collect multiple streams into one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I simultaneously monitor multiple frequencies and would like to place them in one stream. They are low use but when they are used, they all are used simultaneously. Think rural public safety; long periods of no traffic but then a car wreck and fire, police, rescue, EMS all have traffic at the same time. Having four feeds does not make sense and would not give you a good picture of the incident. I have used SDRtrunk and it has a nice feature of being able to simultaneously record multiple trunking calls and then play them back sequentially on the feed.

I am looking for a program to which I can direct multiple streams and if two or more streams are live simultaneously it would then sequentialize them. Stereo would not really fit my design goals.

Does such a program exist or does anyone have any idea on how to manipulate what is out there to do this activity?

flythunderbird

Feed Provider
ffmpeg offers such a merge capability, but it will take a little work on your part. Don't know if it will 'sequentialize' the streams, though.

https://superuser.com/questions/870335/combine-three-live-audio-streams-into-one-live-audio-stream

That being said, you may have difficulty getting any such method to work for more than a few hours due to the fact that Broadcastify now changes the stream URLs - see here for the reason why:

https://forums.radioreference.com/broadcastify-administration/368387-feed-urls-changing-admin-input-please.html#post2914361

Last edited:

dsalomon

Premium Subscriber
One option is Virtual Audio Cable by Eugene Muzychenko (Eugene Muzychenko Software Home Page). There is a one time licensing fee, $25 I think. IMHO. it beats the several other free available alternatives because it is frequently upgraded, Eugene gives great support, and it's the only one that has no cap on the number of virtual cables that you can create.

You would:

1. Create one or more virtual cables
2. Send each of your applications to that virtual cable
3. Send that virtual cable to a speaker (or the input of another program for recording, etc.)

If you go this route, I strongly recommend reading the manual. It has many more options than the competitors, which means it is more complicated to set up. There is a free version available, but it has a time limit and an annoying voice every few seconds on the output stream. But it's good for trying it out to see if it will work for your application.

73 - David, AG4F

Thank you for your quick reply. I will look further into ffmpeg, but from reading the link, it seems ffmpeg will mix the streams and combine the audio at the same time not combine the audio in time. rtlsdr_airband will mix the streams, left, right, etc. like ffmpeg. I want one stream to completely have the feed while another is stored until the transmission is complete, then the other will begin on the feed. Sequentialize is the best description I have at the moment.

I want:
1 aaaaaa
2 bbbb
3 cccccccc

to become:
5 bbbbaaaaaacccccccc

ffmpeg offers such a merge capability, but it will take a little work on your part. Don't know if it will 'sequentialize' the streams, though.

https://superuser.com/questions/870335/combine-three-live-audio-streams-into-one-live-audio-stream

Last edited:

satboy8888

What about individual programs to record whatever clips you want then another program watching those folders and playing new clips as they are finished recording?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

kwikkie76

Hi,

Any luck in finding a program like this?

I got it working with zello. Create zello accounts for each induvidual stream and with vac and vlc you can listen to all streams at once.

But its a lot of work. A simpler way of doing this would be easier

I have not. I am still looking for one. I am surprised that the idea of sequentializing in time multiple low traffic potentially simultaneous streams is not more common.
Perhaps icecast can play files placed into a directory based upon a sort order, then maybe a program which records and saves each transmission as a file could place them into that directory with specific and timestamped filenames.
The other day, after having little traffic for hours, there was a car wreck. The Fire, Police and EMS all received nearly simultaneous calls outs. With sdr airband and the monitored channels on left and right, it was pretty muddy to attempt to understand.
SDRtrunk does what I want well, but I have not been able to get it to work with a non trunking system. It is obviously designed for trunking systems.
ECR

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.