optimizing audio quality of my feed

Status
Not open for further replies.

gargamello

Hi,

If this post is not appropriate in this forum section, feel free to move or delete.

I just yesterday got my first feed up and running. I'm using DarkIce on a Raspi with a conventional analog scanner (BCT8) with an audio cable into a USB sound card. Listening to the scanner audio directly, when there's no over air audio, (I've adjusted squelch) it's perfectly silent.

However over my feed I hear a faint, but steady popping or beating noise. I've messed with alsa input levels but that doesn't seem to matter.

Is this a noise issue between my scanner and USB soundcard, a software issue or something else?

Here's the feed in question.
https://www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/27342

Thanks

Chronic

I have a sound on a feed and the popping sound is almost perfectly timed to the blinking light on the wifi / or network link light .

gargamello

I'm using an external USB sound card with blinking LED. Maybe I should introduce a USB extension cable with ferrite beads. I found this helpful when I was playing with SDR dongles. Getting the receiver further from the laptop...

K9DAK

Premium Subscriber
Not sure if the Pi will run this... but I've used the Orban Loudness Meter for years with great results: https://www.orban.com/free-orban-loudness-meter/

Set the output level of your scanner maybe 20% below the point where it overdrives the sound card input, and lower the input level so the signal goes no higher than -3 dbFS on the PPM scale (read the Readme on the Orban website). That should give you the best S/N ratio.

Then, after a period of activity on your feed, download an archive mp3 file and look at it with Audiacity... you should see the waveform peaking at about 90% full scale.

This has worked great for my feed: Quad 3 and Lake Zurich Fire

Hope that helps...

I've messed with alsa input levels but that doesn't seem to matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.