Proscan audio problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danny37

Just downloaded proscan for my PC. Got everything set up but when I try to monitor the audio it's filled with static. I tried messing around with numerous settings and using the sliders but no luck. I used 2 different audio cables. I have the audio going from the headphone jack on bcd536hp straight to a USB sound card connected to the mic interface. I tried listening on both the computer speakers and the USB soundcard and same results.

If it helps I'm running it on Windows 7.

If anyone can help, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
First, I would adjust the ProScan sliders. Move the Right up to 100% and the Left to 0%. Next, check the ProScan Sound Device Input is selected correctly. Next, go into the Win Mixer and verify the Microphone input is enabled, also turn off any enhancements such as Mic Boost. Verify the cable is good. See if the rear scanner external speaker jack works.

With that being said, I would use the Wi-Fi audio for recording, streaming, or using the computer speakers as the audio sounds crystal clear due to no copper interfacing that can cause AC hum, noise pickup, overdriving the sound input, etc.

Last edited:

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
With that being said, I would use the Wi-Fi audio for recording, streaming, or using the computer speakers as the audio sounds crystal clear due to no copper interfacing that can cause AC hum, noise pickup, overdriving the sound input, etc.

+1 on this. Audio quality is much better with a Wi-Fi digital connection than when you use a wired analog connection.

An analog wired connection requires a ground loop isolator to work properly, and not having one can damage the scanner headphone/speaker output, as well as cause severe audio distortion. It also involves an extra digital-to-analog-to-digital conversion, which degrades audio quality significantly unless you have your gain staging adjusted just right. Direct Wi-Fi is simpler, and gives much better quality audio.

Danny37

Oddly enough the rear jack works well, as you guys stated there's a hum when idle. I'll set up wifi when I get a chance but I don't recall seeing a setup explanation in the user manual, Is there a section on wireless setup?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The Wi-Fi setup menu is pretty self-explanatory. You likely want Infrastructure mode, to connect the scanner to an existing router.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I use ProScan with my Uniden BCD996P2 and the audio is flawless. However, I'm using the 'Line Out' jack on the back of the scanner, and 'Line In' on the PC's sound card, not the 'Headphone Jack', or the 'Mic In'.

I'm also using a shielded 3.5mm mono audio cable. Shielded ones are not as common. I actually found new ones on Radio Shack's website recently.

6ft 1/8 Mono Plug to 1/8 Mono Plug Shielded Cable
https://www.radioshack.com/products/6-ft-shielded-cable-2

Danny37

So I set up the scanner using the wifi dongle but I can't get any audio. The TCP keeps disconnecting every 10 seconds or so and the UDP not connected stays on. I entered the IP address in the url with the provided link but can't get it to work.

Any advice?

mule1075

Feed Provider
So I set up the scanner using the wifi dongle but I can't get any audio. The TCP keeps disconnecting every 10 seconds or so and the UDP not connected stays on. I entered the IP address in the url with the provided link but can't get it to work.

Any advice?
What anti-virus are you running?

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber

Any advice?

It's usually caused by not entering in the URL exactly as shown in the example below the box except using your own IP address.. Make sure you don't have spaces or extra characters .

NYRHKY94

Once you have set-up a Wifi connection with the 536 (I use Infrastructure mode) and made note of the IP it has been assigned, make sure you have the Input Sound Device drop down in Proscan set to URL (see picture below). Then make sure the URL address in the URL Setup button reads exactly as follows (with no spaces): rtsp://x.x.x.x/au:scanner.au (replace x.x.x.x with the IP address assigned to the 536 that you made note of earlier). Hope this is helpful.

Attachments

• 536 WIFI URL Setup 1.JPG
    536 WIFI URL Setup 1.JPG
    22.1 KB · Views: 277

Danny37

Do you think they're will ever be a mobile app so we can easily control then scanner from our phones? For the time being I'm using team viewer to remotely control the scanner but trying to change channels with the knobs is near impossible with a touch screen.

NYRHKY94

Pretty sure you can control the scanner using your phone if you set up the Procan Web Server. You would access the scanner via a web page on your phone and can remotely control it from there (virtual scanner with fully functional keypad). Configuration instructions are located on page 24 of the Proscan user manual. Bob can correct me if I'm wrong here ;-)

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Pretty sure you can control the scanner using your phone if you set up the Procan Web Server. You would access the scanner via a web page on your phone and can remotely control it from there (virtual scanner with fully functional keypad). Configuration instructions are located on page 24 of the Proscan user manual. Bob can correct me if I'm wrong here ;-)

Yes, that's absolutely correct, Mike. Thanks.

The area where most have troubles is the Web Browser doesn't see the Web Server from the outside. It's always the Router Port Forwarding needs configured using TCP and the server port number.

NYRHKY94

OK, just setup the Proscan Web Server and confirmed you can access the 536 on your phone and control it via the virtual scanner. Audio is excellent using Wifi on the 536. As Bob has noted, you will need to configure port forwarding in your Router for access outside of your home network. See the screen capture below from an iPhone 6S:

Attachments

• Proscan on iPhone.jpg
    Proscan on iPhone.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 263
Status
Not open for further replies.