System requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

PrivatelyJeff

Has more money than sense
Premium Subscriber
What are the system requirements for running a single stream? Can it work in a virtualized system? What about if I scale up to 8 streams (it would be a dedicated system at this point)?

Rob_K

Feed Provider
I run 4 instances of RadioFeed (ProScan) on a 10+ year old thin client without any issue. I also have a PC with an AMD E-240 APU that works OK. Windows takes awhile to boot (even with an SSD) but once Windows loads, the feeds run fine.

A VM would work OK if you're able to mount the sound card in to the VM. I know VMWare lets you mount a USB device but I've never had a need to try USB sound in a VM.

I've been using the same thin client for 5 or 6 years and until recently, it has been rock solid. I am planning to try and move my feeds to a Raspberry Pi since my thin client is getting up there in age.

Good luck with your project.

-Rob

PrivatelyJeff

Premium Subscriber
Good to know. I’ll probably try and buy a intel NUC or something similar that I can dedicate to it.

PrivatelyJeff

Premium Subscriber
Good to know. I’ll probably try and buy a intel NUC or something similar that I can dedicate to it.

DC31

Feed Provider
I am getting a nanopi duo delivered this week to try as a streamer.

NanoPi Duo Starter Kit

The $17.95 turns into $25 and change when shipping is included. So it is a little less than 1/2 the price of a RPi. It accepts sound input so there should be no need for a usb sound card. It sounds very similar to the RPi so i think it will work.

I also found it relatively easy to set up a CHIP single board computer with darkice and that worked fine as a streamer. Www.getchip.com. They sold for $9 plus shipping and didn't need a usb sound card either. Problem is that even though they appear to be available, they haven't shipped one in almost a year. They would make an excellent low-cost dedicated streamer if available.

Status
Not open for further replies.