New iMac. Cable questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

One13Truck

Feed Provider
I, I mean Santa, finally decided it was time to let my 2008 iMac have it's well deserved retirement. Sitting in it's place on my computer desk is a brand new iMac (my feed is actually down at the moment while I work on the transfer from old to new).

Now. Here is the dumbest question I have ever asked but I've searched around and can't figure out what the best solution would be. My old setup runs Nicecast for the feed and has a BCD996XT running via headphone jack on the scanner to a rear headphone input into the Mac. My 2nd headphone input is used for my computer speakers/sub woofer for my music.
The new iMac only has 1 headphone input on it and I still want to use the external stereo speakers for my music. What is my best option to get the audio from the scanner to the computer now that there is only 1 headphone imput on the new iMac? Anybody run into anything like this lately? I have a few ideas on what I may want to try but I'm open to some solutions since my setup has basically been running the same way for many years without a need to change.

PrivatelyJeff

Has more money than sense
Premium Subscriber
Check amazon for a separator cable that separates out the headphone and microphone connections or try a USB sound card.

One13Truck

Feed Provider
Check amazon for a separator cable that separates out the headphone and microphone connections or try a USB sound card.

Thank you! Much appreciated!

I got my USB sound card delivered today. All info migrated over so Nicecast was ready to go on the new computer. After an hour of stomping, screaming, hair pulling, and using many words not fit for family TV because I couldn't get the new computer to switch the audio default from the internal mic to the new USB input I finally got it working. Who would think that by putting the audio chord from the scanner to the USB in the opposite color impute that it says in the instructions would work? I'm glad I tried. But it does appear that the new USB input is a LOT louder so I'm still trying to tweak the volume to find the new sweet spot. But that is a much easier thing to fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.