Feed Statistics

Status
Not open for further replies.

K5DVT

Feed Provider
I've been streaming on and off for a long time now. For the past month I've had a stream up, and added 2 more on to my list. I plan on keeping them up since I'm using a Raspberry Pi and not a Windoze PC as I did in the past, which was prone to knocking my feed offline. I know many of you have been streaming WAY longer than I have, some probably more than 10 years. I was wondering how long you've been streaming, and what your average up-time is, data transfer is,etc.

DC31

Feed Provider
I've been streaming on and off for a long time now. For the past month I've had a stream up, and added 2 more on to my list. I plan on keeping them up since I'm using a Raspberry Pi and not a Windoze PC as I did in the past, which was prone to knocking my feed offline. I know many of you have been streaming WAY longer than I have, some probably more than 10 years. I was wondering how long you've been streaming, and what your average up-time is, data transfer is,etc.
Does this provide the info you are curious about?

This is also from a Raspberry Pi running dark-ice. The most common cause of downtime is when the isp is down. This happens occasionally in the wee hours of the morning for probably less than 10 minutes. I guess the ISP is doing maintenance or an update. Second is when someone makes changes to the network at the fire station.

In five years, darkice itself has failed maybe once requiring a restart. My pi does an auto reboot every day at midnight.

Attachments

• 229799F2-506B-4A3B-8678-D58F6FB1B39E.jpg
    229799F2-506B-4A3B-8678-D58F6FB1B39E.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:

rbm

I've been streaming one of my feeds for almost 20 years on various sites.

I now have two feeds on Broadcastify and sometimes as many as 11 private feeds.
(Always at least nine of them.)
In the last few years, they're almost NEVER down.

Before Broadcastify, there was ScanAmerica.
Before that, I was my own feed server for the locals.

Other than loosing power one or two days a year, my feed is up almost 100% now.
I do have generators and solar panels with battery banks if power is out for an extended period.

I'm now running Windows 7 64-bit Pro on eleven computers.
It took a while back around 2007 for Windows 7 to become stable.
Now, it's ROCK SOLID!
I may have to reboot my computers every few months.

Years ago, it wasn't quite so good.
Maybe a reboot every month or two.

Rich

Daily Uptime for December 20017

2iCJUwql.jpg

Daily Listeners for December 20017

XVwqYvZl.jpg

Last edited:

webstar22

RenfrewCountyScanner.com
Feed Provider
Running windows 7, other than the gap where I got flooded it is rock solid.

BTW I use a custom script that pulls my listener count from RR and puts it into my systems monitoring software. I use it for email alerts when it hits x listeners etc..

Attachments

• uptime.jpg
    uptime.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 72

flythunderbird

Feed Provider
I run two feeds; one of them has been up for nearly four years and the other for nearly three years. The feed computer is an HP thin client, modified to use a laptop hard drive and running Windows Embedded Standard 7. This setup is dead silent (no fans) and consumes little power, somewhere in the 20-watt range. The client handles both feeds without any issue; CPU utilization is only 10%-15% for two instances of RadioFeed running simultaneously. Data transfer is in the neighborhood of 10GB/month across both feeds. The average combined uptime for the two feeds is 99.67% since the inception of each feed.

The longest I've gone between reboots is nine months. I used to do an automatic weekly reboot, but for some reason the automatic reboot would randomly cause RadioFeed to mix up the alpha tags for each feed, resulting in the tags for Feed A going out on Feed B and vice-versa. Ending the automatic weekly reboots stopped that problem. I will perform a reboot if I'm doing a software update, changes to one or both feeds, or if there's a rare issue with the thin client.

My feeds and networking hardware run on utility power, but they also have a battery bank and a whole-house standby generator in case utility power is lost. The feeds stay up as long as the ISP stays up.

I've had one hardware failure in the time I've been running feeds; my USB audio interface died and was replaced with an identical one. I've upgraded the freestanding audio compressor/limiter/gate and added an Alinco DM-330MV power supply for the scanners. Future upgrade plans include a 19" rack to mount everything and a new outdoor antenna mast. The addition of a two-channel 31-band equalizer for the audio was considered, but I decided against it as the cost outweighed the benefits.

My ISP tends to perform maintenance in the 1:00am to 3:00am window, so the feed may drop and reconnect in that timespan. That being said, it doesn't happen very often.

Been thinking about experimenting with a Pi for feeds this year ... may do it if I have the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.