"Serving" over a LTE Modem

Status
Not open for further replies.

k4gps

Sadly in my rural area we have no hard wired internet and everyone uses a Verizon LTE modem in this area for internet connections, no other service providers reach out this far and even the Verizon signal is weak due to dense woods.

Has anyone been able to use their LTE modem to remotely control their equipment back home. When I had a 3G modem I was perfectly fine, even ran a small on-line weather station from the house. When I switched to LTE I lost all incoming connectivity, came to find out it seems as if incoming PORTS are blocked.

Is there a way around this ? I would love remote access to my radio devices at home while I am away.

DC31

Feed Provider
Sadly in my rural area we have no hard wired internet and everyone uses a Verizon LTE modem in this area for internet connections, no other service providers reach out this far and even the Verizon signal is weak due to dense woods.

Has anyone been able to use their LTE modem to remotely control their equipment back home. When I had a 3G modem I was perfectly fine, even ran a small on-line weather station from the house. When I switched to LTE I lost all incoming connectivity, came to find out it seems as if incoming PORTS are blocked.

Is there a way around this ? I would love remote access to my radio devices at home while I am away.

How were you doing remote access in the past when it did work? SSH? VNC? Teamviewer or something similar? What methods have you tried with LTE that don’t work?

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
You might have to talk with your service provider about getting a static IP address. Many block incoming ports on "residential" service.

k4gps

Nothing like that. I was using port 80 I had a web server on a small desktop connected to a weather station and it generated a nice little web page with graphs stats and current conditions.

Upgraded from 3G to 4G then one day I wanted to look at conditions while I was away and nothing. Tried pinging my web address via dyndns and it would not respond... tried a port scan and nothing. Thinking it was a configuration issue or something broke with the apachie server I just gave up was not super important.

Bought a pan Tilt security camera installed it works great inside the home network, tried getting to it from outside the network and nothing! Did some reading on the web and it looked as if all incoming ports are blocked on LTE.. but I see some hams doing stuff wirelessly thru their modems. Wondering if there is a way around it, I also tried the DMZ feature of the modem and nothing.

Yes possibly have to pay for a static address/business account I hope not. I guess I can call but just wondering if there is a work around prior to me considering paying a premium on my already expensive phone bill.

DC31

Feed Provider
Nothing like that. I was using port 80 I had a web server on a small desktop connected to a weather station and it generated a nice little web page with graphs stats and current conditions.

Upgraded from 3G to 4G then one day I wanted to look at conditions while I was away and nothing. Tried pinging my web address via dyndns and it would not respond... tried a port scan and nothing. Thinking it was a configuration issue or something broke with the apachie server I just gave up was not super important.

Bought a pan Tilt security camera installed it works great inside the home network, tried getting to it from outside the network and nothing! Did some reading on the web and it looked as if all incoming ports are blocked on LTE.. but I see some hams doing stuff wirelessly thru their modems. Wondering if there is a way around it, I also tried the DMZ feature of the modem and nothing.

Yes possibly have to pay for a static address/business account I hope not. I guess I can call but just wondering if there is a work around prior to me considering paying a premium on my already expensive phone bill.

I have no idea if this will work for you but let me describe how I have done it. I have a fleet of raspberry pi's spread across the nation. Most of the ones that are actually mine are within about 10 miles of home. The recent versions of the pi software come with RealVNC installed. What I have now done is to enable cloud connectivity through RealVNC. On a pi with that enabled, I can pick it up and move it to a totally new location, plug ethernet in and have remote access immediately, no configuration to do. I am pretty sure that I have done it through the hot spot on my iPhone which is LTE through ATT. Once into the remote unit through RVNC then you can do anything on that remote network that you can do from a computer at that network. For example, I can log into the remote unit, open a web browser, log into the network router at that remote location and make changes.

You wouldn't need to use a pi for this. RealVNC (home) for personal use is free and you could install it on one of your computers at home. Connect into that computer and it is just like you are sitting at that computer.

Again, no guarantees that this will solve your VZW LTE issue but it might be worth a try.

Jim

k4gps

It may... I have used VNC in the past but never off a cloud server. I was looking to do this for both control of my scanner but also control of my SDR Play receiver using my PI3.Both just arrived and I have built the PI and configured it with SDR Pi. I also got the SDRPlay2 today and installed it in my laptop. Tonight I hope to get the SDR on the PI3 and get that working.

The cloud server MAY BE the trick. I do not have ATT but we will see...

DC31

Feed Provider
It may... I have used VNC in the past but never off a cloud server. I was looking to do this for both control of my scanner but also control of my SDR Play receiver using my PI3.Both just arrived and I have built the PI and configured it with SDR Pi. I also got the SDRPlay2 today and installed it in my laptop. Tonight I hope to get the SDR on the PI3 and get that working.

The cloud server MAY BE the trick. I do not have ATT but we will see...

Good luck with the SDR on the pi3. I have never been able to get that to work. There are some long threads on this forum about it. Some seem to be able to make it work, others not so.

Even if you just set up your pi3 with RealVNC to gain access to the home network you should be able then to control any of your devices from there I would hope.

k4gps

There is actually a distro now out there with everything prepackaged and using Cubic....we will see.

DC31

Feed Provider
Are you talking about this SDR?
https://www.sdrplay.com/rsp2/

looks better than dongle type SDR. Curious to know results of testing.
What is 'Cubic'?

I think that you are looking at $100+ for the RSP to use with that software.

In studying the CubicSDR documentation, everything sounded like it should work with the $10 RTL-SDR dongles. So I downloaded it and gave it a test run with two of the dongles I have collecting dust. Still no joy. It wouldn't recognize either of the dongles. Maybe it is just me...

k4gps

I have both Rhe RSP2pro and a RTL Dongle... Both work well learning the RSP2 now and once I got that down I will switch over to the PI3 and try it.

Status
Not open for further replies.