Monitoring and Programming > Streaming / Broadcasting / Audio Recording

Streaming / Broadcasting / Audio Recording - Interested in putting your scanner online for others to hear? Want to listen to other radios on the internet. This forum is here for you to discuss these topics related to streaming scanners online.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2017, 5:53 PM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Do the same thing for the other using the white cables. That audio isolator is for two audio channels. A left and a right. Obviously two way radio is not in stereo so only one channel is used. That gives you an extra to use for a different feed.

The isolator works by taking signal into one side (say white for example) routing it through a small transformer in that big round tube and then back out to the other white plug. It doesn't matter what direction. Don't confuse white and red. They are completely isolated from each other and only share the same plastic tube housing.

What I've done is use the microphone or line in of the PC sound card for one radio feed using the RED side and then used a sound card USB dongle like you showed us above for a separate feed using the WHITE side.
Sponsored links
Old 08-11-2017, 6:07 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by mancow View Post
Do the same thing for the other using the white cables. That audio isolator is for two audio channels. A left and a right. Obviously two way radio is not in stereo so only one channel is used. That gives you an extra to use for a different feed.

The isolator works by taking signal into one side (say white for example) routing it through a small transformer in that big round tube and then back out to the other white plug. It doesn't matter what direction. Don't confuse white and red. They are completely isolated from each other and only share the same plastic tube housing.

What I've done is use the microphone or line in of the PC sound card for one radio feed using the RED side and then used a sound card USB dongle like you showed us above for a separate feed using the WHITE side.
Ok, Thank you for the detailed explanation. I need to buy 2 more Jacks like I do for the red. I only bought 2.

Thank god for prime. I'll get it Monday. I'll work on the scanner tomorrow. If I run into any problems I will come back here and explain what I did.

Thank You

Last edited by NFR85; 08-11-2017 at 6:18 PM..
Old 08-11-2017, 6:32 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Ok. I did Lawrence. I don't hear the hum! Now I wait till Monday to get the other jacks.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:55 AM
Database Admin

Good to hear you got it figured out.
Old 08-14-2017, 12:35 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Good to hear you got it figured out.
Can you help me out? I bought this from Amazon thinking it was the same as Ebay. And still have a hum on Chelsea.

This is the one from Ebay 1/8 3.5mm Male Mono Phone Plug to Female RCA Phono Jack Adapter 2 pcs | eBay

This is the one from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The difference I see is the color tip is darker orange no yellow. I plugged in the white cable from the one I got from Amazon with the hum. Are these different Jacks?

I need 8 more for other radios I need to fix. And Ebay has 5 left. Would this work? https://www.radioshack.com/products/...rca-phono-jack

Last edited by NFR85; 08-14-2017 at 1:23 PM..
Sponsored links
Old 08-14-2017, 1:44 PM
Database Admin

All of those should work fine. They are all electrically the same.
Old 08-14-2017, 1:48 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
All of those should work fine. They are all electrically the same.
Ok the one I got from Amazon does not work. I plugged the White into the Sound card. 2nd white into the Ext. Speaker and still had the loud hum.
Old 08-14-2017, 1:53 PM
Database Admin

Have you tried switching out with other adapters to make sure that the new ones are the problem? Are you sure it's the ones you bought that are the issue and others you have on hand already work without the hum?
Old 08-14-2017, 2:07 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Have you tried switching out with other adapters to make sure that the new ones are the problem? Are you sure it's the ones you bought that are the issue and others you have on hand already work without the hum?
I got them on Amazon because I have prime. But When I plugged it into the Lawrence feed I got silence no audio. Plugged it into the Chelsea still loud hum. Plugged in the ones from Ebay hum gone from Lawrence. I think there is something wrong with the sound card. I switched them around and presto gone.

Going to buy another sound card same one I have for Lawrence.

Last edited by NFR85; 08-14-2017 at 2:14 PM..
Old 08-14-2017, 2:11 PM
Database Admin

Maybe a bad solder joint. I think you are on the right track with your assessment. I've had the USB sound cards go bad as well.
Old 08-14-2017, 2:20 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Maybe a bad solder joint. I think you are on the right track with your assessment. I've had the USB sound cards go bad as well.
It stinks they do go bad. Last time I bought the one that is bad was April of 2015! So the new one that I use for Lawrence should definitely fix my issue
Old 08-14-2017, 6:58 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

One reason the RS Isolator is necessary (even without ground loop hum) is that most new scanners have a bridge amplifier, and connecting something other than a speaker can damage the scanner or possibly the sound card, because there is DC voltage present. The transformer in the RS isolator looks like a speaker to the receiver, and it is happy, and the audio gets to the sound card without any DC voltage. The USB sound cards get reference from +5 V and the receiver bridge amplifier is +12V. This puts reverse polarization on the input coupling capacitors.

Last edited by RFI-EMI-GUY; 08-14-2017 at 7:02 PM..
Old 08-14-2017, 8:37 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFR85 View Post
Ok the one I got from Amazon does not work. I plugged the White into the Sound card. 2nd white into the Ext. Speaker and still had the loud hum.
The purpose of the connectors is not to eliminate the hum. Chances are they are good if they pass audio. I would swap the red and white wires of the audio isolator to see if one of the channels internal to the audio isolator is bad. Also the audio isolator eliminates hum produced from ground loops only. Other sources of hum will not go away. The scanner can produce hum from the internal power supply not filtering out the 60 cycles so you may swap scanners and see if the hum stays with the scanner or moves to the other scanner.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:00 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Thank you everyone who has helped me on this issue. Both feeds are free of the hum. Now if I can only get more listeners on Chelsea. Thank You again
Old 08-14-2017, 10:34 PM
Database Admin

Excellent!
Old 08-14-2017, 10:58 PM
Database Admin

195 posts explaining how to plug audio connector into jacks. Good grief.
Old 08-15-2017, 1:14 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR8000 View Post
195 posts explaining how to plug audio connector into jacks. Good grief.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
Old 08-15-2017, 4:56 AM

Amen, longest thread ever ??? 195 posts, 6825 Views, UUUUGGGGGHHHHH it was painful to read.
Glad is sorted.